PDA

View Full Version : Career Choice: Nurse Anesthetist?

Mousefever
12-04-2008, 09:39 PM
I am preparing to go to nursing school. I have one prerequisite left. One of the career paths I'm considering is going on to get a masters in nursing, either becoming a nurse midwife or a nurse anesthetist. I think either one would be a fulfilling career, but being a nurse anesthetist would be more financially rewarding and CRNA's are very much in demand.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these careers? I would appreciate if you would share your thoughts with me.

Amy

jennsky
12-04-2008, 09:52 PM
My sister is a nurse anesthetist in Michigan. They are so highly in demand that she can virtually write her own schedule. She works only part-time (by choice) which is great because she has two little kids, and the money she brings in is equivalent to what I make working full-time in my career (if not more!!). I envy her...although I know it's not a job I could do. We are from Canada, so she got her nursing degree up here, and then lived in South Carolina where she got a Masters in Nurse Anesthesia (or however it's called). Don't know how much more I can tell you, but hope that's something! Good luck with your schooling!

threeh
12-04-2008, 10:39 PM
Howdy!!! I am a labor room nurse and have a few friends that are midwives. Depends on the program you do, some midwife programs will give you a certificate, some an MSN. I have to say that nurses themselves are in such high demand that I can make more working night shift with less call than a CNM. I would try out some fields first and see which you like. Best of luck :o)

BigRedDad
12-05-2008, 10:17 AM
My neighbor quit CRNA school after a year. He is older and it impacted his life with is family. That is why he left. With the salaries CRNA's make, it is worth it. If I were young and looking at career paths again, I would go into nursing. Guaranteed work, good pay, overtime when you want/need a little more money.

MNNHFLTX
12-05-2008, 02:14 PM
My husband is a CRNA in south Florida and raves about it. She had actually started out as a Certified Nurse Midwife and switched specialties after a number of years (and the appropriate education). While she found Labor and Delivery fulfilling, the CRNA income and flexible hours is what clinched it for her.

Mousefever
12-05-2008, 07:32 PM
My husband is a CRNA in south Florida and raves about it. She had actually started out as a Certified Nurse Midwife and switched specialties after a number of years (and the appropriate education). While she found Labor and Delivery fulfilling, the CRNA income and flexible hours is what clinched it for her.

It's exactly the income and flexibility that make it appealing to me. A CRNA I know here makes 200K a year working six 24 hour days a month. That's just one of her jobs. The only problem is that there are no CRNA programs in Colorado right now. Hopefully that will change in the years I am in nursing and working as an RN. (Most CRNA programs require that you work at least a year in critical care before you apply.)

Amy

TikiGoddess
12-06-2008, 01:21 PM
The only problem is that there are no CRNA programs in Colorado right now.

Or you could move to CT and do a program here... we'd love to have you around!! :)

Kathy

MNNHFLTX
12-07-2008, 12:39 PM
Woops! I meant to say that my husband's cousin is a CRNA in south Florida. The rest of the information in the post is correct though. :blush:

It's too bad there isn't a Nurse Anesthetist program in Colorado. But as you mentioned in your post, you have some time to peruse your options as you complete your initial nursing education and gain work experience. You may find an appealing career path totally different than either of the ones you mentioned. There are so many more opportunities for nurses now than there used to be.