PDA

View Full Version : Disney Websites - is this how they make a living?

JoDisney
12-19-2008, 01:05 PM
Sites that give you information about Disney, like Deb Will's Allears, Passporter, etc., do the people that run these sites make money from offering these sites? Is that how they earn a living? I was curious. These people always seem to be going to Disney. How do they generate money for themselves to afford the constant trips and to live on? They are not official Disney sites so they are not being paid by Disney. I am wondering how it works. (I know Passporter has guides they sell, but is that enough to make a living?)

John
12-19-2008, 02:26 PM
I don't know about sites other than mine and Debs but both of us work real jobs. The site here isn't enough to pay the bills - by a long shot.

Passporter might as they have the book business besides their website but I don't know that for sure.

mktiggerman
12-19-2008, 04:40 PM
AFAIK, the DIS makes money from its subscriptions and the owners travel agency.

WDWMagic breaks even from its subscriptions, and is more a labor of love for its owner.

ElenitaB
12-19-2008, 07:35 PM
John was quite modest in his answer... the long hours that he and other senior moderators put in here, updating information and keeping the site running, is a true labor of love and done outside of their "day jobs."

albino_pygmy
12-19-2008, 07:42 PM
If you compare it to making a living as a CM, then yes, they're doing fantastic! :D

Seriously though, most sites are lucky just make enough to keep them up and running because they're just barely making ends meet to keep the site going, so they'll have to rely on some donations to help them keep the site up and running.

Maleficent's Dad
12-20-2008, 07:39 PM
I don't know about sites other than mine and Debs but both of us work real jobs. The site here isn't enough to pay the bills - by a long shot.

Passporter might as they have the book business besides their website but I don't know that for sure.

John was quite modest in his answer... the long hours that he and other senior moderators put in here, updating information and keeping the site running, is a true labor of love and done outside of their "day jobs."
And to both John and Ellen - among all the other people "working" on this site:

THANK YOU!!!
:notworth: :notworth: :notworth:

This is a great place! :mickey:
(And if I ever do meet up with any of you - the first :marg: :beer: is on me!)