PDA

View Full Version : Stuck in ice storm in NH-no power

shev
12-14-2008, 07:28 PM
The only thing that keeps me sane is being able to go on this site and dream about my trip in April. We've been staying in a hotel for three days-thank god for free wifi.

DisneyTiff
12-14-2008, 08:57 PM
I'm in ME with no power either. It has been almost three days now... I wish you lots of luck in getting your power back soon.

Now I really can not wait until my trip in March.:mickey:

MNNHFLTX
12-14-2008, 09:28 PM
I feel for you both. I used to live in Merrimack (NH) and can imagine how hard it is to be without power at this time of year. :(

Tink2002
12-14-2008, 10:35 PM
I'm in eastern Maine so luckily mine came back on after only about 8 hours out during the night in the wee hours friday.... but I have friends of the fanily in NH that are probably quite close to your area and have been without since then, too.... Here's hoping that it comes on soon for you guys! I remember having the power out for days and days in '98 and it is horribly inconvenient and NO FUN at all!!!!!

jonsmom
12-15-2008, 05:35 AM
I cant believe how bad the damage is. The news is reporting that it still may be several days before power is restored.

laprana
12-15-2008, 09:53 AM
Sending lots of :pixie::pixie: to the northeast that the mess gets cleaned up and the power comes back on soon! I know what you're all going through and it's no fun at all! We had a huge ice storm in 2006 that knocked out power to the entire area for about a week. It was miserable, especially because it was single digit temperatures and not an empty hotel room to be found anywhere! I hope things get back to normal for all of you very soon!

jrkcr
12-15-2008, 10:31 AM
:vacation::mow::pick:
Think warm thoughts!
:sun:
I hope everyone gets back to their warm houses soon!

Stitchahula
12-15-2008, 11:43 AM
We lost power for about 25 hours, thank god for generators. We managed to stay somewhat warm and keep the fridge/freezer running. It looks so strange with all the trees down. There isn't a single house on my street that hasn't lost a tree. It was so strange Friday morning I was listening to all the branches coming down. There was 1 that came down and clipped the house so I went out to check to see how bad it was. It was about 3 in the morning and I'm out there with a flash light. I got chased back into my house by my tree, I felt like I was in the Wizard of Oz. I heard a loud crack and down came a huge limb right at me so I ran back in the house. The next morning my little boy (age 5) thought it was really neat looking. We were looking out our big window in the living room and saw a huge limb come down across the street. My little guy being so cute did his happy dance saying my first branch. I guess when your little it's exciting to have an ice storm. It was kind of nice seeing it through his eyes. I feel bad for all of those still without power or that have had alot of damage. They are saying it's the worst ice storm we've had I don't know if that's true or not but there was a lot of damage around here.

Tinkerfreak
12-15-2008, 01:24 PM
We lost power from early Friday morning until early this morning. Thank goodness DH is so good at dealing with things like this and is always prepared. He kept the fire stoked so we were not freezing like some of our neighbors, the ones with no fireplace or anything said the temps in the house got down to 38. We also have a generator so that helped alot.
I feel really bad for the people who still don't have power.

estein80
12-15-2008, 02:29 PM
Having grown up in CT, I have been thinking of everyone up north in the ice storm. I know what it is like to be without power "forever," but it was warm. I have been hoping that you all are staying warm.

Hope your power comes back soon, and sending you warm thoughts!

IamBelle
12-15-2008, 04:41 PM
I live close to Salem, NH and our power went out Fri. at 12:30 and didn't come back on until Fri. night at 7. The market here has been w/o power for 2 days and they had to get rid of almost everything. School has been out Fri and 2day because one of them had a water main break or something.I have an aunt that lives in NH and still doesn't have any phone service. It is odd that most areas have pwr here but there are certain places that don't have any.

Dawneeeey
12-15-2008, 06:51 PM
My mom lives near the beach in NH and she is now staying with us. No power yet, and could be out for a few more days. I don't mind though, it's nice having mom around!!!!!

crazypoohbear
12-16-2008, 02:14 PM
We lost our power Thursday night and didn't get it back until Saturday night :(
Listening to the ice storm was eery. All you could here was trees falling everywhere. It sounded like a war going on, loud cracks and trees hitting the ground all around you. You could not tell where the next tree was going to come from. Not only did we lose tree limbs but we had a few trees out back that were uprooted because the tops were so top heavy from the ice. These trees were not new young trees that hadn't taken root, they were all at least 50 years old!
My DH said that several of the guys he works with that live in areas that were even harder hit than us still have no power and aren't expected to get it until next week.
One of the problems is that the utility trucks that have come from other states are refusing to work on certain poles until they know who "owns" the poles. Some are owned by Verizon, National Grid, Comcast, etc. so they don't want to replace the poles or wires until they know they will get paid by the company that owns the poles. :(

shev
12-16-2008, 02:24 PM
Finally got power a couple of hours ago. Five days without was such a bummer.

pixiegoose
12-16-2008, 03:32 PM
My parents live in Windham, NH and they lost power Thursday night/Friday morning and finally got it back Sunday evening. They have a wood stove and a generator, so they could run the fridge and a few heaters/lights but couldn't run the furnace or pumps for water. They came down here Friday, Saturday, and Sunday to shower and get food. I'm just glad that we live south of the magical rain/ice line.

Damon18
12-16-2008, 07:28 PM
I feel for all of those who have been without power for days. I grew up in Hollis N.H and I have a brother who lives in Barrington. Not a fun time of year to be without power. We had an ice storm here in Ottawa about 10 years ago that did the same thing. Some people were without power for a week or more. Hope it is all fixed up soon.

DisneyTiff
12-17-2008, 08:07 PM
Yay!!!! We finally got power back at around 7:00 pm tonight. I was so happy that I did a little dance. My husband laughed at me, and my cats just looked at me like I was going crazy.

I hope everyone else has gotten their power back.