PDA

View Full Version : If you are a parent/caregiver of a 4 & 6 year old...

asrai555
12-19-2008, 02:48 PM
What are your favorite restaurants? Why?

I am going alone with my two kids in the end of the Spring. Just getting some ideas and making plans.

For sure I know I am planning a CP character breakfast early one morning.

mouseketeer mom
12-19-2008, 03:14 PM
If I was alone with a 4 and 6 year old, I don't know that I would choose alot of buffets. Its too hard to manage 3 plates, getting up and down with the two kids, and getting thru the lines. I would prefer sit down meals. Thats tough for characters, both CP and Chef Mickeys are buffets. How about Ohanas character breakfast? That is so very child friendly and the characters come to you! Plus they have a little musical parade line the kids can do with the characters. Its wonderful. Garden Grill will no longer have characters when you go, however, the restauant rotates which is fun, and you can see scenes from The Land ride. The food is served family style, they will bring out a childs platter with child friendly foods, plus an adult platter for more grown up tastes, and you can eat off of both if you choose. That has always been one of my kids favorite places.

tink179
12-19-2008, 03:46 PM
I would recommend Ohanas and Chef Mickey's for sure. My boys even liked Park Fare and eating in the castle. Ohana's and Chef Mickey's have great interaction with the kids. They get to dance around and have fun. Plus the food is buffet at Chef Mickey's and at Ohana's it's all you care to eat and they bring it all to your table, so no waiting on orders! I hope this helps.:number1:

asrai555
12-19-2008, 04:33 PM
Ack good point about the buffets but I just can't resist that early entry to MK that the CP gives.

I do plan on trying Ohana's this time, although I haven't decided breakfast or dinner (or both as another Intercotee suggested!)

The other character meal I think we will do is the Liberty Tree Tavern. I love that one.

green ranger
12-19-2008, 05:32 PM
I know our 3 and 5 year old loved Coral Reef in Epcot. They were mesmerized by the floor to ceiling fish tank. It was actually a relaxing dinner.

princessesmom
12-19-2008, 05:39 PM
My younger two children will be 4 and 7 on our February trip (I also have an 11 and 13 yr old). For character meals we are going to CRT for breakfast, Norway princess breakfast, and Garden Grill (they do have characters at dinner) dinner. We are also going to LTT (no more characters unfortunately), Ohana's, LeCellier, Trail's End, H&V, and Boma. I do agree with the prior poster that it will be easier if you avoid buffets. So that would include the last three on my list. We have also eaten at WCC on past trips which is fun and not a buffet. It all depends on what your children like as far as characters and food, there is a lot to choose from. Good luck!

MickeyMomof2
12-19-2008, 07:10 PM
Not to be disagreeable with a previous poster, but I prefer buffets with little ones. You are sure to find something that will please. My kids love Chef Mickey's, Donald's Safari Breakfast, Crystal Palace, and the Norway princess breakfast (my daughter likes this more than my son).

Have a wonderful time!

wdw_bound
12-19-2008, 09:56 PM
Don't forget about Tusker House in AK. It is our new favorite. Try to get an ADR before park opening.

Food is wonderful, character interaction is great, and service was top-notch.

You will probably be fine with your kids ages - I'm assuming the 6 yo can hold their own plate, leaving you to manage for the 4 yo and yourself. I have a 10 yo and a 3.5 yo. I can take them both up to the buffet at the same time without any major problems, although I do try to get the plates full on the first trip to minimize future visits.

Have a great trip! :mickey:

Maleficent's Dad
12-20-2008, 07:56 PM
I am going alone with my two kids in the end of the Spring. Just getting some ideas and making plans.

For sure I know I am planning a CP character breakfast early one morning.
Okay, I understand you're heading to CP - the character meals are always a hit with the young crowd.

Now - do your children have adventurous eating habits? Sophisticated palates, so to speak?

DS is a kid all the way - picky eater from the get-go. Nowadays, he's 10 and sticks to the usual nuggets & fries if we allow it. The most "exotic" he'll eat is grilled mahi-mahi. DD is incredible on the other hand - will eat an array of foods. Her favorite? Roast duck!

The reason I bring this up is because your children *might* appreciate some restaurants that are not the "norm" for kids. Both of my kids LOVE the Flying Fish - and it is not an especially kid friendly place. They also both like ESPN and neither loves sports...

The buffets do have great variety, but the point about managing the kids is VERY valid - DW and I have a tough enough time with two of us monitoring the kids.

Keep in mind how they eat and base your decisions on that. Sure, most places give the same kid menu nowadays, but we've found some places willing to "substitute" items on the kids menu.

And also keep in mind - DO MAKE A RESERVATION for at least one (or more!) place that YOU like and/or want to try! Every restaurant in WDW is pretty much "kid friendly." (With one or two notable exceptions, of course!)

Ropachs
12-20-2008, 08:12 PM
Hands down, Garden Grill, for all the reasons Mousketeer Mom mentioned. Absolutely loved everything about it.
We also had dinner at Ohana which kept our kids entertained (and they brought DS chicken nuggets upon request.) Breakfast may even be better with the characters, can't say, haven't done that.

Kairi_7378
12-21-2008, 11:04 AM
What Frank said!!!

playdead88
12-21-2008, 12:12 PM
just wanted to say you rock for taking two kids by yourself! have a wonderful time :mickey:

OogieBoogieMan
12-21-2008, 10:48 PM
I would take a look at some of the table service restaurants at Epcot. I agree with the previous poster regarding buffets, it seems like it could be interesting to manage with a 4 and a 6 year old. My son loves Mexico, although I have to say I haven't been impressed with the food since the late 90's. Of course, it is all about the kids, so who cares? At any rate, there are a bunch of choices and it may make your life a bit simpler.

mrmcgiv
12-22-2008, 10:42 PM
My kids liked coral reef as well. It was my tought too to avoid a lot of buffets with you and 2 kids. But it depends on how mature your 6YO is and if she/he can handle the plate well.

I liked Cp for dinner over breakfast, but I do not love breakfast food. We also liked 1900 Park fare for dinner as well, but it may be a pain to trek from park to resort back to park with 2 little kids and one adult. Last trip we liked the Norway Dinner. Good Luck

asrai555
12-23-2008, 09:12 PM
just wanted to say you rock for taking two kids by yourself! have a wonderful time :mickey:

i need all the encouragment i can get and this was really very sweet post to read. thank you so much.

asrai555
12-23-2008, 09:18 PM
what about the hoop dee doo revue? would that be something good for them? i have heard it is a pain to get there, but i haven't tried it and like trying new things. can you use a table service credit for it?

stitchaholic
12-24-2008, 05:38 AM
i heard great reviews for the hoop show,we will be going,so i will let you know how the 2 kids and i enjoyed it! it is 2 TS credits for the show,but my sister told me it is not to be missed.
it is too bad you guys won't be down as the same time as us:sad:

wdw_bound
12-24-2008, 08:47 AM
We enjoyed HDDR on our last trip. 10 yo DD laughed the whole time. 3.5 yo DS seemed to enjoy it, but obviously the humor went over his head. Food was not bad - not the greatest meal in the parks, but certainly not in the lower 50% either. Service was wonderful. It's not hard to get to, depending on where you are coming from. You can take a boat from MK and be right there. If you go via another route, you'll also have to take the internal bus, which again is not bad, but probably a bit tiresome with two little ones. At the end of the show, there are resort busses right outside.

The only downside to the experience for us was that we dutifully arrived 30+ minutes before show time, got herded through the photo line, and then had to keep our little guy entertained as we stood there for 25 minutes before they opened the doors. I'm not saying you should arrive late, but I wouldn't get there the moment they opened, either. If you arrive early, take your time exploring the barn and enjoying the playground instead.