PDA

View Full Version : Tomorrowland Skyway Station

Red Randal
12-10-2008, 11:44 AM
Just saw on another site ( :blush: ) that the Tomorrowland Skyway Station is under a quick refurb to fix the steps leading to the second floor.

This leads me to ask, what do they do with the building now anyway? Meet and greets? Private fireworks viewing? It's been so long since I've bothered to care where it is that I can't even envision where it is.

Harley-Davidson_Guy
12-10-2008, 03:29 PM
I'm not sure what they are doing under there. There is a white tarp over the front of that building with openings to the bathrooms. The stairs to the second floor are actually on the other side of the building not facing in but rather facing out toward Space Mountain. I was always told that the skyway cars are still up there in that building. Nothing goes on in there as far as I know.

pixiesmimi
12-10-2008, 06:40 PM
I wondered that too. We actually used those steps (going under the chain across them) to sit on during a rain storm when we went last year in June. DD sat up there out of the way to feed her baby and then I sat there with the baby out of the rain while the some of our group rode SM and others the TTA. I wondered then what they used the building for and it seemed such a waste that it was empty or not being used.

mcjaco
12-11-2008, 12:27 PM
I've been told it's used strictly for storage space.

trackbarroness
12-11-2008, 08:39 PM
Maybe it's used by engineering? And perhaps storage. :D
And no I don't know much I just work in t-land attractions. :D

WeLuvBuzz
12-15-2008, 11:57 AM
Personally I wish they would move COP to Epcot in the old WOL pavillion, get rid of the galaxy theatre and the skyway building and put in a new E-ticket attraction. I think COP would get much more traffic at Epcot and MK needs a new big ticket attraction.

pluto 77
12-15-2008, 01:46 PM
Personally I wish they would move COP to Epcot in the old WOL pavillion, get rid of the galaxy theatre and the skyway building and put in a new E-ticket attraction. I think COP would get much more traffic at Epcot and MK needs a new big ticket attraction.

I never thought of this, but it actually sounds like a great idea! COP doesn't really fit in the theme of Tomorrowland and i think it would be much beter in Epcot. Plus both parks could use a "new" ride. i think a lot of people don't see COP at the MK and would be more inclined to watch it at Epcot. And really, all of the parks just have too many buildings that they just don't use.

Well thats just my :twocents: What a shame disney doen't listen

Ian
12-15-2008, 01:54 PM
COP doesn't really fit in the theme of Tomorrowland ... Yeah, that whole "There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow" song really clashes with the whole Tomorrowland thing, doesn't it? ;)

Just kidding ... I actually know what you mean. It just doesn't feel very "tomorrow' in the context of the way the rest of Tomorrowland is configured now.

It would probably fit better somewhere in FW at Epcot, but I definitely don't see them spending the money to move that entire show building. Especially for a ride that just doesn't draw anymore. If anything happens with CoP, I think it will be that it goes the way of Mr. Toad.

WeLuvBuzz
12-15-2008, 02:23 PM
Since we are only dreaming we can put Mr. Toad in the Sounds Dangerous building. We can then put Horizons in the American Idol building when that proves to be a flop.

Imagineer1981
12-15-2008, 03:20 PM
There is plenty of room for improvements, thats for sure! The problem with moving CoP and Galaxy theater is its really not alot of space in reality, not for an E-ticket. Behind those areas is parking for managers and backstage for Mainstreet USA

CaptainJessicaSparrow
12-15-2008, 05:10 PM
From what I heard, they will be making the Galaxy Theater into parking as well.

I could have also heard wrong.

I personally hate COP. I know it's a Walt original.....but it's really...........boring. I would rather ride Small World than COP, and that is really saying something.

Ian
12-15-2008, 07:35 PM
I personally hate COP. I know it's a Walt original.....but it's really...........boring. I would rather ride Small World than COP, and that is really saying something.You know, Jessica ... While I don't know that I'd go as far as saying that I hate it, I also haven't bothered seeing it in a couple years.

In fact, I'll admit that I almost always fall asleep as soon as I get in there. I've actually put it on my list of "Either Update It or Do Away With It" attractions.

Daisy'sMom
12-16-2008, 06:23 PM

I disagree with you. MK does not need another thrill ride and to replace COP with one would be like spitting on Walt's grave. If that's all you want, go to Islands of Adventure.

Tinkerbelly84
12-16-2008, 08:59 PM
I love the COP. I think that since it's one of very few things that Walt actually had a hand in that is still intact that it should be left alone.

magicofdisney
12-16-2008, 10:12 PM
It would probably fit better somewhere in FW at Epcot, but I definitely don't see them spending the money to move that entire show building. Especially for a ride that just doesn't draw anymore. If anything happens with CoP, I think it will be that it goes the way of Mr. Toad.

... While I don't know that I'd go as far as saying that I hate it, I also haven't bothered seeing it in a couple years.
If this conversation were taking place a couple of years ago, I would agree, but in the last year traffic seems to have picked up. Maybe it's because they do a Buzz meet and greet right there at it's doors, or perhaps the constant internet chat that it will shut down any day now, but it's definitely fuller each time I ride it now than it was 18mos ago. Personally, I'm thrilled to see more traffic in that area. I adore this ride and I'll admit my mind tends to wonder at times while I'm on it, but this is one of my absolute, favorite attractions and I'd hate to see it go. :)

Polynesian Dweller
12-16-2008, 10:29 PM
I love the COP. I think that since it's one of very few things that Walt actually had a hand in that is still intact that it should be left alone.

Walt began changing Disneyland the day it opened and never stopped. He always said that his parks would never be finished. Since that was his philosophy I think he would be unhappy if COP was allowed to get too stale and out of date, like it is close to be coming in the last scene. IMHO it needs to be updated to keep the future at least a bit futurisitic.

WeLuvBuzz
12-17-2008, 07:37 AM
I did not say thrill ride, I said E-ticket attraction. TSMM is not a thrill ride but I consider it an e-ticket attraction. A great ride that has a high throughput would be great. I like COP, but because it is in the middle of a bunch of rides I think it gets skipped over a lot. I bet it gets less attendance than EEA and is a better ride in my opinion.

Tinkerbelly84
12-17-2008, 12:01 PM
Walt began changing Disneyland the day it opened and never stopped. He always said that his parks would never be finished. Since that was his philosophy I think he would be unhappy if COP was allowed to get too stale and out of date, like it is close to be coming in the last scene. IMHO it needs to be updated to keep the future at least a bit futurisitic.

I'm not against updating COP but I am against replacing it completely. I realize that Walt said his parks would never be completed but cherishing one or two Walt originals would be nice. It's almost like historical preservation.

locutus
12-17-2008, 10:24 PM
Yeah, that whole "There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow" song really clashes with the whole Tomorrowland thing, doesn't it? ;)

Just kidding ... I actually know what you mean. It just doesn't feel very "tomorrow' in the context of the way the rest of Tomorrowland is configured now.

The reason it really dosent draw is because its closed half the time. Ive seen it every time (its open that is) since I was a kid and have always enjoyed it (more when they used "now is the time" more then great big beautuiful tommorow") . Dont knw if I still enjoy it so much for the show itself or just nostolgia. But I still catch it if open when im there.

Stich8818
12-18-2008, 06:19 PM
I thought I had heard they are going to have some sort of Stich show in the Tommorowland area..music..stich..that sorta thing? Maybe Capt Jessica may know more.

lindique
12-18-2008, 06:33 PM
I first saw the Carousel at the World's Fair in 1964, and I continue to see it every time I go to Disney World. Obviously, I still enjoy it.

I do wish they would update the last scene a bit - it wouldn't take much - just change a few words like "car phone" to "cell phone" would do it.

And I'd still like to solve the mystery of the little girl in the first scene!

Red Randal
12-19-2008, 01:01 PM
Since it's my original thread, thought I'd weigh in on the Carousel discussion.

I'm pretty sure attendance has increased because Disney has put just a little bit into promoting it. Like, it might be shown/mentioned once or twice on some planning videos and in specials so people want to see what it's all about.

Now, the Galaxy Theater, isn't it still used quite regularly for special events? And I know they use it for the Christmas party.

Believe it or not, I've heard that this has something to do with families having more kids 100 years ago. I'm not kidding and I honestly have no idea where I heard that nor if it was reputable or just a joke.

andreallybadeggs
12-20-2008, 11:35 AM
I never thought of this, but it actually sounds like a great idea! COP doesn't really fit in the theme of Tomorrowland and i think it would be much beter in Epcot. Plus both parks could use a "new" ride. i think a lot of people don't see COP at the MK and would be more inclined to watch it at Epcot. And really, all of the parks just have too many buildings that they just don't use.

Well thats just my :twocents: What a shame disney doen't listen

Oh no...I must respectfully but firmly disagree and hope they don't listen this particular time. Here's why...
1) The whole theme of COP is change-time-progress so even though it is not futuristic it fits in well in Tomorrowland.
2) This is quintessential Walt and belongs in the "original" park.
3) COP and TTA are two attractions that give the weary MK visitor much-needed respites from long lines where one can get right in and then slow way down. There are plenty of places to do that at Epcot.
4) My family does not have the luxury of traveling to WDW during off peak times so we treasure the COP as our MK place to relax, cool down, and try to spot Father's two left shoes. :mickey:
5) Cheesy song--good; Change--bad :D

ValenciaCalling
06-28-2011, 01:32 PM
I disagree with you. MK does not need another thrill ride and to replace COP with one would be like spitting on Walt's grave. If that's all you want, go to Islands of Adventure.

Daisy'sMom....I love you. haha Thank you so much for posting this! :)

ValenciaCalling
06-28-2011, 01:34 PM
I first saw the Carousel at the World's Fair in 1964, and I continue to see it every time I go to Disney World. Obviously, I still enjoy it.

I do wish they would update the last scene a bit - it wouldn't take much - just change a few words like "car phone" to "cell phone" would do it.

LOL The car phone line is my favorite line in the whole show. haha I totally agree about changing "car" to "cell".

lala71474
06-29-2011, 02:51 PM
I <3 COP!!! It's always one of my first stops! It just has the Disney Magic I remember as a little girl. I love love love it and would be so sad if they got rid of it.

Imagineer1981
06-29-2011, 05:19 PM
LOL The car phone line is my favorite line in the whole show. haha I totally agree about changing "car" to "cell".

dont forget about LASER discs