PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about Alien Encounter

jszczur5
12-09-2008, 05:14 PM
As I read old posts, I keep coming across people lamenting the demise of AE. I remember the aerocar ride, 20K, Mr. Toad, heck, I even remember Timekeeper, but I must not have ever done AE. I am assuming that it was located where Stitch currently languishes, and was somewhat similar in tone, albeit scarier.
It doesn't sound as if it was that great to me; so go ahead - convince me.

faline
12-09-2008, 06:32 PM
You are correct on where Alien Encounter was located. Actually, I liked that much better than the Stitch version that is there now. It was designed to be a bit scarier. Think about the movie Alien and being trapped in a spaceship while you're being hunted by a loose Alien...you'll get the idea. Much of the action took place in the dark with special effects still in use in different ways with the Stitch version.

Jasper
12-09-2008, 06:38 PM
It was actually a great attraction and was capable of giving quite a fright the first time out. That was also the problem, after the first time out you knew what was going on and it lost its thrill.

It was very much like stitch in that the alien escaped its containment unit and then "roamed" about the room breathing on you, eating people, etc. I liked it because Disney did a great job in "setting up the story" in your mind and then using simple tricks in the dark to make you think you were about to get eaten.

What this attraction needed was a computer system like Tower of Terror has to give you a different experience each time. Unfortunately once you saw it the first time you could set your watch by it the next time.

eliasfauntleroy9
12-09-2008, 08:08 PM
I only did Alien Encounter once and I was twelve. My mom was nice enough to go with, and I remember it really scared her, to the point where she was screaming outloud. It was a great attraction for the older crowd. I find the new Stitch version to be really irritating and I think it's a shame that they decided to get rid of AE, or change the Snow White ride, just because people complained. They were supposed to be scary as they were meant for teenage+. They should be able to keep a few attractions like that in the MK, as they do in Studios or AK. The best part about AE was when the voiceover was describing the beast in the first minutes of the ride and someone yelled out "It's my mother in law!" Not sure if it was a tourist or part of the attraction, but it was really funny.

Mrs Bus Driver
12-10-2008, 07:02 AM
The best part about AE was when the voiceover was describing the beast in the first minutes of the ride and someone yelled out "It's my mother in law!" Not sure if it was a tourist or part of the attraction, but it was really funny.

I couldn't agree more I was lucky enough to see this before the axe fill. BTW the first time I saw it I thought it was another tourist saying "It's my mother in law". DD then 15 and I both thought this was funny every time. I know they can't/won't bring it back but maybe they could do something new for the older crowd. It seems all the good rides are going to other parks and MK just has a few old classics. :mickey:

DDuck66
12-10-2008, 11:12 AM
Even thought I really like Stitch, I have to say that AE was better if a bit predictable. At least there was not that horrible "chili cheese dog" smell. Yech!!!!

Diz-Knee
12-10-2008, 02:31 PM
It scared the you-know-what out of me when I first rode it back in 1995 when it was new to the MK. I thought it was great but I never saw the entire thing with my eyes open and plugged my ears shut and sat forward to avoid the spooks...I know, what's the point, right!?

DigitalDaredevil
12-11-2008, 03:56 AM
The first time I experienced Alien Encounter I have to admit it gave me a scare. The unique thing about it was most of your fears were imagined. You knew that Disney was not going to hurt you, yet you let your imagination run wild, along with the Alien "running" throughout the room. It was very well done, from the pre-show, the music, and the decor. It was an attraction that was not for the kiddies but was fun nonetheless.

SpecJoe Magic
12-11-2008, 04:34 AM
BTW the first time I saw it I thought it was another tourist saying "It's my mother in law". DD then 15 and I both thought this was funny every time.

That wasn't the only funny phrase shouted out by the fake guests. There were several others, some of which were definitely in the realm of dark humor, and they were easy to miss if you weren't paying attention. I thought they were a nice touch since you might have to experience Alien Encounter a few times to hear them all.

It was never one of my favorite attractions at WDW, but it was far better than Stitch's Great Escape. I almost always had a desire to visit AE on each trip, but I don't even bother with SGE anymore.

Diz-Knee
12-11-2008, 08:13 AM
I almost always had a desire to visit AE on each trip, but I don't even bother with SGE anymore.

:ditto:

I am a Stitch fan but only needed to go on this attraction once - haven't been back on it since.

jrkcr
12-11-2008, 11:47 AM
I really liked AE. I laughed and laughed, cause right beside me, a fully grown man was screaming like a little girl!! :funny:

I've never been on stitch, and probably never will. I don't really like him and the reviews of the lingering smell...no thanks. :ack:

WDW_Obsessed
12-11-2008, 12:32 PM
I really liked AE and was sad to see it go. It definitley gave me a good scare. The alien was so life-like to me...which totally scared the heck out of the kids that went on it. The down side to the ride is that it seemed like every time I went on it, some parent brought their little one in there who didn't heed the warning about it being too scary for snall children, and they screamed bloody murder the whole time. I'm pretty sure I would have been scarred for life if I had been one of those little kids!

thrillme
12-11-2008, 12:59 PM
alien:
I really liked AE. I laughed and laughed, cause right beside me, a fully grown man was screaming like a little girl!! :funny:

The first time we went on it people all around us were screaming. We thought it was weird...(my DS was only 6-7 at the time...wasn't scared at all). However people were screaming and one GROWN WOMAN came out crying. We were concerned at first then we overheard her friend telling her...it's not real!!! Both my "mean" son and I started to chuckle:noevil::. Do people really believe the aliens are landing at Disney?:confused::alien:

After that we would ride it 2-3 times every trip because we LOVED people watching.

Funny thing was I sat next to a guy at Stitch the last time we were there and I think during a good chunk of the time we chatted about how we missed Alien Encounter over Stich.

Imagineer1981
12-15-2008, 03:52 PM
I only did Alien Encounter once and I was twelve. My mom was nice enough to go with, and I remember it really scared her, to the point where she was screaming outloud. It was a great attraction for the older crowd. I find the new Stitch version to be really irritating and I think it's a shame that they decided to get rid of AE, or change the Snow White ride, just because people complained. They were supposed to be scary as they were meant for teenage+. They should be able to keep a few attractions like that in the MK, as they do in Studios or AK. The best part about AE was when the voiceover was describing the beast in the first minutes of the ride and someone yelled out "It's my mother in law!" Not sure if it was a tourist or part of the attraction, but it was really funny.

1) Disney is a park for families, and if a ride is too scary for the entire family (once they meet height requirements) then perhaps it isn't right for Disney and should be at another company

2) The mother-in-law line is part of the attraction. Once you rode AE a couple of times, you learned to just sit back and listen to the background effects. Things like "whos arm is this?" and "my mouth was open" are hilarious

Pat Ryan
01-01-2009, 02:51 PM
The full story from pre-show to ending was great on AE... I think that's one of the best things about it.

One other nice effect was that a "workman" went up into the rafters to check out the problem and was fragged by the "alien" which splattered you with guts... that had a good gross out factor for first-timers.

It may have been my favorite ride of all time before Soarin'... however you can't go on it endlessly, but it was a must do for each trip.

You can read more at wikipedia... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExtraTERRORestrial_Alien_Encounter

DisneyNut2005
01-01-2009, 04:35 PM
Basically, AE did not really belong in the Magic Kingdom, due to its all-too over-the-top horrific content. Maybe if they had built it somewhere else, like DHS, maybe it would've lived longer.

Stitch's Great Escape is a far more suitable fit for the MK and is still an awesome high-tech attraction that does not deserve the bashing that it gets.

Crow
01-01-2009, 05:38 PM
It might still be open if it was at DHS, as the scariness did it in I think.
I also agree that it was better than Stitch

dumbo_buddy
01-01-2009, 05:54 PM
i thought alien was really scary when i first went on!

stitch has potential but the nasty smell really turned DH and my stomach. :ack:

disneydeb
01-01-2009, 06:21 PM
It was WAY TOO SCARY for my then 6 year old. She screamed so much and so loud that people looked at me as if I was the worst mommy in the world. She had begged me to go with her!
It was better than Stitch. And I agree it would still be there if it were in DHS.

Daisy'sMom
01-02-2009, 05:28 PM
I know the first time I ever went on it, I almost wet my pants!:-o

DryCreek
01-02-2009, 09:48 PM
I can remember when it was "Mission To The Moon", or something similar. Everyone just sat around and stared at the center and they projected images there. The seat bottoms would either depress or raise to simulate acceleration/deceleration. Of course, I also miss the old Delta ride. The strobe effect passing through the jet fan blade was awesome, especially as the projected image was played on the semi-circular walls!
The Monsanto exhibit was not all that great though.