PDA

View Full Version : Latex allergies

Jim&AngieMarriner
12-14-2008, 10:53 AM
Ok folks, i need your combined knowledge. My wife has a latex allergy and id like to know what to avoid. We know the obvious stuff like balloons and the like but what is out there that has latex in it that isnt as obvious. We also know what foods contain the same chemical as latex (bananas, Kiwi, ect). Id just hate for an alergic reaction to reduce the Magic that we are going to share.
Thanks

tinklover
12-14-2008, 11:23 AM
rubber gloves in case of an emergency, they are latex. some band aides have latex in em. some of the foam handle covers like on the rafts for Kali River rapids ( on the lil one's safety bar and the bars for you to hold onto in teh center) may have laytex. it is typically made of teh same stuff on stroller handles and a friend of mine has to cut them off of her children's strollers as she too has a latex allergy.

Nana
12-15-2008, 06:59 PM
It depends on how severe her allergy is. My grandson has a severe airborne latex allergy. For him, he can go into anaphylatic shock even eating the food that has been prepared by someone wearing latex gloves. Most people are allergic to the powder and are ok provided that the item is not in direct contact with them. Here is a website with some of the items that could contain latex: http://www.sbaa.org/atf/cf/%7B99DD789C-904D-467E-A2E4-DF1D36E381C0%7D/Latex_2006.pdf
Please let me know if you have any questions. I am still learning myself, but I will try to answer questions you may have.

LibertyTreeGal
01-13-2009, 05:10 PM
We went through this when our Andy was a baby, all spina bifida kids are presumed allergic until proven otherwise.

Apart from balloons, shops will be your biggest worry (food prep is no longer done with latex gloves but plastic, I believe), many clothing items will have latex bands (but I am sure you already know this).

I would contact Disney directly, they are wonderful with food allergies and latex is a growing problem with many people so they will have a list :)

Enjoy your trip! :mickey:

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
01-13-2009, 05:34 PM
Latex Gloves

Latex gloves are used by some food service personnel. Additionally, it has been reported that on some rides, the lap bars are being checked by CM's wearing latex (not vinyl) gloves. For someone allergic, this can be extremely serious and result in one of two, equally unappealing, situations. In the first situation, the guest may notice it before getting on the ride and being forced to "chicken out" at the last minute; in the other case, it may result in the guest having a reaction during the ride, which, depending on the ride, can be lifethreatening as it is not always possible or safe for a guest to try to access and use their Epi-Pen during the ride itself (reported as occurring on Space Mountain; I cannot independently confirm this).

Other Rides or things to be Careful Around Walt Disney World

Towel animals are fun and wonderful little "gift" that the great Mousekeepers at Walt Disney World resorts sometimes leave for their guests. There's one minor thing that someone who is latex allergic must be aware of and careful about. Almost all towel animals created by mousekeeping will use at least one rubber band to hold it together. Often, that rubber band may be "hidden" in the folds of the animal. However, to the latex allergic person, that can be a tremendous danger. When you pick up the towel animal to admire it or move it from your bed/nightstand, you may accidentally come into contact with the rubber band and have a reaction.

Disney has at times said that they no longer have latex balloons on property. Unfortunately, this is mistaken. Disney's balloon supplier does supply latex balloons in at least 2 cases. First, if you see anyone making balloon animals, until and unless proven otherwise, expect this to be a latex balloon. Additionally, one of the most beloved Disney souvenirs is a latex based balloon: the Mickey Mouse Head Balloon. The Mickey Mouse Head Balloon is a latex balloon shaped in the shape of Mickey's head and then encased in a plastic "outer coating" balloon. However, there remain 2 main dangers with this. First, both the plastic outer balloon and latex inner balloon are exposed at the bottom to inflate both balloons. Additionally, it is unfortunately not uncommon for one or both of these balloons to burst releasing the latex into the air.

The one ride that might be of the most concern for two reasons would be Test Track at Epcot. First, the ride vehicles ride on tires that could potentially, be touched by the guest (though not something that is likely to occur, it is not impossible, especially if the ride breaks down and the guest must be evacuated off the ride). Additionally, the ride involves various tests, including heat and braking, that might result in the "burning" of the tires a little causing latex to be released into the air in certain sections of the ride. It is up to the guest to determine if they are EXTREMELY sensitive to these possibilities. If they are, they might be well advised to skip this ride entirely.

Similarly, the burning of tires (actual burning) as well as the intentional spinning of tires creating smoke at the Lights! Motors! Action! Extreme Stunt Show (Disney's Hollywood Studios) may be very likely to cause latex allergy sufferers problems. It is up to the guest to determine if they are EXTREMELY sensitive to these possibilities. If they are, they might be well advised to skip these attractions entirely.

Disney Ponchos

Just a tip to anyone with latex allergies: DO NOT BUY A RAIN PONCHO at Disney.