PDA

View Full Version : New Years Eve???

SoaringDisney
12-22-2008, 12:52 PM
Can anyone tell me that it is worth a trip to the Disney parks on New Years Eve? Would it be more memorable for my kids (ages 9, 11 & 14) in a good way or bad? I know that it will be super crowded, so I guess what I'm trying to ask is will it be worth it?

minnie04
12-22-2008, 02:21 PM
I just asked the same thing this morning. Iknow its going to be crazy ,but is it worth it? I would have to say yes if you havent doen it before (like Me) its just we are always going when there arent crowds,so its hard to imagine the place over crowded. I keep telling myself "it's Disney" its always worth the trip. I just dont want to wake up at dawn to be in the park until midnight and that seems to be the only way to secure a spot. ahhhh this is too hard... well what ever you decide have a good one!:mickey:

minnie04
12-22-2008, 02:24 PM
P.S. I know this is off the subject, but I noticed you are from NC. Thats where I was looking to spend New Years this year. What is with all the cabins being rented there and Tennessee too. last year we booked the day after Xmas with no problem and this year EVERYTHING is booked. Would you happen to know of any places to stay (cabin) close to the Mountains. That I can check out.

Thanks

SoaringDisney
12-23-2008, 04:41 PM
Thanks for your advice on New Year's Eve at Disney. And I am sorry that you are having a hard time finding a cabin in the NC mountains. I have no idea what the rush on mountain cabins is for New Year's Eve. Unfortunately, I live in central NC and hardly visit the mountains or Tennessee. I hear it is lovely, but I prefer Disney or the beach. I wish I had some information to help you out.

Jasper
12-23-2008, 04:56 PM
First of all, if you do plan on being at one of the Disney parks until midnight then yes, you will have to plan on getting up at dawn and spending the full day at one of the parks because of the crowds. As for which park, we find it easier to navigate at Epcot of all the parks when there are large crowds simply because the way the place is laid out it has lots of open space so folks can spread out a bit.

As for cabins in the mountains of Tennessee and such many people are staying closer to home this year so folks from places like Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana, etc. that normally would have flown someplace long distance for the holidays are instead choosing to drive a few hours to the mountains of eastern Tennessee and such.

CanadianWDWFan
12-23-2008, 08:42 PM
We arrived on New Year's Eve for 2006/2007 at 10 am and MK was already closed to any more guests. They weren't even letting resort guests in. So we went to DHS instead. It was crowded but you could move around. In hind sight I wish we had gone to Epcot since the park can handle bigger crowds than any other.

elmjimmlm
12-23-2008, 10:30 PM
We plan on Epcot this year and here is hoping that it wont be that bad...:fingers:

Funforall
12-23-2008, 10:43 PM
We'll be at WDW for New's Years too. As long as you go for the atmosphere and not for hitting all the attractions, you'll have a good time. We will probably be at DHS. We've done Epcot and MK before.

DizneyRox
12-24-2008, 07:00 AM
NYE at Disney is a very memorable occasion, I would be there every year if I could, for no other reason than to not have to visit everyone...

MK - It's a nightmare of a park on any day, even worse on a major holiday. For many, MK IS WDW, so you have large crowds, with almost everyone having a heat seeking stroller. I spend as little time there as possible.

DHS - IMHO, it's only a 1/2 day park to begin with, so it's very easy to get "bored". While the crowds can extend your stay, we were still pretty bored last time we went here. One of the redeeming qualities is they often revert back to "Sorcery in the Sky" but it appears that no longer the case. The problem with that is/was that EVERYONE seems to gather along Hollywood Boulevard, and that area just can't hold people. Hopefully this year they found a way to do fireworks with a bigger viewing area. Because of this though, I can't recommend MGM for NYE.

AK - Due to the animals, they don't normally do a nighttime extraviganza. Even for the MIllennium (NYE 1999) they ended up doing something in the parking lot. I can't say I would gp tp AK. I love the park, but without a nighttime show, I don't think I would enjoy the day as much. One of these years though, I'll give it a shot, jst to see what's doing.

Epcot - In terms of layout, it holds crowds like you wouldn't believe. It's made to entertain it seems. Each country celebrates NYE when it's midnight in their country, so you cold be celebrating the whole day! Food choices are numerous, which I didn't mention before, so finding a spot to eat is probably a little earlier, although at this point, if you don't have reservations, you're out of luck. Fireworks are done over a central feature which makes viewing them much easier.

Epcot is by far the best place for a saner holiday party. By no means is it not going to be crowded, but there's just more to do and see. Seems there's a whole lot more covered areas as well in case the weather takes a turn for the worst.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
12-24-2008, 10:57 AM
I'll say that MK is the worst. You need to get there at like 8am at the latest to guarantee a spot inside. Otherwise, the park typically closes between 10-11am. Last year, CM's were lucky to watch from the rooftops because Main Street is a wall of people and you can't even hide inside the stores because people stand in the doorways. Luckily, MK does their show 29-31st so I'd suggest seeing it earlier.

Epcot is good, but only if you manage to fight through to, and get a spot, at WS. Other parts aren't as bad, but a lot of it does go off from the lagoon, which you can't see from the Future World area. Also, most of places in Future World don't play the music so you won't hear the score....just pretty lights.

DHS is a great place to view the fireworks.....from outside the park, near the Christmas tree. It's actually better than inside the park. Because they are shot from the Chinese Theater and you can see them very well there. That's where we watched 4th of July and music is pumped in.

AK will never do a firework show because of the animals. The noise can cause them to stop producing milk for their young, and even alter their mating patterns. I'd choose to skip that park completely since there is nothing exciting there.

Bring blankets. You may want to nap somewhere since you know, 15+ hours in a park can be tiring.

PirateLover
12-25-2008, 11:35 PM
Epcot - In terms of layout, it holds crowds like you wouldn't believe. It's made to entertain it seems. Each country celebrates NYE when it's midnight in their country, so you cold be celebrating the whole day!

That is awesome! I was not aware of that. One of these years we plan on being insane and doing the whole Christmas-New Years thing at WDW. I think I know what park we'll be at NYE :)

elmjimmlm
12-26-2008, 12:40 PM
That is awesome! I was not aware of that. One of these years we plan on being insane and doing the whole Christmas-New Years thing at WDW. I think I know what park we'll be at NYE :)

I think that this will be the park for us too although my DB is stuck on MK for NYE...I have tried to change his mind but no luck so far...

Mary M
12-27-2008, 09:49 AM
I've heard the resorts do really nice NYE celebrations, too, in case, like me, you don't like big crowds. :crowd: