PDA

View Full Version : Anotehr Very Mickey Christmas Part 4

Marceline
12-20-2008, 12:55 AM
Day 4, December 5th --- This day we seemed to hit our stride. My DH had surrendered all will to complain and punch my buttons....he was falling under the irresistable Disney spell. He began mumbling to himself about how we could probably live forever just fine in a hotel room like this. heehee I let my two mouseketeers sleep in while I tended to some personal plans. I showered and dressed, grabbed my trusty refillable mug and headed down to brew my twice daily cup of tea. I drizzled honey into my cup before I left the room. I am ever-so picky about my sweetner of choice and brought a bottle of local wildflower honey with me...as dictated by my inner-Pooh bear. I am utterly blessed at Disney as everywhere I go I find Twinnings Tea, my favotire and most trusted brand. As you can imagine the Twinnings store in the UK pavilion is certainly a happy spot for me. DH discovered the shortbread cookies there and invested in a humungous tin of them. Anywho, back to my steeping moring tea....I prepped it prefectly with a dash of half and half and then headed up into the lobby for a sit and a wait.

My plan this morning was to indulge myself in the Wonders of the Lodge tour. I had no idea what it might be like or who to look for as my guide. I asked a nice girl at the check-in counter and she said to look for a man with a ranger hat. Kee-dokey! I had a few minutes so I settled into one of the compfy chairs and sat in Zen-like bliss before the mighty Christmas tree. I absolutely love the bustle of the WL lobby. People coming and going, some sitting engrossed in a newspaper, their thoughts, one another, or in the moment. The occasional clatter and uproar of fun from Whisperin' Canyon, the constant and soothing bubbling spring and the wooden thud thud of the children skipping over the bridge. Giggles, squeals, and murmurs mixed with elevator dings, those green automatic doors
whooshing open and the Soft creaking of rocking chairs in front of the fireplace. The lobby ALWAYS smells the same, like smokey bbq mixed with a hint of chlorine from the "hot-spring". I want to bottle that scent and rub it behind my ears. A few sips into my tea and I saw the fella I was looking for. A slight and slyly grinning older gentleman in a ranger hat had gathered two retired couples near one of the four massive support poles. I sidled up to join them, asking "is this the Lodge tour?" The gray-haired man in the hat replied with a wink, "Well, it is if you can behave yourself." "I'll try my best." I said with a grin.

Stan was his name and he was the sweetest most sincere fella ever. His true love for Disney and his deep admiration for "Uncle Walt" as he referred to him was real and evident. Every time he mentioned Walt he echoed that the man was a genius, a real genius....and I can only whole-heartedly agree. He drew us close in a circle and spoke softly, sometimes barely audible against the dull roar of the cheerful lobby. He told us as much about himself as he did the Lodge. He was originally from New Jersey, a shipyard welder by trade, who at the age of 60 picked up and headed down to sunny Florida in order to be closer to his grandchild. He simply had to watch them grow. His SIL told him to sign up with the Disney company as they would surely put him to work, and surely they did. Not as a shop welder as he thought but as a busdriver, as he had previous experience as a Sunday school driver back in Jersey. heh He drove the routes within Fort Wilderness for years and spoke of the sad day when they shut down the
steam train there. Since the Lodge was built on old FW Campground land, he watched with intense interest the progression of it's construction. He offered the neat tid-bit that this hotel was actually an idea in Walt's noodle as part of the original "Florida Project" conceptions. It didn't have a name yet but Walt knew that on this spot, off the shore of Bay Lake there would be a hotel and it should be something like the Old Faithful Inn in Yellowstone. Dern tootin' spot-on rendition if ya ask me. I also agree with Stan that this was the best piece of property on Disney property....but like I said earlier...shhhhhh, it's a secret. He also went on to tell us about the mini-museum dedicated to Walt's love of trains that can be found in a special room off the entrance to the WL Villas. It's a simple, understated little nook of a room. You'd walk right through and miss it's importance if you didn't know. Among a few paintings and photos of Walt and trains there are two wonderful items under glass. The first is THE gorgeous scale model for the Lilly-Belle built by Walt Disney and Walter Broggie. This was a scale model for the miniature steam railroad called the Carolwood Pacific Line that Disney created for his backyard enjoyment, that famously had a tunnel that ran under his wife's garden beds. The second gem under glass was two of the remaining cars from this miniature but ridable railroad whimsy. Walt's love of trains, was a huge guiding inspiration in the creation of Disneyland. SO in this little known WLV resting spot, is a hint of the origins of it all.

The tour wasn't a walking tour much, it was more of the Lodge through the twinkle in Stan's eye. However, I now know the difference between real wood and "Disney-wood" , exactly how long it took to carve the two totem poles, and what company made the teepee chandeliers. The tour ended with a ride up to the 4th floor so Stan could point out from a higher vantage point, the Native America creation story that was represented within the structure and floor of the lobby. As he bid the group a thank you and a fine day, he turned to me, leading me to the side. He then offered me one of the greatest compliments of my life...." Your not a cast-member are you?" heheh No, I wish.
"Well you seem like that kind of person that would be very happy here with the Disney company." Ohhhhh, how I know this to be true! I told him how I wanted to be an animator for Disney when I was younger. Ahh but that was an ambition that was much too big for my britches. After college, life, marriage and motherhood took over my lofty dreams. It's all okay with me the way things have turned out. Disney needs me to be a faithful patron and guest at the moment....it's a pretty great position within the company if you think about it. heh-heh He simply saw in me a kindred spirit that carries a deep affection for this grand idea once known only as "The Florida Project."
We chatted for bit about Mission-style furniture and the Gustav Stickley reproductions around the Lodge. He led
me over to the railing and in a whisper showed me a little known hidden Mickey. shhhhhh hee-hee....at's my secret now. It was a touching gift. If I were better at small talk I would have picked his brain all day. I parted Stan's charming company with a promise to see him again, and to bring my Hubby and Kiddo on the tour next time.
I promptly headed for that special room over at the Villas for a brief and meditative sit in front of a crackling fireplace, surrounded by a few of Uncle Walt's favorite things. I didn't realize this at the time.....but this day, December the 5th.....would have been Walt Disney's 107th Birthday. Happy Birthday Uncle Walt......a genius, a real genius.

Eeeeeek, it's not even noon and I am all misty-eyed and filled with warm fuzzies. I shook myself out of my happy morning daze and went to collect my husband and child from the room. We had some park hopping yet to do today!:mickey:

Marceline
12-20-2008, 01:04 AM
Our first stop was a bus back to DHS for some daytime frivolity. As we entered the park we were greeted with a moving High School Musical stage, a sort of one float parade. This became a running joke with my DH and I, as HSM is not his cup of tea in any Universe. He is a punk rock and Bob Dylan afficianado and his first exposure to the existance of HSM was the South Park spoof episode. I had to explain to him what they were spoofing, that is how NOT on his radar it is. Anywho, we giggled and poked at each other as the float went by, and then headed straight back to see about this new fangled Toy-Story Mania ride I heard tale of. Well....that became a no go situation, as all the Fastpasses were out for the day and the stand-by line was holding at a cringe worthy 80 minutes. So we kept on walking, circled around the back and ran right into the Mighty Power Rangers! They are a favorite of my DD and nephews. Unfortunately they were throwing down some wicked cool ending poses and loading up into the Ranger-mobile for their Mighty Morphin potty break. SO I snapped some pics for the boys back home and continued up New York street. MGM...ahhrem..DHS really is great because it is so small and easy to traverse without wearing out.

I had Muppets on my mind, so we headed on over to the theater. On her first trip DD was freaked out by the realness of the 3D and watched Muppetvision with her glasses off....this time she promised to participate. DH however wanted a beer. So we sent him on his way and headed inside for the show. Afterwards we browsed around the Stage One Company Store and I easily caved to a request for a small stuffed Fozzie bear. Who can say no to Fozzie bear? I wanted to take a peak at Tatooine Traders but did not have the desire to stir my stomach on Star Tours. I am huge Star Wars geek so this is one store I wish I could just pack in my suitcase and haul home with me. I was happy to see the Jedi Academy taking place at the ride entrance and snapped some pics for my geek-in-training nephew back home. When I finally had signal on my phone I found out that my DH had given up his beer hunt and exited the park instead. It seems everywhere he went, he was chased by the Highschool Musical float. Screaming little girls would run past him towards it, and moaning goth-teens would beat an angst filled hasty retreat in the opposite direction.

We joined him out front and took the same route as the night before, except this time we took the boat. We hopped off at the YC/BC dock and took a nice beachside stroll to Epcot. Morocco was calling our names for lunch. The Tangierine Cafe is the perfect place for a picky vegetarian to get alot to eat. DH noshed down two falafel filled pitas and discovered a love for their spiced couscous. I found satiety in the chicken shwarma platter. A lot of food for a good price. We then took the afternoon to take the WS tour, or as my DH calls it, Beers Around the World!

DD and I caught the Voices of Libery choir singing a wonderfully harmonic version of The Peace Song and then we caught a viewing of the American Adventure. DD loved it. She left the theater saying...."I love history Mom." How groovy is that. Next up, a prerequisite pretzel in Germany and a rest in the odd non-pavilion called The Outpost.
As we came around to China I opted to partake in the new Joy of Tea stand....since tea does indeed bring me much joy. I got the Peach Oolong Schnapps slush....nummy nummy nummy. A good drink for lightweights like me, the alcohol content was barely perceptible. Once the slush had been ingested, with minimal brain freeze damage, we moved on to Mexico. DD and I popped inside for a ride on Rio de Tiempo....err...the 3 Amigos...errr...the Mexican Donald boatride? This is one slow moving ride that I and my sisters have always loved greatly. It's cheesy, but it is in such a wonderful relaxing setting. I was happy to report to them that the original ride isn't at all diminished by the Ducky additions. It's essentially the same with a few video looped replacements for some of the old ones that could've been seen as sort of glaring stereotypes. Like the people chasing through the monitors trying to sell you things. I don't miss that. But I DID miss the smell of the San Angel Inn. That is another fragrance that I would love to bottle....au de mexican food on el riviera of time. hehe

Time to make our way out of the park and back to the room, tommorow is a big Bibbity Bobbity day and I have to bathe the princess. On our way out, as we were walking by SE, I began campaigning for a quick ride. As we approached the queue, which at this time in the early evening is usually bare, we saw a gaggle of folks waiting to board their time vehicles. DH started to protest aloud about the line....and as he did, we were approached by a castmember in SE uniform. "Are you about to get on this ride?" she asked.....Yes, I replied....."Follow me." She answered mysteriously. She led us to a side door and told us as we walked that she would take us through the VIP entrance. WOWSA....I felt like Mariah Carey or something for a minute. In a brief chit-chat as we walked we found out the girl who gave us this little privilege was from Missouri too, even went to the same University DH and I attended.

Strange co-ink-ee-dink...it really is a .....anyone, anyone.....small world, after all. We were led through a key-coded door, up a half flight of stairs, down a short corridor and then loaded our time machines on the moving walkway used for exiting the ride vehicles. SaaaaWEEET! All the way back my DH chided me about how if hadn't been complaining loudly we never would have gotten to use the VIP entrance....see see see, he chirped at me, complaining is good for something!

Back at the Lodge, we had dinner at good ol' Rrrrroarin' Forks again. At the Mercantile we let the kidlet pick up a set of Fairy figurines for bath toys before retiring to our little one room home. Once again we watched the
wonderful water parade from our balcony. It was a groovy end, to an extra groovy day.

More to come......

Thanks for reading these reports guys. I am having a lot of fun writing them.:thumbsup:

Ahhhh, it takes me back.....to two weeks ago.:D hehehehe

mouseketeer mom
12-20-2008, 08:58 AM
You, my friend, are a magical, positive kind of soul! Your reports are a feel good adventure, right along with you.
My husband did the tour with Stan too. He felt like he learned more about Stan than the lodge!!;)

dolphinmickey9170
12-20-2008, 03:34 PM
I love Stan, that was an awesome day when we met him. You have such a great memory to be able to tell us in such detail, what took place on the tour. Are you a writer? If you aren't, you should seriously consider it is your lifelong profession. You rock at it. I have had a blast reading your reports, and I hate to think that they are going to be coming to an end.

Thanks for sharing.:mickey:

laward32
12-21-2008, 03:52 PM
I love reading your reports. You are so good at writing them. Sounds like you guys had a wonderful time. Thanks for sharing.:mickey:

faline
12-21-2008, 05:41 PM
Congrats on your VIP treatment at Spaceship Earth! I keep meaning to go to the train room at Wilderness Lodge and always forget when I'm there!

DizNee143
12-22-2008, 10:57 AM
sounds like a great day!! thats cool to hear about that resort tour!! im gonna have to check it out when i stay there next novemeber..:mickey:

pdrlkr
12-22-2008, 05:26 PM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey:

KylesMom
12-30-2008, 03:16 PM
I've been too busy thus far reading your reports to comment, but I need to stop and tell you what a wonderful journey you've been taking us all on! You know, we've been Flag Family at the Lodge on three separate occasions, but we've never taken the tour before. I think we'll need to alter that on our next trip in July! Your descriptions of the lodge and the "warm fuzzies" it brings are right on . . .

I'm so excited to get to Day 5!

Suz36
03-28-2009, 09:28 PM
What a wonderful storyteller you are! Thank you for sharing your report. We had the privlidge of meeting Ranger Stan in February when we were able to participate in the Flag Family program. He was such a wonderful person to talk with, he told us all about his fishing adventures and his dream to build a cabin on Discovery Island. Our time spent with Ranger Stan was the highlight of the trip!