PDA

View Full Version : Sci-fi or 50's Prime Time Cafe'?

hope23
12-21-2008, 07:05 PM
I need to choose between Sci-fi and 50's Prime Time Cafe for an upcoming trip with family... DS 5 and DS 4... what would you choose and why?

albino_pygmy
12-21-2008, 07:55 PM
I'd say go for Sci Fi, since it'll be fun to eat in a car, and you won't have anyone to force you to eat ALL your veggies or keep your elbows off the tables :)

WishesFan13
12-21-2008, 08:26 PM
This is a tough one for me because i really like sci-fi but dh and i ate at 50s prime time for the first time on our last trip and thought it was really good as well. dh says sci-fi because of the cars but that can also be a bad thing because the cars are two people to a seat so even though you're together everyone isn't next to each other. not an issue for us yet since we don't have kids, but my mil didn't like it because we were a large party and were at two tables. mil has to use a scooter so we weren't in a car but were at 2 tables. it has the front and back of a car with a regular four person table in the middle. hmmm still tough but i would go with sci-fi too. great ribs and milkshakes and you can't beat the black and white movie trailers.

CleveSJM
12-21-2008, 10:23 PM
I would have to say Sci-Fi to unless either of your kids are very sensitive to monster movies. They only show quick clips and trailers at the Sci-Fi but they do show old black-and-white movie monsters like The Creature from the Black Lagoon, etc. My DH4 had no problem.

stitchaholic
12-21-2008, 11:27 PM
we loved sci-fi,can't beat the burgers and shakes!:thumbsup:

DisneyFr33k
12-22-2008, 08:58 AM
50's Prime Time for sure. We've been to Sci Fi once, and found that the food portions were small and the movie clips repetitive. We also were seated over 30 minutes late. However, that was 5 years ago, so things might have changed for the better. You can't beat the food and fun of the 50's Prime Time.

mom2morgan
12-22-2008, 10:11 AM
I've never eaten at either, but I always see TERRIBLE reviews for the Sci Fi...but folks here seem to like it, so maybe the reviews are unfair??

ElenitaB
12-22-2008, 01:53 PM
We took my DS to SciFi when he was 6 and he got pretty freaked out by the movies. He loves his thrill rides but did not like the movies... go figure! Might be something to keep in mind.

goofy89
12-22-2008, 02:04 PM
I vote for Sci-fi! It's a really fun place to eat! :mickey:

albino_pygmy
12-22-2008, 03:34 PM
I've never eaten at either, but I always see TERRIBLE reviews for the Sci Fi...but folks here seem to like it, so maybe the reviews are unfair??

From what I've noticed on most forums or review sites, is that they always love to find things wrong with the place and then report about that, and not about how cool it was to eat in a car in a drive in movie set. See what their complaints were about, and sometimes you can tell that they just had much higher expectations than what they experienced, and then other times it really was just the food. You do have to keep in mind you're still at a theme park, and the food there is just that, theme park food, but dressed up a little bit with a high price tag on it, which would then probably make people think it has to be the best thing in the world for those prices, but in reality you're just paying for the overall experience and ambiance. Good example would be at Rainforest Cafe. I went there to get a wrap, and thought it was rather bland and boring and came with a hefty price, but I'd go over to a Bistro McDonalds (which is just a normal McDonalds that also sells 'gourmet' food) and I do have to say the little 5 dollar wrap I got from McDonalds was definately better in comparison to the 30 dollar wrap at Rainforest Cafe, but that doesn't mean I thought the Rainforest Cafe was horrible. I did notice that the company that does Rainforest and T-Rex isn't really worried about quality food as much as their quality in theming and service. Anyways, I've gone off topic again which happens alot with me, something you'll have to get used to when my train of thought derails.

Back on topic: Sci Fi would appeal more to the kids than something themed to your typical house and being told to follow rules. I'm sure as they're older and have a better understanding and appreciation for Prime Time, then they'll probably prefer that over Sci Fi.

baldburke
12-22-2008, 07:11 PM
Go for Prime Time. It is much more entertaining. Sci-Fi is no fun for parties greater than two as you do not sit together. Plus the video loop for Sci-Fi only runs about an hour and soon loses its appeal. The "family" interaction at Prime Time is what makes the meal.

Crow
12-22-2008, 08:42 PM
I am thinking about these 2 for when i take my nephews. Ive been to both and neither is on my must do list again but they may like 1 of them.
Leaning towards SciFi though

rkwctw
12-23-2008, 07:33 PM
Ate at both with children and the kids and my DW and myself would chose Prime Time. The atmosphere is a little better at Sci-Fi, but the people and food are better at 50's Prime Time.

GrmGrninGost
12-26-2008, 01:26 PM
50's Prime Time! It has always been one of my families favorites! We love the food and the 50's atmosphere! As far as Sci-Fi? This is the only restaurant on property I will not eat at again! The food is just awful! :ack:

disneyworld55925592
12-26-2008, 04:30 PM
50s prime is a ton of fun! It's a great experiance!

LudwigVonDrake
12-26-2008, 04:57 PM
50s Prime Time would be my choice. The food is pretty good and the atmosphere is fun. The only thing the Sc-Fi has going for it is the atmosphere.

AmandaChan
12-27-2008, 03:03 AM
Depends. If your family likes attention and have a good sense of humor 50's Prime Time would be great. If NOT, then go to Sci-Fi. Both are equal on the quality of food and service, just very different atmospheres. At Sci-Fi you can kind of be to yourself and the environment is really neat.

SandmanGStefani24
12-28-2008, 12:13 AM
me and the mrs ate at both when we went. it really just comes down to what you're looking for. at the diner, you get great food and nice portions. you are seated sometimes a bit closer to people you dont know, but it can still be fun. the only thing is, you are going to wait a while before being seated. still, we loved it!

scifi is a different animal. you are more in this for the fun than the meal. we had appetizers and dessert here, but still enjoyed what we had. this is more about the ambience and the fun factor than food.

if you're going to eat one meal at the park that day, I would lean towards the diner. if you stay all day, it would be great to catch a quick bite at the scifi. we loved both, and you will enjoy either.

pluto 77
12-28-2008, 12:39 AM
We enjoy both. It really depends on what type of food you are looking for. 50's is great for dinner. They have full meals that are really tasty and remind you of home cooking. Sci Fi on the other hand we prefer for lunch. Great ribs and burgers, as well as milkshakes. Just be sure the movies wont be too scary for your little ones!

Hull-onian
12-28-2008, 11:34 AM
I think the menu choices at 50's Prime Time Cafe is somewhat better. We had a swell time there. Then again, at Sci-Fi, our waiter was from NY and just great to talk to. Our food was mediocore. I don't mind paying for something, but give me the same value what is being charged out.

Sinewiz
12-29-2008, 02:04 PM
For me personaly I slightly prefer Prime Time, but in that you have a couple little ones the atmosphere at Sci-Fi would probably be a bigger hit with the young-uns. ;)

DDuck66
12-30-2008, 03:56 PM
I think I can boil it all down to one sentence. Go to the Sci-Fi for the atmosphere or go to the 50's Prime Time for the food and interaction. I have been to both many times. I have to say that my favorite is the Prime Time. I always go there for birthdays and special occasions. I go there so often that we always have the same waitress. Sister Jamie is great!!!!

shan1021
12-30-2008, 04:20 PM
I def vote for sci-fi drive in. i love it<3. :thumbsup:

bretski99
12-30-2008, 09:05 PM
Maybe someone already said this in the thread, but I would go to the Sci-Fi maybe for shakes, and save 50's for a bigger meal. We've been to both and that's the conclusion we came to.

I agree that many people expect Disney to be perfect in everything and forget they are eating ordinary food in an extraordinary place, and that's what you are paying for. I try to remember that when giving a review on the food at the World. Sci-Fi just did not have great food in our opinion. The shakes were great, and my son liked his burger, but my caeser salad was small and bland. 50's was better. My son's fried chicken was spectacular (I had to have a bite - I call it "Daddy Tax"). I had meatloaf, which was good as well.

That said, of all the restaurants we went to, we agreed that Sci Fi had the best VIBE of any of them, so that's why we are going back but just ordering shakes. Also, someone said in this thread that more than two can't sit together. We sat at a 6-person car (maybe we just got lucky).:thumbsup:

I will warn you though: granted, my oldest son is really sensitive soul, but two years ago when he was 12, he HATED 50's. Part of it was my fault: I didn't warn him that part of the experience includes the waitstaff telling you to take your elbows off the table and clean your plate. It made for the funniest story of the trip (the pics of him at the table are priceless), but he was really uncomfortable during the whole meal (I will say that we had a waiter who was a bit over the top with it). If you have kids (or adults for that matter) that won't get it, don't take them.

cindchan
01-03-2009, 11:04 PM
I never ate at the 50's place. But I eat at Sci-Fi every time? Why? You get to sit in a car, and watch trailers for very bad movies!! It's a lot of fun and I love the place! :stitch: