PDA

View Full Version : Booking One-Way on Airline Carriers

KylesMom
12-21-2008, 10:04 AM
As a business professional, I've always been directed not to purchase flights in one-way increments since it usually will cause security alerts and other such problems.

At this time I am not finding any reasonable flights to Orlando for June, but have found an American flight for $149 on the return trip. We want to utilize a carrier that we can use the Disney Express Check-In service so that we don't have to mess with our bags at the airport.

For those who have booked in one-way increments (different carriers, different airports, etc) what types of problems did you run into, if any? I'm in a quandary on whether I should book our return flight NOW and wait to see if flight costs come down for outbound flights, or if I should wait. Any thoughts?

DizneyRox
12-21-2008, 10:25 AM
I always book one-way with Southwest so I can game their system for better prices, easier...

Only once was I unable to do the online check-in because I had been flagged for a security check. When I called them to inquire. they would neither confirm nor deny that one way tickets were more likely to trigger this security check.

It has been a few years since this happened and it hasn't happened again. I would take your chances. Airlines need to understand they can't charge insane prices, so look out for your wallet first.

dmallan
12-21-2008, 02:21 PM
We booked one way flights with two different carriers in January 08. No problem either way. We went right through security with everyone else.

AdventurelandTikiGirl
12-21-2008, 04:52 PM
I typically book one way tickets with different airlines when I travel in order to get the best deal. I've never had any problems with it. :thumbsup:

teambricker04
12-21-2008, 05:02 PM
I have booked one way tickets on United, Us Airways, Airtran, and Northwest and never had any problems.

Also, I have purchased day of at the counter and never had any problems. And yes, this was all post 9/11.

I say go for it, if you are willing to play the "game". We generally do it this way to get the best flights possible even though it can be hit or miss.

mouseketeer mom
12-21-2008, 05:21 PM
I always search for the best deals, and sometimes booking one ways is the best way to do it. My family has never had a problem doing this.

Seasonscraps
12-21-2008, 06:38 PM
I would rather save money and possibly have my bag double checked then spend more money. I figure I am already at the airport with plenty of time to kill and nothing to hide. Besides, there's no guarantee buying a r/t on one carrier means you won't have to go through an extra security measure.

thumperbug
12-21-2008, 07:16 PM
SW is running a special now....all one way flights. So I guess if you are planning a roundtrip and book it as 2 separate one ways it can't be that big of a problem.

ILoveLegos
12-21-2008, 07:35 PM
I have ocassionally needed one-way tickets to Florida, when I was moving into my 2nd home, putting a car there stuff like that. Also one-way tickets work well because I am seldom totally sure when I'll be going to a different homestead - depends on the projects I'm working on for my company. A lot of people in my southern community are "snow birders" so they do the one-way ticket thingy when it pays better or they need the built in flexibility like me. I'd say go with the best deal, it's your money after all.
As far as the extra security checks, my extended family who sometimes travel with me tease me that I must fit the description list for "the targeted bag checks" (before & after 9-11) - they pass through normally and I get the extra scrutiny and attention. It's a running joke for us, but after a lot of asking around, I finally got a straight forward answer from a couple of people in security that I know. They said it was the matching "Lands End Bags" with my monogram on it! It gets me pulled out of line every time! LOL! Just Kidding! :blush:

Beast_fanatic
12-21-2008, 09:06 PM
Keep in mind that American charges for checked bags, so take that into account in your calculations.

ThanxForNoticin
12-22-2008, 12:26 PM
We fly a lot, and quite often we'll purchase multiple 'one-way' tickets to get the best deals. We've not had any security issues doing it that way. I would not be concerned if you travel that way.

MILWDIANA
12-22-2008, 02:45 PM
Just went down in October. Flew United down and Airtran back. Got the best prices and the exact times we wanted. Had no problems. No extra security checks. :mickey:

TheRustyScupper
12-22-2008, 03:05 PM
As a business professional, I've always been directed not to purchase flights in one-way increments since it usually will cause security alerts and other such problems.

1) Not a problem.
2) Too many 1-way tickets these days.
3) What prompts a query is (at least two of the three)
. . . one way ticket
. . . lots of cash
. . . no luggage
4) There is no "test" for terrorists, but this is a sign of drug couriers. *

* According to a USA Today story.