PDA

View Full Version : Does the free dining deal happen every year?

mom2morgan
12-22-2008, 04:34 PM
I think I heard it was in September or October? We're already looking at planning our next trip, and are thinking of trying a different time of year. Both times we've gone it has been in December, on the theory of escaping the worst winter weather here, but both times we've had problems getting home because of winter storms. Aside from the possibility of free dining, anyone have suggestions for a time of year that's good to go? I'm trying to find a balance to get moderate weather and low crowds.

Strmchsr
12-22-2008, 05:28 PM
The "free" dining promotion has occurred in late August through mid to late September. Will they do it again? There's no telling. My guess is they probably will given the slumping economy and popularity of the promotion, but there's no guaranteeing that they will.

It depends on what you want in "good." It's also very hard to find "low" crowds anymore. September is quite hot and though the crowds are not horrible it has become increasingly popular due to the "free" dining promotion. Many folks now plan specifically for that and they keep coming back each year due to the bounceback offers.

October used to be low, and it's generally very good weather, but with MNSSHP and more schools doing fall breaks it has become increasingly crowded. Plus, September and October are peak hurricane season.

December used to be low crowds, but not really any more. January is still fairly low, but that defeats the purpose of trying to get away from the winter weather. Spring is always busy with spring breaks. Summer is swamped. So, my suggestion might be try early to mid November. That's before the winter weather really kicks up and crowds generally are pretty good during that time. It should be especially so with the Soap Weekend going away. Another suggestion might be late April, after Easter. You run into grad nights and some school trips, but nothing too bad and the weather's warm but not overbearing.

Hope that helps.

PetefromRI
12-22-2008, 07:26 PM
We love early May.The weather is hot but not humid,the rain is minimal and there is no chance of a hurricane down there or a snow storm up here(New England).The crowds aren't bad but you will pay regular season rates and I don't recall any specials.It's by far our best time to go.

Belster
12-23-2008, 08:54 PM
My family and I have gone during all different months of the year. This past October was our first time going during that time. I will never go any other month than October. We went the week after Columbus week and the crowds were rather low, I did hear that it was more crowded the week before. The MNSSHP was a blast, the weather was great! The longest line we waited in was 20 minutes.

I will be booking again for next year, I will try to go during free dining, but this will mean I have to go a few weeks earlier.

Hope this helps.

TBY2225
12-26-2008, 04:28 PM
We will be going in September again in 2009 for the 4 year in a row. We have the bounce-back free dining already. So far it has been that they have had the general free dining during the almost same dates.(last year the bounce-back dates we had were a week later than the general dates) I would bet with the economy it will be the same this year!

PAYROLL PRINCESS
12-27-2008, 09:11 PM
My advise is that if you are hoping for the free dining, book the middle of Sept but book with Magical Journeys. They'll keep track of any specials and will automatically apply them to your reservations for you.
As others have said, they probably will do the free dining due to the economy. Just make sure you book your ADRs as early as possible since the good restaurants fill up fast.
I liked going at that time of year. It was hot but not unbearably so. And you can do MNSSHP then too.
The crowds weren't too bad but we were used to going in the summer too so it's all relative.