PDA

View Full Version : Narcoosee's? C-

Goes4FastPass
12-08-2008, 04:27 PM
Had dinner last week at Narcoosee's.

After all the hype we found the food to be C-. Not a lot better than what you'd get at, well, Outback. Had we used 2 DDP table service credits for this 'Signature' meal we would have felt very dissappointed.

Another post referred to "We've had window seats for the fireworks before, but so many people stand outside on the deck, it kills the view from your table." We noticed this also but seemed like many people inside the restaurant went out on the promenade to watch 'Wishes' then returned to their meals after the fireworks.

SBETigg
12-08-2008, 04:46 PM
I love Narcoossee's. Just curious, what did you order? When we went, I had the surf and turf and ended up slightly disappointed when comparing to everyone else's meal at the table. The chicken, something I normally wouldn't order but my daughter tried, was simply amazing. So was my son's halibut dish, the flounder, the scallops, and the crab cakes. Yum! But my surf and turf was pretty standard fare, so if that's what you had, I can see the Outback comparison. Otherwise, I'm surprised. Thanks for sharing your review.

Goes4FastPass
12-08-2008, 04:49 PM
Filet was overcooked and the pork was probably just a mistake.

The shrimp appetizer was exactly 3 small shrimp but again they were 3 very average shrimp.

SBETigg
12-08-2008, 04:53 PM
Ah, filet and pork. I will avoid those dishes. If you go back (and with that rating, you may not) I would advise the chicken or any of the fish dishes and the crab cakes, if you're a fish eater. You might find an entirely different meal experience, if you're ever looking for a return. With all the great places in WDW, perhaps not best to return to one you didn't love.

Goes4FastPass
12-08-2008, 04:57 PM
Yes, I wish we had made it a seafood night.

That reminds me. The baked salmon at Tusker House was very good!

Hammer
12-08-2008, 07:35 PM
Seafood is Narcoosee's forte. If you want pork, I recommend the pork tenderloin with goat cheese polenta at California Grill for Signature dining :tasty: .

SurferStitch
12-09-2008, 06:35 AM
I'm sorry you weren't impressed. Narcoossee's is our favorite restaurant on property. I've never had a meal I could ever compare to a chain restaurant.

I've had the surf and turf, and also the whole lobster many times. I've never had lobster as sweet and delicious and perfectly prepared as I've had at Narcoossee's.

It's funny, but many times that I've seen bad reviews on food, the person usually orders something like pork. Pork is truly a hit or miss meat, and if not done in a manner that is acceptable to someone, is often considered bad (even though it might actually be pretty good).

I never order pork in a restaurant. There's just too many chances that it will be too undercooked for me (I hate any sort of pink to it), or it won't be seasoned enough, or seasoned correctly, etc. I stick with what I know almost always turns out perfect - lobster, filet, scallops, crab cakes, shrimp, fish.

As for your small appetizer...that's just odd. DH had the same appetizer before, and it was 5 very large shrimp....about the size of a small lobster tail at Outback (I've gotten some preeeeetty tiny lobster tails at Outback before). :D There's not much you can do to dress up simple cooked shrimp with cocktail sauce. They have several distinct and delicious appetizers there.

I would love if you would give Narcoossee's another chance, but it sounds like that probably won't happen. It's a shame, because Narcoossee's is truly a gem.

mouseketeer mom
12-09-2008, 08:32 AM
SurferStitch, I agree with you. Narcoosees is truely a gem. Our experience found it to be top notch, on every level. I'm sorry the original poster had a less then average experience.

pluto 77
12-09-2008, 10:51 AM
I have to agree that Narcoosee's is one of the better restaurants on property. We have been many times, and enjoyed our meals every time except once. We just took it as an off night, because all restaurants can have them. If you do decide to ever go back, I suggest, like other posters have, to stick with the seafood. Their lobster if the best!!!

Mickey 101
12-09-2008, 10:53 AM
That reminds me. The baked salmon at Tusker House was very good!

It always has been. We are so disappointed it's now a table service location. It was one of the few quick service spots with nutritious and great-tasting options. :(

Crow
12-12-2008, 03:16 AM
I went here for the first time in Sept...while it wasnt bad I dont think I will have it on my must do list. The view wasnt bad. had surf and turf. used DDP and DDE. I just prefer CA Grill and AP more.

Natazu
12-12-2008, 10:38 AM
I'm so sorry you had a poor meal at Narcoossee's. Don't give up on this place, though. I have faith in them but anyone can have a bad day.

We ate there last night and had an exceptional meal with first rate service. I had the Seared Mangrove Snapper with risotto and a red wine reduction. Rachel had the Crab-Crusted Flounder. We also had seafood bisque, Crispy Duck Roll, (and in the interest of a complete review, Buttermilk Fried Shrimp with green apple root slaw followed by a sample of the pork loin).

The fish entrees were amazing, worth twice the price, as was the soup. The Duck Roll had the most wonderful filling I can recall having. The outside was fresh, flaky, and indulgent.

The Buttermilk Fried Shrimp was plump, light, and juicy but a little boring on its own. The apple-celery root slaw on it's own was overpowering. Together however, the shrimp and slaw achieve a obligate relationship. You've really got to eat them together unless you've brought your own dipping sauce.

The pork was, well, ok. It was flavorful but not very tender. This just isn't the place for pork. Great pork doesn't exactly abound in central Florida. I feel sorry for the Chef de Cuisine at places like Narc and CG forced to locate pork to rival the level of their seafood and beef. They've gotta be threatening to move to Iowa.

We were seated right across from the castle and had a pretty good view of the fireworks (Christmas show) in spite of the people on the atrium. They lowered the lights and played the music. The restaurant wasn't very busy so the amount of folks watching outside was low. Had it been busier, the view wouldn't have been nearly as attractive. It baffles me how people can leave their food sitting on their plate for twenty minutes to go outside and watch fireworks. I just don't get it.

In short, rely on Narc for great, fresh seafood in a romantic setting.

Maleficent's Dad
12-12-2008, 07:56 PM
I am sorry that your meal wasn't fantastic. When it comes to Resort dining, Narcoosee's is in our top three (Flying Fish and V&A's round out the list!). I prefer Narcoosee's to even (dare I say), California Grill or Citrico's.

I agree with previous posters about the inconsistency of pork at various establishments. There's simply no excuse for the filet, however.

I also agree with Jym about the fish. I am a fan of seafood - a main staple in my diet - and very few do it as well as Narcoosee's. Maybe that's why I love the place so much.

Maybe some day you'll venture back; and hopefully at that time, your meal will impress.

In any event, thanks for sharing! :thumbsup:

Maleficent's Dad
12-12-2008, 08:00 PM
To the OP - this short reply is waaayyyyy :offtopic:

We ate there last night and had an exceptional meal with first rate service. I had the Seared Mangrove Snapper with risotto and a red wine reduction. Rachel had the Crab-Crusted Flounder. We also had seafood bisque, Crispy Duck Roll, (and in the interest of a complete review, Buttermilk Fried Shrimp with green apple root slaw followed by a sample of the pork loin).
Ah Jym, you're doing it again - great descriptions of meals we all wish we were sharing with you!!! Looking forward to a more complete review in those trip reports and dining reviews! ;)