PDA

View Full Version : MK Christmas Tree Lighting

Marymouse2003
12-05-2008, 12:03 AM
Hi guys,
I have seen the Christmas tree lighting many times over the years @ MK. It used to be in front of the tree facing Main Street toward the Castle. It was precious. Then I saw it only once, when it was moved to the top of the train depot. Is it still there? Where exactly is it? Do they do it every day? Pls give me any/all info. I wld appreciated greatly. Leaving Mon. 12/8. I can't believe, it's finally here.
Thanks and God bless,
Mary

Marymouse2003
12-05-2008, 10:05 PM
Just bumping. Hoping sum1 will chime in.
Thanks!!

mrmcgiv
12-06-2008, 02:10 AM
I was wondering the same thing and also what time do they do this??????????????

Marymouse2003
12-06-2008, 03:55 AM
Hi,
Can any1 help us with this info? Please.
Thanks !

CaptainJessicaSparrow
12-06-2008, 09:25 AM
The tree lighting ceremony is done just at dusk, if I remember correctly. Since the tree is not up yet, it doesn't have a schedule. It will take place in the Main Street Hub, where the tree will be once they put it in. I would expect within the next few days for it to go up because they should finish taping today.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
12-06-2008, 06:58 PM
Update - There have been a few reasons as to why the Epcot Tree Lighting hasn't been happening as well as why the tree at MK hasn't gone up, and they may not do the lighting there either.

And it comes to: Economy.

The Epcot was cut because of the insane costs of having the technicians, equity, and characters, all with a minimum 4 hour call. So they cut the cost there.

For MK, the cost of the crane is absurdly high and they didn't want to have to pay for the crane use twice. So they decided to put the tree up after the taping to save the costs.

Marymouse2003
12-06-2008, 08:29 PM
Thanks sooooo much Jess for the reply. It's a sad day in history when THE ECONOMY puts a clamp on WDW. :spoiler::bang::sob: I'm so upset about the cancellations of tree lighting @ Epcot. Enjoyed it so very much. Still had it in '06. I do hope they change their minds some how. If you hear any more, pls let us know.
Thanks again Jess!!
God bless,

dumbo ears
12-06-2008, 10:11 PM
Thats some good info. Im gonna see it when im there on the 26

elmjimmlm
12-08-2008, 01:08 PM
Update - There have been a few reasons as to why the Epcot Tree Lighting hasn't been happening as well as why the tree at MK hasn't gone up, and they may not do the lighting there either.

And it comes to: Economy.

The Epcot was cut because of the insane costs of having the technicians, equity, and characters, all with a minimum 4 hour call. So they cut the cost there.

Is there a tree in Epcot or none at all? We are 18 days out and this is one of the main things that we want to see...

CaptainSad
12-08-2008, 02:52 PM
Man, am I glad I went last year...

CaptainJessicaSparrow
12-08-2008, 10:27 PM
Is there a tree in Epcot or none at all? We are 18 days out and this is one of the main things that we want to see...

It's there, but they aren't doing the tree lighting ceremony.

As of today, there was no tree at MK yet.

CPT Trips
12-09-2008, 11:09 AM
Just back . . .the crowds were large. This used to be the "off" season . . . the crowds are bigger now . . . I don't get it.
Disney did nothing this year to encourage me to return next year for Christmas.

Disney Lynn
12-10-2008, 08:40 AM
We just returned- no tree at MK for our trip. And only Main Street was decorated for Christmas (except for a few pointsettias scattered around other "lands"). It seemed that all the decorations at MK were for the taping of the Christmas parade- that is, only those parts of the MK that will be seen by TV viewers. And the daytime parade (as well as Spectromagic) were the same as always (I think a few characters may have worn Santa hats?). The hordes of visitors were more Christmasy (that is, decorated with Christmas sweatshirts, hats, etc) than the parks. Very disappointing for those of us who remember when WDW went "all out" for the holidays!