PDA

View Full Version : anyone else notice???

Laura670
12-14-2008, 10:22 PM
I'm just wondering if anyone else noticed the parks don't seem as clean??? We were there Dec 8-14th (came home today) and we noticed that the bathrooms are really disgusting.....this isn't like Disney at all. The trash was over flowing in some of the bathrooms. We are also smokers and ALWAYS smoke in the designated areas but we noticed alot of guests smoking all over the parks without cast members saying anything....also not like Disney and the ashtrays were over flowing.We have never experienced anything like that at Disney. It's always been so clean! I was talking to another guest who said that there had been alot of cast members laid off and said they expect to lay off another 1200 after the first of the year (don't know how true this is) We could tell there weren't as many cast members as in previous years and there were very few left that would go out of thier way to make it magical for the guests.....any one else feel the same way???

CaptainJessicaSparrow
12-15-2008, 01:06 AM
There have been no lay offs yet...just a lot of cut hours. It makes a difference. Also, the cuts are expected to be mostly from Events (aside from Special Events and Weddings), and Entertainment (since it makes no money).

eandrsmom
12-15-2008, 07:56 AM
We're here right now, it is much more crowded than expected. I haven't noticed any problems with the parks being dirtier than in the past. Bathrooms have been clean so far. I've seen many cast members walking around with brooms. It looks like the trash was being carried off regularly. I have been pleasantly surprised so far, considering the crowds of people here. What happened to off season?

Ian
12-15-2008, 09:06 AM
We were just down about 10 days ago and I actually thought that, considering the crowds, the parks were pretty clean.

I'll tell you what I did notice, though, that really got my blood boiling ... I noticed what disgusting slobs most people are. :mad:

We were watching the Castle lighting ceremony during MVMCP and everyone sort of packs in around the Castle to watch. Well let me tell you ... when those animals got up and left to disperse into the parks they left behind so much trash I was just completely and totally flabbergasted.

And it wasn't like a stray straw wrapped and a couple of wadded up napkins. Oh no ... I'm talking about half-eaten and dumped over boxes of popcorn, cups of soda, maps, MVMCP brochures ... anything and everything they were too lazy to pick up and drop in one of the myriad of trashcans that were no more than 5 feet away!!

I was actually angry enough that I would have stepped up and yelled at someone if I could have found them. What is wrong with people?? Didn't anyone ever teach these people common decency and some stinkin' manners???

disneymom15
12-15-2008, 09:58 AM
We were just there (Dec3-10) and I thought the parks were very clean. Granted, it's not as clean as it was many years ago, but I thought it was very tidy.

MushuGrl
12-15-2008, 10:56 AM
There always seemed to be someone cleaning whereever we were.

However, we did have one guy that smoked his way through the queue at Expedition Everest.

Laura670
12-15-2008, 11:26 AM
I'll tell you what I did notice, though, that really got my blood boiling ... I noticed what disgusting slobs most people are. :mad:

I agree with this!! I couldn't believe how many people would just leave cups, napkins, ect... where ever they felt like leaving them and most weren't far from a trash can.

BMan62
12-15-2008, 12:07 PM
I agree with this!! I couldn't believe how many people would just leave cups, napkins, ect... where ever they felt like leaving them and most weren't far from a trash can.

Well, you won't find that kind of attitude from DW and I. We get laughs at TS restaurants because we neatly stack all our dirty dishes and dinnerware as well as placing our napkins on the pile. I worked in food service in my early years and know what a pain it can be to bus tables!

buzznwoodysmom
12-15-2008, 01:17 PM
We were just down about 10 days ago and I actually thought that, considering the crowds, the parks were pretty clean.

We were watching the Castle lighting ceremony during MVMCP and everyone sort of packs in around the Castle to watch. Well let me tell you ... when those animals got up and left to disperse into the parks they left behind so much trash I was just completely and totally flabbergasted.

And it wasn't like a stray straw wrapped and a couple of wadded up napkins. Oh no ... I'm talking about half-eaten and dumped over boxes of popcorn, cups of soda, maps, MVMCP brochures ... anything and everything they were too lazy to pick up and drop in one of the myriad of trashcans that were no more than 5 feet away!!

I was actually angry enough that I would have stepped up and yelled at someone if I could have found them. What is wrong with people?? Didn't anyone ever teach these people common decency and some stinkin' manners???

I completely agree with all of this. And its not just at WDW, some people in gerneral are lazy slobs. Bringing my kids to school today I was disgusted. There was a Christmas parade yesterday and apparently people didn't think they should pick up after themselves. For a good mile there was trash all along the road. Gobs of it. Someone even left their chair in a ditch. Even my kids, who are 6 and 8, were disgusted. Then I went on a field trip with my oldest. We went see Bolt, which was really good by the way, however it seems some people don't think they are responsible for taking their trash out of the theater when they exit. I always see people leaving behind all their trash as they exit. It burns me up everytime.

Disney Doll
12-15-2008, 01:31 PM

Agreed!! I think Disney does the best they can to keep up with the messy public. I have seen some really trashy (literally) guests at Disney parks and I'm always amazed by how many people don't think twice about littering. I try to not let other people's behavior effect my vacation, but the littering really does make me mad. It's just such a self absorbed, inconsiderate thing to do. When we were there in October I didn't notice the parks being dirty, but it was a slower time of year. Maybe they are having a tougher time keeping up as crowds increase.

Jasper
12-15-2008, 01:41 PM
I am not going to go into a long rant here but I have to agree that in general Americans seem to have developed a VERY strong sense of entitlement that says "I don't have to worry about the mess I make because I deserve to have someone clean up after me." It absolutely drives me nuts!

ravsluvdisney
12-15-2008, 03:27 PM
Well, you won't find that kind of attitude from DW and I. We get laughs at TS restaurants because we neatly stack all our dirty dishes and dinnerware as well as placing our napkins on the pile. I worked in food service in my early years and know what a pain it can be to bus tables!

LOL!! DW and I joke about doing this also - we call it "pre-bussing".

We were at the World early Nov. and crowds were not bad but we found the parks, resort, etc. to be neat and tidy. :mickey:

CaptainJessicaSparrow
12-15-2008, 05:07 PM
LOL!! DW and I joke about doing this also - we call it "pre-bussing".

We were at the World early Nov. and crowds were not bad but we found the parks, resort, etc. to be neat and tidy. :mickey:

My hospitality mentality forces me to make things easier for everyone.....including stacking plates, and wiping the table after I eat. It also forces me to be a high tipper, hence why I get so much for saying that $2 per person is acceptable for housekeeping and that 20% is standard (although it actually is now the standard according to many etiquette sites and reviews).

thumperbug
12-15-2008, 05:59 PM
We noticed on our last trip that the park was messy. Not for lack of staff but for the sheer numbers of slobs. You can't walk 10 feet without hitting a trash can and the messes we saw just amazed me. I mean there was trash 2 feet from a garbage can. Lazy people.

If I drop a crumb I worry about picking it up.

My next trip is in Feb and I expect to see more of the same. While it doesnt ruin my vacation, it does take a lot away from the Disney Magic. I used to rave about how clean the parks were. Now I worry about stepping or sitting in something.

mrsgaribaldi
12-15-2008, 06:12 PM
We were there Dec 1-6th and I didn't see any problems with the bathrooms. I saw the mess after the crowds but there were always CMs with those big machines getting rid of the mess.

Ian
12-15-2008, 07:32 PM
It's just such a self absorbed, inconsiderate thing to do.That's a really great way of putting it.

And it goes double in a place like WDW where there literally is a trash can every couple of feet. It's very, very low-class and very, very ignorant.

JPL
12-15-2008, 10:18 PM
I just got back last night and I did notice alot of trash and other stuff that you wouldn't have seen a while back. I saw the same piles of garbage after Holiday Wishes as well as after the Christmas Parade on the 11th. People really make me :sick: and nevermind the let me just leave my garbage here and someone will pick it up attitude I also people throwing thier trash in bushes and planters as they were walking by.
I also noticed especially on Saturday night Disney was not prepared to handle the crowds and didn't have nearly enough CMs working. Getting from the Tomorrowland Bridge back to the Exposition Hall was awful. Disney had absolutely no form of crowd control or management personel it was a free for all.

Kairi_7378
12-15-2008, 10:56 PM
.... I'll tell you what I did notice, though, that really got my blood boiling ... I noticed what disgusting slobs most people are. :mad:

I am so glad to see that so many people agree that its not always Disney that's a problem... Sometimes the patrons are very destructive.

DisneyPrincess21
12-15-2008, 11:57 PM
We get laughs at TS restaurants because we neatly stack all our dirty dishes and dinnerware as well as placing our napkins on the pile.

:funny: HAHAHAHA!!!! :funny: Me and my father both do that, and it drives my mother absolutely CRAZY! She hates when we do it. She says "how come you never do that at home?!?" and "why do you do that it's sooo weird" HAHA I don't even realize it half the time I do it, That is until I look over and see my mother glaring at me. It's just like second nature to automatically do it. Well thanks, I feel a little less "weird" now. :D

TinkerbellT421
12-16-2008, 08:31 AM

:ditto::exactly: Nothing gets my goat more than that! ME and DBF get sooo mad when we see people throw things out their window while driving...Thats a big one....One night we were on our way home from our card league and we stopped at a red light and this kid jumps out of the car, runs up to a recycling bin that was on the street for trash day pick-up. AT first I said what is he doing?!?! And then we both said wow we give him props for that....Atleast he had the common decency at a red light to think (Instead of throwing this out the window) theres a recycling bin five feet away in someones driveway. I was thrilled to see that I was like finally someone with common sense! lol

HAHA! Thats so funny! I thought I was the only one that dit that. I also, rip up left over bread and throw it in a dish so it cant be reused, but thats my germ-a-phob issues kicking in lol. :blush:

Ian
12-16-2008, 09:10 AM
I also noticed especially on Saturday night Disney was not prepared to handle the crowds and didn't have nearly enough CMs working. Getting from the Tomorrowland Bridge back to the Exposition Hall was awful. Disney had absolutely no form of crowd control or management personel it was a free for all.You know, I've noticed in general lately that Disney seems to have really abanonded all attempts at crowd control. I've found myself in many free-for-alls down there, lately.

My favorite on our last trip was getting off the monorail at the Poly. They opened all the gates before the doors even opened, so people were all trying to cram in and get off at the same time. It was a mess!

cgriff
12-16-2008, 09:28 AM
I am not going to go into a long rant here but I have to agree that in general Americans seem to have developed a VERY strong sense of entitlement that says "I don't have to worry about the mess I make because I deserve to have someone clean up after me." It absolutely drives me nuts!

I have seen some of our "international" guests behaving badly and leaving messes at Disney Parks too. Jasper may be on to something with the 'sense of entitlement' theory; however, I don't believe that one nationality is guilty more than another. The world has many jerks.

cgriff

CaptainJessicaSparrow
12-16-2008, 09:59 AM
HAHA! Thats so funny! I thought I was the only one that dit that. I also, rip up left over bread and throw it in a dish so it cant be reused, but thats my germ-a-phob issues kicking in lol. :blush:

Trust me, they don't reuse the bread. In fact, I've watch them throw away tons of food, including cooked but unserved food (like, they cooked too much and rather than give it to the CMs or anything, they throw the extra away). Disney knows they can't reuse it.

TinkerbellT421
12-16-2008, 11:41 AM
Trust me, they don't reuse the bread. In fact, I've watch them throw away tons of food, including cooked but unserved food (like, they cooked too much and rather than give it to the CMs or anything, they throw the extra away). Disney knows they can't reuse it.

Thats huge! Someone I knew had worked in a restaurant before and told me horror stories that completely freaked me out and reused food was one. SO now I try to prevent it myself if at all possible! lol. Thats great to know. :D

CaptainJessicaSparrow
12-16-2008, 01:13 PM
I think I died a little when I was working Chef Mickey's and I watched them throw away about half of the beef they didn't use that night from the carving station. And all those delicious little desserts.....it was painful....very painful...

caryrae
12-16-2008, 02:06 PM
I think I died a little when I was working Chef Mickey's and I watched them throw away about half of the beef they didn't use that night from the carving station. And all those delicious little desserts.....it was painful....very painful...

To bad there isn't someway of doing something with all the un-served food instead of throwing it away. Isn't there some homeless shelters or something around they could donate it to or is that not allowed because of health risks or something.

disneyworld55925592
12-16-2008, 05:13 PM
I believe it isn't the staff that is slacking its the guests as many people said. Guests didn't use to leave so much garbage just on the ground and around the park. Lately people leave their garbage everywhere! I'm very surprised at this. It's not only kids either its the adults as well

Ian
12-16-2008, 05:17 PM
To bad there isn't someway of doing something with all the un-served food instead of throwing it away. Isn't there some homeless shelters or something around they could donate it to or is that not allowed because of health risks or something.You can't do that because of health risks. I actually asked one of our servers about this just last week and that's what she told me.

I believe it isn't the staff that is slacking its the guests as many people said. Guests didn't use to leave so much garbage just on the ground and around the park. Lately people leave their garbage everywhere! I'm very surprised at this. It's not only kids either its the adults as wellOh it definitely isn't just the kids. I actually saw more adults littering last trip than I did kids.

And the bad part is ... you guessed it ... they did with with kids in tow. Which means those kids will grow up thinking it's just fine to throw your trash wherever you want to. :mad:

caryrae
12-16-2008, 05:28 PM
You can't do that because of health risks. I actually asked one of our servers about this just last week and that's what she told me.

Seems like giving un-served food would be no different then ordering food from a resturant and having it delivered to your house but I guess better to be safe the sorry.

Oh it definitely isn't just the kids. I actually saw more adults littering last trip than I did kids.

And the bad part is ... you guessed it ... they did with with kids in tow. Which means those kids will grow up thinking it's just fine to throw your trash wherever you want to. :mad:

Wonder what these people would do if everyone who can to there home would just throw their garbage on their floor and yard when the trash can is just in the kitchen or in the garage.

Daisy'sMom
12-16-2008, 06:20 PM
We were there Dec 1-6th and I didn't see any problems with the bathrooms. I saw the mess after the crowds but there were always CMs with those big machines getting rid of the mess.

We were there the same time and did not notice any problems either. Although there were alot of smokers lighting up in the lines. Now I am a former smoker and know it's tough, but I long for the day when the parks become non smoking. People are disregarding the rules everywhere.

JPL
12-16-2008, 06:41 PM
People are disregarding the rules everywhere.

Before a CM jumps in I realize that management is really to blame for not backing CMs in these situations where rules are involved. But basically People are disregarding the rules because Disney doesn't have the backbone to enforce their own rules. I saw someone smoking right in front of uniformed Disney Security Guard who proceeded to walk right by and ignore the guest breaking the rules :shrug: I saw people driving around smoking on their scooters and again not a single CM or security guard said a word to them :mad: So the solution is simple if you want people to follow the rules enforce them.

Laura670
12-16-2008, 09:54 PM
I just got back last night and I did notice alot of trash and other stuff that you wouldn't have seen a while back. I saw the same piles of garbage after Holiday Wishes as well as after the Christmas Parade on the 11th. People really make me :sick: and nevermind the let me just leave my garbage here and someone will pick it up attitude I also people throwing thier trash in bushes and planters as they were walking by.
I also noticed especially on Saturday night Disney was not prepared to handle the crowds and didn't have nearly enough CMs working. Getting from the Tomorrowland Bridge back to the Exposition Hall was awful. Disney had absolutely no form of crowd control or management personel it was a free for all.

We were also there Saturday at MK it was crazy we were trying to get over the bridge from crystal palace to Adventure Land. The crowd was at a stand still neither side would let the other cross over the bridge. All of a sudden I hear someone say "push" and me and my husband look at each other like we couldn't believe what we had just heard. Disney does have to get a better form of crowd control.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
12-17-2008, 01:22 AM
For the record, I would like to point out - I ALWAYS tell people who are smoking outside of the area to move.

It would also help if the maps were up to date. Some have mislabeled areas (AK on the bridge to Dinoland near Boat Dock - it was moved due to the children and the characters but still appears on the map).

Also, some food is given away. Day-old bread, muffins, rolls, danishes, doughnuts (not served, but not sold), and fruit and salads that have passed the expiration (on the day). It is given to Second Harvest. Prepared and cooked foods cannot be given away due to health concerns with holding times and the warm/cold zones of food.

3Cabsfan
12-17-2008, 07:35 AM
Restrooms can get bad in a matter of a few minutes too. It doesn't take as long as some people might think. If the cast member was there a few minutes before and the restroom was hit with a crowd....it does amaze me though how people are so selfish and lazy when it comes to picking up after themselves. Folks wonder why ticket prices are so high. Just the cost of maintaining the parks would boggle the mind!

lindique
12-17-2008, 09:39 AM
I just got back and I found the restrooms to be much worse than usual, especially the floors in quite a few of them. Although it wasn't raining (we had only 1 morning of rain all week), most restroom floors were wet and muddy. I can only assume leaky sinks or toilets were causing the problems - so there are may be maintenance problems that are not being taken care of.

Stich8818
12-17-2008, 10:13 AM
I guess I have to say I am weird also..In my experiances.

-- For me at Disney most often then not someone "misses" a trash can I always pick the stuff up and I am a big clean guy..hand sanitizer is my best friend.

--At the movie theatre there are like 6 garbage cans on the way out..it surprisiing how much time and effort that takes up. That is a messy,messy place after a busy movie. So for me everytime I go to the theatre...its a simple throw away on the way out.

-- Resteraunts...Myself and DW both worked at one...we clean up just as one of the previous posters said..we stack and clean up after ourselves...

Funny story about that we were at the Spirit of Alhoa show and our server who was the best server we had the whole trip there..We kept cleaning up our dishes and what not and she was like " You are a servers dream"..made us feel pretty good....I think thats why my :beer: never hit an empty glass?..

Ian
12-17-2008, 10:38 AM
Wonder what these people would do if everyone who can to there home would just throw their garbage on their floor and yard when the trash can is just in the kitchen or in the garage.I've been tempted to ask a few people that very question. "Do you just throw trash on your kitchen floor at home??"

Before a CM jumps in I realize that management is really to blame for not backing CMs in these situations where rules are involved. But basically People are disregarding the rules because Disney doesn't have the backbone to enforce their own rules.Absolutely. I don't blame the front-line CM who's afraid of putting his job on the line going head-to-head with a guest. It's definitely management's fault for refusing to enforce their own rules.

It wasn't always like this. Disney used to be strict back in the day and that was when it wasn't as necessary because the parks weren't nearly as crowded! Now it's actually important and they've decided to ignore it because it might cost them a few shekels.

Restrooms can get bad in a matter of a few minutes too.Especially when, again, people are such slobs. I can't tell you the number of time I see people washing their hands and splashing water all over the place or dripping soap all over the counters.

Then they just dry their hands, maybe throw the paper towels away, and walk out. If I accidentally make a mess on the sinks, I wipe it up myself before I leave! Again, it's just common courtesy!

DizneyRox
12-18-2008, 08:10 PM
... If I accidentally make a mess on the sinks, I wipe it up myself before I leave! Again, it's just common courtesy!
Unfortunately, in 2008, it's uncommon courtesy! I see the same thing happening at my work... People are, for the most part, slobs...

LauraleeH
12-18-2008, 10:54 PM
The bathrooms are NASTY...but what I hate the most is when the rude guests decide to "relieve themselves" from their gas. It doesn't matter what Park I'm in...they all smell like the Animal Kingdom. It's like I can't walk 20 feet without walking right into another cloud. It honestly ruins the day when you constantly smell that.

teambricker04
12-18-2008, 11:39 PM
[QUOTE=Ian;1796188]You know, I've noticed in general lately that Disney seems to have really abanonded all attempts at crowd control. I've found myself in many free-for-alls down there, lately.QUOTE]

AGREED! We were at WDW for the holiday season in 06 and I was about 5mo pregnant. At the end of the fireworks, before the MVMCP the CMs were trying to get the non party attenders (us) out of the park. It was craziness. I actually got pinned against a CM, her rope, and people pushing me. The CM would NOT let me around her... it was getting scarey as she wasn't really doing her job she was just keeping a group of people stuck in one place with people pushing. Now I know not to go to crowded events at WDW.

I think the parks have good days and bad days with cleanliness. I don't know if all the slobby people go on the same day or WHAT. One trip, MK was always a mess, especially the bathrooms. GAAAAROSSSS!!! (I made sure to tell anyone who would listen what I thought about all the trash, dirt, and overall disgustingness). Our next trip wasn't as bad. People are rude... that is really what it comes down to.

mrmcgiv
12-19-2008, 01:25 PM
I felt in general the hwole disney experience was lacking this time. From the resort, to the parks to the dining. I did not particularly notice that the parks were not clean but some issues with rude CMs. Not to say that some were not great, but others were rude and some dingin exeriences were bad. We absolutely missed the disney magic this trip. It was disappointing.

As for the slobs...I think Disney can bring out the worst in people. Peole will just cut in line, lift their kids right up in front of yours, litter etc I am generally pretty curteous and am shocked at what I have seen there.

bkfree
12-19-2008, 01:40 PM
We just returned from our trip(Dec 3-10) and we had a wonderful trip. From the resort(AKL) to the parks to every meal, it was great and we found not one thing lacking or dirty or disappointing. It was, once again, a magical trip. Bathrooms were always clean and well stocked. All of the CM at the restaurants were attentive and great.
We used the GAC for our son (ASD) and every CM at every ride were amazing, descreet and very accomodating.
We all came home covered with Fairy Dust and many magical memories.

We3
12-19-2008, 02:08 PM
We were there in November, all parks were clean, bathrooms were great and trash was emptied. I pre-bus myself, DH laughs about it but I know what it is like to clean tables, chairs, floors, dishes etc. I haven't forgotten!

big blue and hairy
12-19-2008, 03:48 PM
The parks, resorts, and bathrooms were all clean last week. I agree Ian, people can be unbeleivable slobs. With that thought in mind I'm even more impressed with the cleanliness of the parks.

There is one bad side effect of this, more of those monster vacuum cleaners right after parades and fireworks. They were quick!

:sulley:

jillluvsdisney
12-19-2008, 07:25 PM
We just got back yesterday and I thought overall all the parks seemed pretty clean. The only bathroom that was messy was in FantasyLand. Given the fact that's where all the small kids were that morning, it seemed understandable.

Tables at CS places were wiped and cleared by cast members and garbage cans were emptied. I did see a table at Capt Cooks that had garbage on it that was literally a foot away from the trash container.:confused:

I also saw plenty of cast members walking around sweeping and emptying trash cans.

albino_pygmy
12-19-2008, 07:35 PM
I don't feel the parks are as clean as you'd like to believe. While working at Jungle, there have been numerous times we've had to call custodial to come and empty our cans since they were overflowing, and nobody came for several hours, the can kept overflowing and was more disgusting to stand next to, and it finally took one of us skips to inform the greeter to get people to throw out their trash elsewhere, since the cans in the queue can't hold anymore. I also can't stand how guests take it upon themselves to place trash wherever they felt, in a corner, hiding in some bushes, or "theming" or just drop it wherever they felt like as they were walking to their next destination.

WDW_Obsessed
12-22-2008, 04:24 PM
[QUOTE=Ian;1796459]You can't do that because of health risks. I actually asked one of our servers about this just last week and that's what she told me.

That's too bad! What a waste...that must be particular to the area because we do that in our area every day with the bagels from the bakery I worked, and also the resturaunt my family owns. Shelters are so grateful for it, I can't even tell you.

mom2morgan
12-22-2008, 04:28 PM
I really didn't notice much of a problem this past couple of weeks. The only wet and messy bathroom areas I recall were near water rides - hard to keep the one near Kali really dry! I WAS irritated by inconsiderate smokers - one right outside the entrance for Splash, and then a bunch throwing butts on the paths all over the resort I stayed at. But I have to say that MOST people at Disney are fabulous. I'm sure it's going to get its share of jerks because of the enormous quantity of people coming through, but one of the little hidden treasures I look forward to is that people in general are happy, helpful and nice to each other. I can always strike up a conversation with a stranger on a bus, or in line - and most are wonderful people. Always a chorus of "enjoy your vacation!" or "Have a safe trip home!". Trust me, I don't see the same thing in the "real world". After all, at Disney you know everyone is on vacation and relaxed, and that you at least have a few common experiences to share with any stranger!

Dr. Disney
12-23-2008, 12:43 AM
Overall, I was disappointed w/ the Magic on our last trip, Dec. 8th - 15th. Parks seems dirtier, less staffing, bathroom garbages overflowing, sinks not working, etc. Another problem was the smoking.. nobody was enforcing the policy.. people just lit up whenever they wanted to. My DW is a smoker, and she had no problems looking for a designated area to smoke! This is something I hope is just attributed to the huge crowds, and not a indicator of the WDW to come.

Hammer
12-23-2008, 01:20 AM
I was just at the parks this past weekend. I found the parks to be pretty clean, all things considered. I say that as we did noticed that there did not seem to be as many CMs around.

Regarding the smoking issue. I really don't think you should assume a smoker is trying to intentionally be inconsiderate. We noticed (I travel with a smoker), as Jessica stated earlier in this thread, that the maps show designated smoking areas but they have been moved or eliminated. Right across from Splash in MK, for example, there used to be a smoking area, but the signs are gone, though the map still says it is there. This was especially true in Animal Kingdom and Disney Hollywood Studios. In fact. there was a designated smoking area at DHS that was moved from our last visit 2 months ago, but the map still says it is a smoking area. I am sure that there are many who smoked where the map said it was allowed. As we are Disney veterans, we would just go and find the next closest area, but were not able to find a smoking area between Everest and the park exit, so she had her cigarette once we hit the parking lot. If Disney plans to relocate the smoking areas, they need to make sure the maps reflect the changes and CMs are around to politely help.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
12-23-2008, 10:00 AM
Oh, I know there is one between Everest and the exit. If you exit through Dinoland, it's right behind Chester and Hester's store. If you exit by the Asia Bridge, there is one just on the other side as you reenter Discovery Island. I know because those are the two closest to Boat Dock and I have to send every one there (the map shows one literally right in front of us but it was also moved).

You guys, I strongly encourage you to write to Disney about these things. Don't think it's nagging, or annoying or a waste of your time. If they only ever hear the good, they will think everything is right and nothing will change.

Me personally? I'm fed up with having no parking attendants at DAK any time after 12pm and it's self park, which is annoying because all the lanes are one way and if you go down one and find no parking......you have to go ALL the way around again and since there are no parking attendants, there is no one to open the other side of the parking lot. But as a CM, I can't make complaints because it would be seen as a rather "indictive" thing - an angry, frustrated CM looking for a reason to complain to Disney.

Bri
12-23-2008, 11:53 AM
i did think the parks were dirtier then past trips. also, when we took the keys to the kingdom tour in 2006, one thing that our tour guide pointed out was that you will never see people taking out garbage because they have all different ways to get to the utilidors. i can't not count how many times, especially in the magic kingdom, that people were walking down main street with those huge garbag dumpsters on wheels emptying all the cans on main street. i was really surprised.

Hammer
12-23-2008, 05:26 PM
Oh, I know there is one between Everest and the exit. If you exit through Dinoland, it's right behind Chester and Hester's store. If you exit by the Asia Bridge, there is one just on the other side as you reenter Discovery Island. I know because those are the two closest to Boat Dock and I have to send every one there (the map shows one literally right in front of us but it was also moved).

Jessica, thanks! It wasn't a big deal this trip, as we went in just to ride Everest and we turned around and left (the beauty of an AP) so she just had one once we left the park and got to our car. We will write that down for our next trip, though it isn't until September/October 2009 and they will probably move the areas 3 times by then! There used to be a really great smoking area right after you crossed the Asia bridge. It was down a flight of stairs not far from Drinkwallah (I think). It was nice and out of the traffic flow
but of course it is gone.

I will suggest to my sister that she write a letter of complaint.

EPCOTGAL1
12-30-2008, 02:50 PM
The bathrooms are NASTY...but what I hate the most is when the rude guests decide to "relieve themselves" from their gas. It doesn't matter what Park I'm in...they all smell like the Animal Kingdom. It's like I can't walk 20 feet without walking right into another cloud. It honestly ruins the day when you constantly smell that.

LOL!! I'm mostly a "lurker" but oh boy...that made me laugh because we have a running joke in our family on how many "toots" I had to walk through on each visit! I get annoyed but kinda understand ...

Regarding the restrooms...depends on when and where. While there in November, I think some of them ALWAYS need more attention than others...one of the worst ones (I think) is in MK in the bypass between Frontierland and Adventureland...gross...

Regarding CM's, I found 99.5 percent to be quite nice and very helpful.

Regarding Smokers. My DS(21) is a smoker and let me tell you....we had to find the designated areas each and EVERY time he needed a cigarette (and it was alot..) and none of us had any problem finding the correct area and respected it as it was the "right thing to do". We patiently waited for him and went about our day..a shame other people can't do that.

We stayed at the GF and while my son was outside he witnessed an adult simply spit right on the ground. He was shocked! Unbelievable!

Auroring Good Time
12-30-2008, 03:04 PM
I was down there from Dec 5-14. I found the parks clean. As far as smoking areas, I was there with 3 smokers and they never failed to miss one (lol). i do find it unbelievable that people do not have respect for other people in regards to smoking.
My only comment on the cleanliness was at POP. The hotel was very clean and my room was very clean however, a stomach bug went around our group when we were there and one night my son did not make it. We had a mess in the bathroom at 8:30 at night. I had to call Mousekeeping 3 times, each time telling me they would be there in about 30 minutes, before they finally arrived at 10 p.m. Other than that the trip was fine.

LoriMistress
12-31-2008, 01:11 AM
I've noticed people who treat the parks at their garbage cans/punching bags treat their families and their homes in the same matter as well.

q105birdman
12-31-2008, 09:22 PM
Don't walk through Tom Sawyer's Island first thing in the morning; I would have thought that the trash would have been cleaned up earlier in the morning...I was wrong. It was FILTHY!!!

DryCreek
01-02-2009, 09:58 PM
We visited Six Flags over Texas (Arlington) just a few months ago. It had been several years since I was last there, and I noticed that the overall cleanliness and maintenance had slipped considerably. This may be a trend due to the recent economic downturn. Heck, Six Flags stock (SIX, NYSE) was trading for 16 cents a share last month. It has since doubled. I missed my chance to be rich!