PDA

View Full Version : Our "dining reviews" from last week...

mom2morgan
12-20-2008, 09:28 AM
My big story is the little bit of Disney Magic I got when I screwed up my reservation! :-) In my defense, I had stomache flu the first two days of the vacation, so I wasn't at the top of my "A" game on day 3. We went to Universal that day, and had our cab drop us off at the Beachclub just in time for our reservation at Cape May. Where, of course, they'd never heard of us. I went to the concierge desk where he checked my reservations and told me I was supposed to be at O'Hana's in 20 minutes. I think I was looking a little tearful at that point - it had been a LONGGG day. I asked him the fastest way to get to the Polynesian, and he wrote up a ticket for Yellow Cab and said "Just go right out this door and hop in a cab, on us!!". Wow! :mickey: Anyway, here's where we ate and how we liked it:
O'Hana's - my new favourite. LOVED it!! My hubby also loved it - the food, the service the atmosphere- everything! My daughters wern't as wild about the food, but they did love the banana bread pudding.
Cape May - DH and youngest daughter really liked it. Me and older DD thought it was a pretty standard buffet - enough palatable food, but nothing to get excited about.
Boma - Older DD and I really liked this, and I could go for a Zebra Dome right now ;-) We aren't adventurous, but found lots of "regular" food, and I found the beef really tasty. DH didn't like the spices they used and found the restaurant to "chaotic" (hello! it's Disney!).
Chef Mickey's - food was pretty mediocre. DD and I found it the same as Cape May, DH really didn't like it at all - his least favourite meal of the trip. DD 9 loved it, of course, for the characters and the sundae bar.
Cinderella's Table - Had to do it once. Wouldn't do it again. I've heard bad reviews of the food, but my DH and DD said the Major Domo (did I get that right?) was really, really good. My pork tenderloin wasn't that great, but it was all right. But it's really more suited to younger children - I think my 9 year old is too old to really get into the princess thing, especially since she has more of a pirate personality. It was very crowded, waited quite a while to be seated, and I just can't justify spending the amount of money that it is for the meal that it was.
California Grill - spectacular! The BEST steak I have ever had in my life. We all loved the food, although DH found the portions small (too many buffets in previous days?) . Lovely view of "Wishes". Again, I'd have a hard time doing it again though, because of the cost. The tip alone would buy me and DH dinner at home!
Rose and Crown - Enjoyed it, had the steak and fish.Both were done well. My younger DD was really disappointed that the didn't have fish and chips on the kids menu - this IS an English pub, after all! - so we asked, and they DID give her that for her meal (they said they get a lot of requests). Didn't care for the desserts. Only disappointment here was that we timed it to see Illuminations, and found that their patio still gets SO crowded that we didn't have a clear view - I don't think it was much better than standing with the crowds on the street.
We also decided to have a couple of "counter service" meals at the food courts of Grand Floridian and Wilderness Lodge, as an opportunity to see the resorts. Very surprised to see how tiny these fast service areas were, as the one at POR is HUGE. Maybe it's because people who can afford to stay in Deluxes mostly like sit-down restaurants??

ElenitaB
12-20-2008, 02:11 PM
Thanks for sharing your impressions. I concur with most of what you said... but was very impressed with the manager at Cape May giving you a car voucher to get to 'Ohana. That was VERY nice.

I never thought about the size of the food court at WL. It is rather small when compared to Riverside Mill or Sassagoula. I wonder why that is. On the other hand, it's never terribly crowded but we tend to go at off hours.

stitchaholic
12-20-2008, 07:40 PM
oh,i am dissapointed to hear about cape may,i was excited to go there on our second night there( in 36 days from now) in order to go to the clam bake,it sounded so good!
but i am glad to hear about ohana's,i called several times in the last week and changed our schedual around 3 times so that we can eat there,what did your 9 year old think of the coconut races? i have a nine and a 7 year old who probably won't love the food either.:lei:

pdrlkr
12-21-2008, 09:21 AM
Thanks for the Reviews! :smickey:

mom2morgan
12-21-2008, 10:35 AM
oh,i am dissapointed to hear about cape may,i was excited to go there on our second night there( in 36 days from now) in order to go to the clam bake,it sounded so good!
but i am glad to hear about ohana's,i called several times in the last week and changed our schedual around 3 times so that we can eat there,what did your 9 year old think of the coconut races? i have a nine and a 7 year old who probably won't love the food either.:lei:
We kind of missed all the kids stuff because we were very tired and in a quiet back corner...we didn't see the possibilities for kid fun until we were leaving, which was all right since my 9 year old was in no condition to hula or race at that point ;-) They DID come around and give all the kids flower leis. I also think there's plenty of food kids should like, and that mine were influenced by being so darn tired. As for Cape May - you'll probably enjoy your meal....my husband really did like the clams and peel-and-eat shrimp (I don't eat either one).

iheartdisney
12-21-2008, 07:50 PM
Thanks for your review! You confirmed my choices for our next visit. :mickey: