PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Costumes- Need ideas!

PirateLover
12-14-2008, 09:06 PM
On the 23rd, the last day of school before break, my school does a "Carol Sing Off" between all the grades. My class of 8th grade girls is partnered with 3rd graders. Our song is The Chipmunk Song (Christmas Don't Be Late). I am Dave and we have Alvin, Simon, and Theodore. Everyone else is just going to be part of a general Christmas party scene. We have two tall girls who will be Christmas trees flanking the stage, and then we came up with the idea to make other kids presents, ornaments, and candy canes.

For the "presents" I figured they could just wear red or green, have a wrapped box around their mid-section, and slap a bow on their head. But, what do you think would be the best way of fastening the box? I was thinking some kind of shoulder strap? What material should I get?

And, I am not quite sure how to go about making the trees (A big piece of cardboard?), ornaments (involve tin foil somehow?) or candy canes.

I know we have some great crafty minds out there on these boards, so hopefully someone can come up with some ideas!! I have no kids and this is my first year teaching grade schoolers so I've never had to do this before.

Tink2002
12-14-2008, 10:44 PM
OKAY... so I'm not entirely sure how feasible these ideas are without actually trying them... but maybe one or two of them are worth a shot..

For the presents I would simply cut a hole in the top of the box that is big enough to get the child's head through but not so big that it's going to slide down off of the shoulders... the bottom of the box will be entirely open since nobody will see them and their legs need to be able to move, so they can just lower the box over their heads and you don't need to worry about any kind of strap. (I hope this makes sense....) Also, if they don't need to be using their hands you may want to avoid cutting arm holes and the can just keep their hands at their sides inside the box... my sister was the iron monopoly piece during her class' theme of monopoly for homecoming and she said it was horribly uncomfortable to have her arms poking straight out the sides of the box, they got really tired being held up.

phew..... as far as the trees go, I might try a large piece of cardboard (try to get refrigerator boxes from a local store that sells them) and cut a face hole out... you can then attach some kind of strap in the back that holds it to the front of them... I really wish I could draw a picture...hahha..... and I would try attaching actual ornaments (most dollar stores have very inexpensive ones!) with ornament hooks to small holes in the cardboard. The candy canes are tricky, maybe they can dress in red and white stripes and you can create some kind of a hat with felt? Not too sure on that one...

hope some of that helps!

Alligirl
12-15-2008, 01:08 AM
The ideas from tink are great. What about the candy canes wearing red and making stripes with white tape?( We did something similar for a talent show rendition of jail house rock and nobody could tell that the "prisoners" outfits were taped.) Maybe red with white striped poster paper glued onto headbands, for the top?
Good Luck!

PirateLover
12-15-2008, 09:24 AM
Thanks guys, those are some good ideas. I like getting cheap ornaments to hang on the tree. However I am also dressing up kids as ornaments.
I like just cutting the head for the presents however I wonder if it might be hazardous for the 3rd graders not to have use of their arms. Maybe if I cut out more of the side it would allow more mobility.

SBETigg
12-15-2008, 09:40 AM
You can also use old neckties or belts to make suspender-like straps to hold boxes on over the shoulders. Some parents may be willing to donate, or you could pop in to a thrift store.

PirateLover
12-15-2008, 12:58 PM
Great Idea Sherri!
For ornaments, I was thinking maybe we could suspend a hula hoop (possibly also with ties?) and use tin foil to try to make it look like a christmas ball... or do you think that might look more like a hershey kiss?