PDA

View Full Version : Christmas changes???

Tiggerlovr9000
12-11-2008, 11:05 PM
:(:( Okay I have a question for all of you. My children our 22,19 and 16. This year none of them seem to have the Christmas spirit. Anytime I mention putting up the tree, making Christmas dinner or christmas cookies they just roll their eyes and talk about how much work is involved.. They are bringing me down. Don't even have any shopping to do for them this year because 2 got money for college activities and the youngest wants money so she can shop after Christmas..:(:(Any advice on how to transition to the new stage in our lives..Maybe I can borrow someones 2 year old so I can go see Santa again..:blush::blush:

vicster
12-12-2008, 08:54 AM
I know it's tough as my two kids are older also. Even for me it doesn't seem as fun as when the kids were little. I've hardly done any Christmas shopping because apparently my kids have everything and I'm at a loss as to what to get. My brother just had brain surgery (aneuryisms) so that's making it even tougher for me to get into the spirit. I'm going shopping this weekend so maybe that will do it. I wish I had an answer for you...

Ian
12-12-2008, 08:58 AM
Any advice on how to transition to the new stage in our lives..Maybe I can borrow someones 2 year old so I can go see Santa again..:blush::blush:One word ... Grandkids!

No, just kidding ... I actually think you answered your own question.

There are tons of charities out there that will hook you up with a young child not as fortunate as yours ... why not "adopt" a child at the holidays and focus your energy on bringing some Christmas spirit into their lives this year?

I'll tell you, I adopt at least one child each year to buy gifts for and it really helps make Christmas a little extra special.

vicster
12-12-2008, 09:03 AM
I'll tell you, I adopt at least one child each year to buy gifts for and it really helps make Christmas a little extra special.

Absolutely! I adopt a family every year - there are so many families out there in need and especially more this year. As long as I am able to give to someone else I'll do it. The look on the kids faces is priceless. Why not adopt a family in need and let your children go with you to deliver the gifts? It's a given that my kids go with me and it certainly sheds a new light on things.

Tink2002
12-12-2008, 09:34 AM
I'm 20, and I know it's hard for me sometimes.... when you get to college the stress and pressure in the weeks leading up to Christmas is INSANE and it makes it really hard for me to feel holly and jolly when I'm up to my eyeballs in three projects, two papers, lab assignments, and studying for several final exams all at once. It's the most wonderful time of the year AND the busiest for us. I know that it's true for people who aren't' college students, too, but I was just thinking that if they're anything like me that may be their reasoning.

I think the adopt a child idea is GREAT, though!!!

MississippiDisneyFreak
12-12-2008, 11:50 AM
One word ... Grandkids!

No, just kidding ... I actually think you answered your own question.

There are tons of charities out there that will hook you up with a young child not as fortunate as yours ... why not "adopt" a child at the holidays and focus your energy on bringing some Christmas spirit into their lives this year?

I agree and actually bought for another child this year...it was a lot of fun and I know a needy child will have Christmas...actually it might be fun if you can get your teenage daughter to help you shop for the child:thumbsup:

SurferStitch
12-12-2008, 01:19 PM
My brother just had brain surgery (aneuryisms) so that's making it even tougher for me to get into the spirit. I'm going shopping this weekend so maybe that will do it. I wish I had an answer for you...

I'll keep your brother in my prayers. I know exactly what you're going through. My mom has had 2 ruptured brain aneurysms (1985 and 2005), and almost died both times. She's also had the last aneurysm coiled 3 times now, and still has several others that haven't been treated yet. Best of luck to your brother. My mom is actually doing very well, and can do everything she did before. She's 68 now, and complains that she gets more tired easily, but overall she's great.

DH was diagnosed with MS on 10/26 this year, so I'm not in much of a Christmas spirit either. I've decorated out the wazoo, but it's just not doing the trick. Hopefully he'll be feeling better soon and over his last exacerbation, and it will be a beautiful Christmas for us.

Just remember that Christmas isn't about gifts, or how much you spend on people. I'm really getting back to the true meaning of Christmas this year, and I think that will make me feel a little happier.

pink
12-13-2008, 10:17 AM
I'm 19 and I find that having a younger brother keeps the Christmas spirit alive in our family. I don't know what is going to feel like when he gets older.

Magic Smiles
12-14-2008, 05:03 AM
I know the feeling of lack of Christmas Spirit. Not only is my DS getting older (16), I just lost my Mother in Nov sort of suddenly. This will only be my 2nd Christmas ever without her. The 1st was years ago and my Father has been gone for years. To top it off our best friends will be on a cruise over Christmas. I know that it will be very different and hard this year, but I keep trying to get into the spirit of things. Shopping for gifts is done, house mostly decorated as DH does the decorating, but I can't get myself into it. Looking outside it is the perfect Christmas scene as light snow is falling, the homes are decorated with lights, but my Christmas Spirit is missing.

Tiggerlovr9000
12-17-2008, 01:52 PM
I know it's tough as my two kids are older also. Even for me it doesn't seem as fun as when the kids were little. I've hardly done any Christmas shopping because apparently my kids have everything and I'm at a loss as to what to get. My brother just had brain surgery (aneuryisms) so that's making it even tougher for me to get into the spirit. I'm going shopping this weekend so maybe that will do it. I wish I had an answer for you... Sorry to hear about your brother. How is he doing? To everyone else thanks for the advice. I definitely try ro teach my kids about helping people that don't have as much as they do. I am also now in the Christmas spirit because it snowed.:) I love snow. Merry Christmas everyone..

vicster
12-17-2008, 02:05 PM
Sorry to hear about your brother. How is he doing?

Thanks - my brother went home yesterday. It was touch and go for a while but so far all is well.

Georgesgirl1
12-21-2008, 03:51 AM
I am having a hard time getting in the spirit this year. I am 37 weeks pregnant and for the first time in my life I just want Christmas to be over so I can be closer to meeting my little boy!

My dad won't let us ask for money so there are always presents to open on Christmas. Well, we can ask for money, but we won't get it! Of course, he also made my brother and I leave out milk and cookies for Santa until we went to college. He said if we didn't leave out cookies we didn't get presents! So basically he just made us play along with the Christmas spirit if we wanted to get our gifts. It did always make Christmas more fun!:santa: