PDA

View Full Version : You would NOT believe what my teenage daughter said to me yesterday!!!

mom2morgan
12-06-2008, 12:47 PM
OMG - I don't know whether to laugh or cry!! We live in small town Alberta, and we are travelling to Disney World next week for our second trip. She sits us down, and says "I think we really need to work on our speech habits. I'm afraid that all the Americans will think we sound like a bunch of dumb hicks!" What the heck? I told her that I DON'T think we sound like the Beverly Hillbillies. Pointed out that we're reasonably well educated and unlikely to embarass her. She INSISTS that our language habits are very "hick" and even that she thinks we have some sort of a western "drawl" ROTFL. Of course, we went the grocery store a little while later and had some fun at her expense - hubby and I calling things back and forth across the aisle like "Y'all ain't gonna eat them-here apples, are ya?" I don't know where teenagers get their ideas from, but I am trying to reassure her that Disney attracts guests from ALL OVER THE WORLD, so I doubt we're going to stand out like a sore thumb.

Bringonthemouse!
12-06-2008, 01:40 PM
That's hilarious!!!

We (myself and teenage daughter) are from small town Ontario and we just returned from WDW. Nobody commented about the way we spoke and we are famous for the old Canadian EH! I did however overhear a conversation between a young girl (10ish) and her mother that really made me laugh. The daughter was wondering what language "they speak in Canada, don't they speak some weird language?" I thought she was referring to french but maybe she was referring to small town hick speak!!!;)
Teenagers, what a strange world they live in!!
Have a great trip!
:mickey:

mom2morgan
12-06-2008, 02:16 PM
That's hilarious!!!

We (myself and teenage daughter) are from small town Ontario and we just returned from WDW. Nobody commented about the way we spoke and we are famous for the old Canadian EH! I did however overhear a conversation between a young girl (10ish) and her mother that really made me laugh. The daughter was wondering what language "they speak in Canada, don't they speak some weird language?" I thought she was referring to french but maybe she was referring to small town hick speak!!!;)
Teenagers, what a strange world they live in!!
Have a great trip!
:mickey:

LOL! And here I thought that "eh?" was only out here in the west...or so my Hamilton-born husband always tells me ;-) Well, I'll do my best not to embarass the whole country while I'm there!

KatMark
12-06-2008, 03:48 PM
:funny::funny::funny::funny:

I don't know where teenagers get this stuff. Our boys, who are now 22 and 20, ask us every trip to Disney when we are going to grow up and start going to "grown up" places? They just don't get it.

:santa:

TheRustyScupper
12-06-2008, 05:05 PM
1) Things could be worse.
2) You could be a singer and ask the pianist to "give me an eh".

SBETigg
12-06-2008, 05:20 PM
That is so funny! Teenagers, ha! I have two. They're always coming up with new things. :)

wickedwitch
12-06-2008, 06:39 PM
Too funny!!!! Moments like those make it all worth it!!

andreallybadeggs
12-06-2008, 07:45 PM
Boy howdy...I ain't sayin' fur sure or nuttin' but now your DD may just have hersef a
gen-u-wine concern.
We s'fisticated 'mericans
sorta, kinda look down on fer-ners who don't talk just rite when we's all a-waitin' fur the Country Bear Show to commence. ;)

mom2morgan
12-06-2008, 09:38 PM
Boy howdy...I ain't sayin' fur sure or nuttin' but now your DD may just have hersef a
gen-u-wine concern.
We s'fisticated 'mericans
sorta, kinda look down on fer-ners who don't talk just rite when we's all a-waitin' fur the Country Bear Show to commence. ;)
ROTFL!! I HAVE to show her your post :-)

mudpuppysmom
12-07-2008, 05:27 PM
What will the kids think up next.....now they are pickin on our speech!!

Good thing she don't live in Picksburg (Pittsburgh) where they do their worsh and red up their houses while watchin the Stillers......

I do believe there is actually a book out there for deciphering Pittsburghese.....I know there is a shirt -- I bought one for my cousins kids a few years back......

Now yunz make sure you have a good time dahn there in Erlando.......

Yeah, I'm college - edumacated too!!:D

Diz-Knee
12-07-2008, 06:50 PM
Ya'll will fit right in! That's how we talk down here in the deep south! ;)

kemps@wdw
12-07-2008, 10:15 PM
Bein from a small town in Western KY, we get alot of "looks" and "you're not from around here are you?" when others hear our accent. And as parents of a teenager DD, we, too, have gotten the "don't embarrass me" lecture from her. I must admit that hearing so many different accents, domestic and foreign, is part of the fun for me @ WDW. How boring it would be if everyone were the same!

jrkcr
12-08-2008, 11:03 AM
I'm a transplant from South Carolina, and now live in Reno, Nevada.

While at WDW a few weeks back,I heard many different accents and just loved it! I miss hearing southern drawls that sound like "home". Someday your teen will understand that a regional accent is a good thing, not something to be embarrassed about!!
Can you imagine how boring it would be if we all sounded like the national news anchors?

DisneyDog
12-08-2008, 11:32 AM
I used to be embarrassed by the local Philly accent. I would listen to call-ins on the radio and cringe. That was until I moved away and missed it. Now that I am back, it doesn't bother me at all. In fact, I find it comforting.

When I lived in Florida, I worked at the Reference Desk at a library branch that was near the Gulf of Mexico. We had 8 other libraries. A woman called up and asked if we were the library near the "wooder" (i.e. water). Turns out the caller was from South Jersey (I asked her if she was from Philly, 'cause it was obvious from that one word). Luckily, I was the one who answered the phone because my co-worker from Indiana said she wouldn't have had a clue what the person was asking. LOL.

MNNHFLTX
12-08-2008, 12:51 PM
How funny! Having been up in Alberta last summer (Calgary, Banff, etc.) I kind of liked how some of the dialect reminded me of how folks sounded in Minnesota where I grew up. Unique yes, but definitely not like hicks! :)

If your daughter moves away or ends up traveling a lot she may someday appreciate hearing a familiar accent in an unfamiliar place. Even though I have lived in other states most of my adult life (Florida, New Hampshire, Texas) I have met a lot of people from Minnesota after hearing them talk and then introducing myself. :)

Lisaj13
12-08-2008, 05:09 PM
Nobody stared at us or had trouble understanding us when we were in WDW. Of course, we're from the big city! :D

I threatened to dance when the parade came past, just to embarass my kids.

Embarassing my children - just one more service I offer.

mickey&missy
12-08-2008, 08:27 PM
Ahhh! Teenagers!!!

It is funny, but if I were you I'd be a little offended!!!

My "Aunt" is originally from VA. She is married to my Dad's best friend from childhood and they lived in the town my dad and "uncle" grew up in in NJ. Also the town my sisters and I and my "aunt and uncles" daughters grew up in. Anyway, my aunt tells a story of her daughter sitting her down one day and telling her she "talked funny!" LOL!! I think, even 20 or 30 years later she's still a little offended!

mom2morgan
12-08-2008, 10:14 PM
Ahhh! Teenagers!!!

It is funny, but if I were you I'd be a little offended!!!

My "Aunt" is originally from VA. She is married to my Dad's best friend from childhood and they lived in the town my dad and "uncle" grew up in in NJ. Also the town my sisters and I and my "aunt and uncles" daughters grew up in. Anyway, my aunt tells a story of her daughter sitting her down one day and telling her she "talked funny!" LOL!! I think, even 20 or 30 years later she's still a little offended!

LOL - yeah, teenagers are offensive by nature. I get my revenge by embarassing her in public ;-) Fortunately for me I don't have to work too hard on how to do that - my mere existence usually does the trick! My mom used to have a poster I didn't find funny at all...but now I do! "Oh! If I could be only half as wonderful as my child thought I was...and only half as stupid as my teenager thinks I am!"

Figment104
12-09-2008, 11:35 AM
I can understand where she's coming from but at the same time I'm sure as many others have posted she'll find it to be a comfort to hear it and miss it when she doesn't. I'm originally from outside of Toronto and though I've lived in MI (not that far away) for about 20 years I've still retained some of my accent from that area and I know when ever I speak to someone from that area it always make me smile. In fact I have to call St. Catherines in ONT quite frequently and every time I do it just makes me smile since I'm talking to people who sound like me. :mickey:
I love being unique for the area I live in and love the fact that I don't sound like everyone else around me either. :blush:

Magic Smiles
12-09-2008, 09:26 PM
We can always pick out the Canadians, eh! Laying by the pool at our resort on one of our trips I started talking to the ladies sitting beside me. Asked what part of Canada they were from. They wondered how I knew they were Canadians. One word - EH? They couldn't believe that they had been using 'eh'.

Notice on your next trip, the Americans, uh!

Tell your daughter that it could be worse. You could be from Nfld. Now that is an accent.

MississippiDisneyFreak
12-10-2008, 08:21 AM
Well now we folks from Mississippi can't have you there Canadians talking funny or anything, so have her start practicing the proper pronunciation for LeCellier....its La-Sell-err

Mickey91
12-10-2008, 10:25 AM
OMG - I don't know whether to laugh or cry!! We live in small town Alberta, and we are travelling to Disney World next week for our second trip. She sits us down, and says "I think we really need to work on our speech habits. I'm afraid that all the Americans will think we sound like a bunch of dumb hicks!" What the heck? I told her that I DON'T think we sound like the Beverly Hillbillies. Pointed out that we're reasonably well educated and unlikely to embarass her. She INSISTS that our language habits are very "hick" and even that she thinks we have some sort of a western "drawl" ROTFL. Of course, we went the grocery store a little while later and had some fun at her expense - hubby and I calling things back and forth across the aisle like "Y'all ain't gonna eat them-here apples, are ya?" I don't know where teenagers get their ideas from, but I am trying to reassure her that Disney attracts guests from ALL OVER THE WORLD, so I doubt we're going to stand out like a sore thumb.
Does that thar dorter of yours reolize she is comin' to the southern states of 'merica to this here disney world?

My DS(14) has actually started trying to sound like a northerner. He has tried to change his I's and so forth. So, when we catch him in a southern moment , it is such a blast!! He doesn't want to be a backwoods hick even though we live in the mountains of VA. I agree, I don't know where these kids get their ideas. It does make for a lot of fun at their expense though!!:thedolls: Put on your finest southern belle and have a wonderful trip!!:mickey:

glenpreece
12-10-2008, 10:46 PM
LOL yeah I am a Canadian too, I really try to watch that I don't say "eh"

When we drove to WDW in '05 everytime time we had a meal my dad would start talking like he was from 'bama (as he called it) i wanted to crawl under the table!!!

hoop de do
12-11-2008, 10:05 AM
I love your country and find the language interesting. Youns' have nice cricks up there.

By the way, I think your country should be spelled C eh' N eh' D eh'. Just pokin' fun.

Seriously you have a beautiful country and people. I vacation at least once every year. I find myself using "eh" here in PA alot. It just seems to fit when wanting a response.

Have a great vaca and don't change your speech at all eh'.