PDA

View Full Version : Taking a Cab

Airblue1
12-10-2008, 02:13 PM
I might be overly concerned about Christmas time at the parks, however I have booked some early meals and would like to get to the parks and these ADR's without a problem. Do you all think I should call a cab or try the bus sevices. My concern is getting to the places on time without a true understanding of the Christmas Season Crowds.

Strmchsr
12-10-2008, 02:55 PM
WDW has very efficient bus service, but at crowded times of the year it might be a gamble. It really depends on your dates. Before Dec 20 I think you'll be fine to take the buses. After Dec 20 it might be better to use a cab. If you're going to be doing this for several mornings it might be cheaper to rent a car.

teambricker04
12-10-2008, 03:42 PM
Also are you going from resort to resort or to the parks? I agree... it is a gamble and a car may be a better option.

starrmomof2
12-10-2008, 08:42 PM
I'd echo the sentiment that if you are going to do it often to rent a car. When we were there in Sept, we had early reservations at AK for breakfast. We decided to take a cab so we wouldn't miss our ADR. From the Wilderness Lodge to AK (and I realize that those two points are some of the farthest apart) cost us almost $30 in fare. Too late to second think it, but I wish we had allowed more time to explore other alternatives.

Goes4FastPass
12-11-2008, 11:57 AM
I think this is a good question for your Lobby Concierge. They have a real good feel for details like getting to pre-park opening ADRs and their knowledge isn't general but specific to your resort and time of year.

The Lobby Concierge may also give you a key piece of info like, "tomorrow am the first bus to park___ is at ___ and there won't be another one until ___." Put another way, you don't want to find our that there was a bus that could'ave gotten your party to your ADR - and it left 3 minutes ago.

As far as car rental goes, check the price. Cabs are lobby front door to park entrance service - driving a rental car isn't and you'll buy several cab rides before you exceed what a rental car costs.

Airblue1
12-11-2008, 12:07 PM
Thank you very much. These are fantastic responses. This is our first time at AKL and have stayed at several places such as P New Orleans and have had to go to Riverside etc... before even hitting the road. I do think AKL has only one stop, if so that would be a cure for a lot of my anxiety. But if there is going to be a line out the wazzauuuu....... just to catch the bus. I am going to have to find alternative transportation at times. :high5:

Goes4FastPass
12-11-2008, 12:13 PM
I would not expect super crowded EARLY MORNING busses any time of year. There are (thank goodness!) just too many who prefer sleeping or food court eggs to early morning character breakfasts and those gloriously short first hour of the park opening attraction lines.

I'm still betting if you ask your Lobby Concierge when the first bus to MK is you'll be shocked at how early it is. (And I'll be SUPER shocked if it's full).

Hull-onian
12-11-2008, 01:50 PM
When we had early reservations, we took a taxi. It is Mears. They are very good. You will be surprised at how fast you arrive at your destination. We thought it was great. It is not that expensive either.:D

Jeff
12-11-2008, 02:49 PM
My family usually goes each year at Christmas and we have stayed at the AKL at that time. As others have said, the early morning busses are not full. We usually find ourselves waiting with 2 or 3 families at the most.

Imagineer1981
12-15-2008, 03:49 PM
I personally have not taken a Disney bus in years. I like being able to control my schedule and not have to wait for the buses, especially at peak season when you may have to wait for 3 buses before you get on to go to the resort. I'd much rather spend 130 bucks on a rental car for a week. If you go to National/Alamo they generally run specials and the Entertainment books have great coupons. I generally get a full size for about 130 bucks for 5-7 days. To me, its worth it

Goes4FastPass
12-15-2008, 04:00 PM
I personally have not taken a Disney bus in years. I like being able to control my schedule and not have to wait for the buses...
I think a lot of WDW resort guests have an attitude of "I would never ride a bus in my daily life and I won't ride a bus while I'm on vacation."

People who alway rent a car when their whole vacation will be within the land of the purple road signs seem to remember that bus riders have to wait for busses but they forget how much time they spend walking from their room to where their car is parked and traveling from where they park to park entrances (which often involves waiting for a shuttle parking to park entrance).

PirateLover
12-16-2008, 09:39 AM
Always have a backup plan. When we stayed at CBR, we were told a bus would definitely come for MK in time for us to make our 8:20 ressie at Crystal Palace (Park was opening at 9). We got to the stop around 7:30. People had been waiting since 7:00 to make even earlier ressies, and they said no bus had come yet. The first MK bus didn't come until about 8:15. We got off the bus around 8:30 or so. CP still honored our ressie, but by the time we were seated and finished eating, we missed park opening which was the overall goal. This is the only experience I had like that, but I just thought I'd throw it out there.

Goes4FastPass
12-16-2008, 09:44 AM
Always have a backup plan...
I agree entirely. Cabs are readily available at resort main entrances and the cost of a cab resort to ADR is small compared to what you're paying, in this case, for breakfast at CRT.

Imagineer1981
12-16-2008, 02:31 PM
I think a lot of WDW resort guests have an attitude of "I would never ride a bus in my daily life and I won't ride a bus while I'm on vacation."

People who alway rent a car when their whole vacation will be within the land of the purple road signs seem to remember that bus riders have to wait for busses but they forget how much time they spend walking from their room to where their car is parked and traveling from where they park to park entrances (which often involves waiting for a shuttle parking to park entrance).

Their are benefits to both. Having a car means I go where I want, when I want and for the most part the Trams to parking are still faster than buses. Also if I want to park hop, I can drop everything off in the car instead of lugging things around. I have done the buses, and they are great, but not for me anymore.

CaptSmee
12-17-2008, 12:42 AM
I opted for cabs last trip. It wasn't too bad. From CBR to MK it was about 8 bucks. From CBR to the Boardwalk it was about 5.