PDA

View Full Version : Midway Mania - Loved it !!!

jszczur5
12-09-2008, 05:20 PM
I gotta admit - I was wrong.
I figured Midway Mania was going to just be a ramped-up version of Buzz, so was not looking forward to it. Guess what, you were all right. It really is so much more. I especially loved knowing which ball/hoop whatever projectile was mine because of the colour coding. In Buzz, I just shoot, but I never know which red dot out there is coming from my gun. I have the lowest score every single time.
This summer, we were able to do MM twice, and I came in second (of seven) the first ride, and first overall the second ride through. It really is a much better attraction than Buzz. Maybe they could snazz Buzz up a little bit now, so that it doesn't compare so unfavourably.
BTW, my husband thinks MM is going to have on-going maintenance issues due to the firing system (pulling that cord, instead of pushing a button). Has this, in fact, been the case?

faline
12-09-2008, 06:29 PM
Haven't heard of maintenance issues but the ride is still new. I liked it very much as well especially that I could exactly what I was hitting!

mrsgaribaldi
12-09-2008, 08:53 PM
I loved it too:mickey:

EditReject
12-09-2008, 09:23 PM
I did the ride last week and I thought it was ok. Luckily I only had to wait about 40 minutes in the stand-by line to ride and then the ride broke down just as we were getting off.

I can see the appeal of the ride but it did not do much for me or the others I was with. To me all you needed to get a high score was pull the string as fast as you can. Yeah the theming was great but I do not see why people are waiting in line forever for this and the FastPasses are always gone first thing. I think it says more about the lack of must see attractions at DHS than the ride itself. Just my opinion. :mickey:

SurferStitch
12-10-2008, 06:46 AM
Glad you loved it!

DH and I had a blast on it when we were there in October. I won every time, to the dismay of DH. :blush:

I thought the theming of the ride was excellent, and you really did have to know how to aim to get the best target scores. You also had to look in places you wouldn't expect, so the games really had you jumping.

We rode it 3 times during that trip, all with FP. Standby lines were always at least 70 minutes (sometimes 2 hours). When we rode it the second time, a wonderful CM gave us another FP as we exited, so we got to walk right back on. Awesome!!

lindique
12-10-2008, 08:34 PM
I went on it for the first time on Monday - and it was fantastic! I really enjoyed it - and look forward to it again later this week. The lines are terrible though - you have to get there early and get a fast pass.

Polynesian Dweller
12-10-2008, 08:40 PM
We loved it as well. We stood in the 100 minute line to get on and actually enjoyed the queue. It didn't seem that long and the ride paid off. Great job by Disney on this one!:thumbsup:

DigitalDaredevil
12-11-2008, 03:50 AM
I like the attraction myself, but I tend to see it as more of a game than a ride. It is very well done, and for those who enjoy a challenge, it keeps you interested by having you re-ride to get a better score.
A nice attraction indeed. We can't have every ride being too similar.

SpecJoe Magic
12-11-2008, 04:18 AM
I try to give new attractions that don't sound good to me the benefit of the doubt until I get to experience them myself. Even so, when Midway Mania was first announced a few years ago, I was a little underwhelmed with its description. Part of the reason I felt that way is because I was a fan of Who Wants to be a Millionaire- Play it!, and I'm not a fan of Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin, which made me skeptical of Midway Mania since they sounded so similar. However, I started hearing great things about it right after it opened, so I started becoming excited and looking forward to riding it. I'm happy to say that I'm very impressed with it, and the similarities it shares with Buzz Lightyear are insignificant. It's a high quality ride, which is what Hollywood Studios needed because there are plenty of shows there already.

disneydrmr
12-11-2008, 10:39 AM
My husband and I laughed ourselves silly thru this ride - we LOVED it! The only 'issue' we had with it was our arm ached from all the pulling. (we rode it twice)... maybe they could figure some way to do a push button firing system? But it is definitly our favorite ride!

Goes4FastPass
12-11-2008, 11:46 AM
I wanted to like this ride and I did like it but I was a little surprised that after you get through the terrifically themed queing area the attraction is only a series of 3D movie carnival games. I expected more giant toy props. Granted the interactivity is very good.

Compared to a 3D ride attraction like Spider Man at Universal/IOA which includes giant props, effects like real fire and articulating vehicles so it's sometimes hard to tell what's "physical" and what's 3D projection, TSMania isn't the best 3D ride in Central Florida.

WDW_Obsessed
12-11-2008, 12:26 PM
This may be a dumb question...but is Midway Mania the same thing as Toy Story Mania? Just trying to get on the same page here:blush:

DisneyMomma23
12-11-2008, 12:48 PM
This may be a dumb question...but is Midway Mania the same thing as Toy Story Mania? Just trying to get on the same page here:blush:

yes it is :)

Cheloconnell
12-11-2008, 04:18 PM
Rode it in October with the family - loved it. My husband went on 12/7 at the opening of the park and got fast passes. Rode it later on twice - loved it. Went to go back on 12/9 - fast passes gone before 11. 120 minute wait and standby line closed down when we went by. The fast pass line was down to almost the distribution area. I have a feeling it might have broken down for a period. Very disappointed :( Guess we will have to wait until April.

pink
12-11-2008, 05:49 PM
I didn't have high expectations for this ride either when we rode it for the first time in September but we ended up loving it. It was my DBF first time at Disney World and that was his favorite thing we did! :mickey:

PixiePrincess
12-12-2008, 07:50 PM
I can't wait to ride this! It sounds like it will be a lot of fun!

kristnjohn
12-13-2008, 08:56 PM
We were able to ride this for our first time last week and it was fantastic!! Our group varied in ages from 2 through 78 years old, and everyone had a ton of fun and would of re-rode if not for the 90 minute wait time! We expected a ride very similar to Buzz, however were pleasantly surprised with TSM. Much more interactive, way more variety, and a much quicker pace to the ride. 2 BIG thumbs up for this one.

mrsgaribaldi
12-13-2008, 11:08 PM
Even so, when Midway Mania was first announced a few years ago, I was a little underwhelmed with its description. Part of the reason I felt that way is because I was a fan of Who Wants to be a Millionaire- Play it!, .

We felt the exact same way:mickey: I loved Millionaire, we did it several times on every trip. I was so sad when they closed it.

MushuGrl
12-15-2008, 11:04 AM
LOVED IT! We rode it three times this past week!

I tend to choke in the last round for some reason...but I had fun. :blush:

CanadianPatriot
12-17-2008, 06:35 PM
Don't get me wrong it was fun but when I went to wait 70 minutes just to shoot some animated things is a waste. luckily i had a fast pass.

AdventurerKim
12-18-2008, 03:43 PM
This is the coolest new ride ever!!! I loved it!!

We always went there first, got a fast pass, and stood in line so we could ride it twice in one day. On the day after Thanksgiving Day, we rode four times because we got a fast pass initially, got in line and rode, won Dream Fast Passes getting off, and got a night fast pass since we were going to the Studios to see the Osborne lights. :thumbsup:

Gator
12-18-2008, 07:44 PM
I didn't like it very much. A lot of hype for little substance. The only Toy Story part of it was characters on a video screen. It could've been anybody else and the ride wouldn't change at all. It also wouldn't appeal to anybody.

Daisy'sMom
12-18-2008, 08:07 PM
We love it. :mickey:

bkfree
12-19-2008, 01:53 PM
We just returned and loved TSM. We rode it three times. The first time,was on Sunday morning the day after the parade taping and Kelly Ripa, her husband Mark Consuelas and their kids were on the ride behind us.

I think it shows the potential for upgrades on many other rides.