PDA

View Full Version : REALLY need help - cat allergies and christmas, eek!

Tink2002
12-21-2008, 11:18 PM
So I am allergic to cats. I have known this for quite a while. My boyfriend's family has a long-haired persian. I take Zyrtec and was always able to tolerate being there for short amounts of time here and there, but my family went over to watch the (awesome) football game today and it hit me HARD. I hadn't been there barely at all this fall, and I don't know if being away is making it worse now or WHAT but I have been congested, sneezing nonstop, and miserable ever since... we left around 5 and I'm still sniffling and sneezing as I write this at 11:15.

The problem is that Christmas Eve and Christmas day BOTH involve periods of being there for a few hours and I REALLY don't want to be miserable the whole time! When I got home today I showered, took some benadryl on top of the zyrtec I had already had, and used saline spray - nothing. There are too many people involved to move things somewhere else, so does anyone have any tips for me!?!???

Has anyone tried that stuff you can put around your nose that "blocks" the allergans? Any tips would be greatly appreciated so I can enjoy christmas and not have my face in the tissues the whole time!!!!

NotaGeek
12-22-2008, 01:41 AM
See your doctor and try for some sort of stronger perscription allergy medication. You shouldn't take Zyrtec AND Bendadryl ... sounds like you need professional medical advice. Good luck.

RenDuran
12-22-2008, 08:41 AM
I was going to suggest Benadryl just before you're there...maybe that would be better than after you've been there. I've taken Benadryl on top of Zyrtek when I know I'm going to be around something I'm super sensitive to.

Something that has helped me immensely with allergies is a netipot, but I doubt you want to run to the bathroom throughout the day to rinse!

I don't know how true this is, but I've read that vitamin C can have antihistimine qualities, so maybe up your dose of C. It couldn't hurt this time of year anyway!

Tink2002
12-22-2008, 09:09 AM
Yeah, I'm going to dose up on the allergy meds BEFOREHAND this time... I don't know how crucial professional medical advice is, though, as my mother is an RN and assured me there would be no horrible consequences from some extra antihistamine for a couple days out of the year.

Tick-Tock
12-22-2008, 12:15 PM
Can your boyfriend mention your allergy in a way to spur the family to do some extra vaccuming and dusting before the visit? It might help if they can get some of the cat dander out of the atmosphere. When I know we have allergic family members coming over, I vaccum both the day before and the morning of the visit.

SBETigg
12-22-2008, 01:02 PM
I hope you find something that works. I'm very allergic to cats, too. My husband's family had several long-haired cats when we were dating and it was torture going to his parents' house. I never found anything that really worked but I would use Children's Benadryl so that I wouldn't fall asleep through the festivities. It helped a little. I would definitely take something before arriving.

As an aside, when one of the in-laws' cats was found dead, the in-laws accused me of killing it. Can you believe that? I'm not guilty! :confused: But I think they still suspect me.

betteratmk
12-22-2008, 01:25 PM
Did the attack clear up by the next morning? If not it could be a virus coupled with the allergy. With Zyrtec you need to reach a blood level for it to be effective. Benedryl will wrk faster, take it before you leave and as soon as you get home.(spacing at least 4 hours apart)

Jasper
12-22-2008, 01:48 PM
Maybe they can also move the cat into other quarters for the time you are there.

thrillme
12-22-2008, 02:00 PM
Similar problem only we end up staying for a WEEK...

A doctor might really be able to help more.

But...if you can't get to the doctor...Take Zyrtec twice a day. Once in the morning and once at night before bed. Do this for a couple of days prior to attending.

I don't know how "open" your boyfriend can be with his family BUT...Bathing the cats is phenomonal!!! Of course a good sudsy bath is best but even a good soaking with water can reduce as much as 75% of the allergens.

Pet's Mart/Petco also sell some sprays that are said to reduce dander but I really didn't find it to do much except annoy the cat. Bathing worked MUCH better.

illini
12-22-2008, 02:53 PM
I 'd do nasal washes. They can really work wonders. Start a couple days ahead, and as much of a pain as it is, I'd do one halfway through each visit. It will clear the allergens out of your nose and sinuses. It's kind of yucky to do at first, but it really helps.
Otherwise, they need to lock up the cats and do a very thorough cleaning. That won't keep you from having a reaction, but it should help it from being as bad.
I'm sorry... I know how miserable it is. Hang in there!

TooGoofy
12-22-2008, 06:06 PM
As you know, I am allergic to cats also and my lovely brother (at whose house all our family gatherings are held) has two cats, one of them a long haired Maine coon cat. We never see the darned things, but I know they are there.

Besides the medication that I take (zyrtec, an inhaler, eye drops, etc) the thing that has helped the most is my brother investing in ionic air purifiers. With one of those in the room, my symptoms are drastically reduced, allowing me to enjoy the get together. Another thing that helps is not sitting on any furniture that could collect allergens (any carpet or upholstery). Sit in a wooden chair, if possible.

Hope this helps!

PirateLover
12-22-2008, 10:45 PM
If you can get to a doctor beforehand it would be best, but that's probably going to be very difficult given that today is the 22nd. My entire family has nasty allergies. Generally, It's okay to take benadryl and Zyrtec together in normal doses. You probably want to go with non-drowsy benadryl or Children's as someone else suggested. There is another over the counter pill that I take when things are bad called Clortrimaton (spelling may be off) but it makes me pretty drowsy.

I agree with those who have said to try talking to the family to bath the cats and give the house a thorough cleaning and confining the cats to areas you won't be in. I'm sure they don't want you sneezing and having allergy attacks throughout the holidays! I have a mild cat allergy and a really good friend who has 2 cats. Normally I am fine over her house, but if she hasn't had a chance to vacuum my eyes start to water after about 10 mins. I can only imagine how hard it must be for someone with a major cat allergy. Good luck!