PDA

View Full Version : Buffet Tipping Revisited - I did 20%

Goes4FastPass
12-08-2008, 03:51 PM
I've always been a tip less at buffets guy.

A few days ago my wife and I had a terrific lunch at Tusker House.

The server we had was excellent. She ran her legs off refilling drinks and clearing dishes all the while cheerfully answering questions and making suggestions to us and the tables around us, "Be sure to leave room for volcano cake!"

So much work!

Somebody tell the bosses at Tusker House to get some rimmed bowls for the kid buffet! I watched a determined little girl carrying applesauce on a salad size flat plate. It would slosh over the left then she'd overcorrect and more fell off to the right.

The next time you're at a Disney buffet look at all that's going on around you and tip accordingly.

SBETigg
12-08-2008, 05:13 PM
Nice, thanks for the report! It feels good to reward good service.

mudpuppysmom
12-08-2008, 05:25 PM
The male CM we had a Tusker House was equally "on his toes" when we were there in January and he was tipped accordingly.

We also had a VERY good CM at Biergarten on that same trip and she also was tipped accordingly.

That said, we have also had CM servers at TS places that paid less attention to us that the two I mentioned above!! (They were also tipped accordingly).

You still find CM's that take their jobs seriously and are there for the fun of it (in addition to making a living).

wendy*darling
12-08-2008, 06:33 PM
I loved reading your report!

I have always defended the poor buffet servers. At least with our family, they are working very hard- drinks, clearing plates, making sure we have everything we need, etc.

Glad to hear you are a convert! :thumbsup:

Mickey'sGirl
12-08-2008, 07:21 PM
Another good post! I so agree with you. Tip based on the service you receive...and we have had some of our best servers at the Buffets (an early morning Chef Mickey's last March, a late Breakfast at 1900 Park Fare last October and a very hot lunchtime Crystal Palace back in 2002 immediately come to mind!).

DisneyFr33k
12-09-2008, 11:37 AM
We went in October and had a fantastic server! He had a real big sense of humor and would joke with our kids as well as others about trying new things. He would say if they didn't like what they had there, then he would bring their special chef in to prepare his specialty - boars head stuffed with all kinds of nasty things. The kids really enjoyed joking with him every time he came by.

We'll be going back there for sure! Not only for the service but the food it good too!

DDuck66
12-10-2008, 11:29 AM
We always tip based on the service, Last year we had such a great server at Hollywood and Vine that she actually got more than 20%. I wish all the buffet servers were half as good as she was.

mouseketeer mom
12-10-2008, 12:44 PM
Very nice. I too, have always been a tip less at buffets person. Glad to hear your service was exceptional.