PDA

View Full Version : Do your feet hurt?

love2teach
12-04-2008, 08:29 PM
I know it's a funny question but I have seen people walking around in flip flops, high heels, boots, etc. and I'm wondering if anyone else's feet are killing them after walking around the parks all day! I've found that I can only wear gym shoes-not even crocs at the parks and I'm amazed at what some people are wearing! :walk: Anybody else???????

JPL
12-04-2008, 08:49 PM
I think I have an advantage being a teacher since I am on my feet all day almost everyday so for the most part my feet never bother me.
But I often wonder that too when I see what people have on thier feet but I guess it's what you are use to wearing and are most comfortable. I usually stick to sneakers that are well broken in. This last trip I had a new pair that i didn't quite get a chance to properly break in and my feet really hurt after the first day. I tried the Crocs experiment one day since in was raining and figured I would be better off and they left blisters and raw spots on the top of my feet.

CaptSmee
12-04-2008, 10:22 PM
I work at Home Depot on concrete floors for 11+ hours a day, so WDW is pretty much a walk in the park for me. Sometimes my legs get tired, but my feet do not get sore at all. :blush:

kakn7294
12-04-2008, 10:38 PM
I have plantar fasciitis and am supposed to wear only supportive shoes like a well-fitting sneaker but my feet actually hurt worse if I do. I only wear Crocs or flip-flops and my feet are much better! My doctor doesn't need to know...:secret:

teamblackwell
12-04-2008, 11:31 PM
That can be alot of walking in one day and cummilatively for a week visit. Especially if you start criss-crossing the park all day. You start at an attraction on one side of the park and walk to the other side cuz you have a craving for a certain snack (whip) and then have to walk all the way back to use a fast-pass, then on top of it all you staying at the CBR, you get the idea.

mouseketeer mom
12-05-2008, 06:54 AM
Flip flop wearer here. My DD is a flip flop wearer too. I find that is most comfortable for me walking around the parks. However, I do fear for my toes in a crowd!

SurferStitch
12-05-2008, 06:55 AM
I'm more comfortable in flip flops or sandals. I don't like the flat flip flops, but I have 4 pair of Douglas Paquette wedge style flops, and they are the most comfortable shoes I own for walking around WDW. My feet never hurt in them. I also have some wedge style sandals that are very comfy. I don't like flats.

I did just buy a pair of stylish Skecher sneaks on our drive down to WDW in October, and while comfy, nothing like my flip flops.

I usually only wear sneakers at the gym. Thank goodness my flip flops/sandals are more comfy, because I like my shoes to match my outfits, and sneakers definitely don't match most of the clothing I wear in the parks. I'm not a t-shirt gal, and usually wear cute, dressy little halters and camis when it's warm. :blush:

MississippiDisneyFreak
12-05-2008, 08:00 AM
Yes, my feet and legs kill me after a couple of days in the park. I always wear good quality, broken in walking shoes....

dolphinmickey9170
12-05-2008, 10:02 AM
I am a Croc wearer, at home, school, work and the parks! When I wear sneakers, my feet hurt. I have quite a wide foot! I love my Crocs, and my feet never hurt.

tink2006
12-05-2008, 10:15 AM
I had a pair of Nike sandals that were wonderful. They lasted a couple of trips to the world. Unfortunately, I think they stopped making them :(

I did find the Croc sandals that have two straps over the top - can't remember what they are called. They turned out to be the most comfortable sandal I have ever worn! I now have them in various colors to match most of the outfits.

My feet no longer hurt even after a week at the parks :mickey:

Lisaj13
12-05-2008, 10:52 AM
I wear broken-in runners, but since I have a sedentary job I also make time for a soak in a hot tub at the end of the day. My feet appreciate it!

I remember coming across a website that had pictures of people's footwear at WDW. It was pretty funny. My favourite was the woman who wore Grecian sandals, and her feet and legs must have swelled during the day. It looked pretty uncomfortable. I'm all about comfort at WDW!

FaithTrustPixieDust
12-05-2008, 10:55 AM
Just like the original poster, I am often astonished at the shoes I see people wearing in the parks!

It would be fun to find those folks again the next day to see if they had caved and bought themselves some Disney crocs at Mousegear!!

thrillme
12-05-2008, 11:37 AM
We're at the parks open to close. I hate wasting time at the hotel when I can be on a roller coaster. My feet are always sore at the end of the day.

I'm blown away at what some of the people wear. Flip flops for even a couple of hours would KILL my feet. I'm not even going to talk about some of the ladies in high heels. :confused:

MizMissy
12-05-2008, 11:47 AM
Flip flops, sandals, slides, mules, sneakers, etc. I mix up my shoes at Disney. But, after a few days, whatever I wear, my feet hurt, my legs hurt, my back hurts, my whole body aches.
I have decided that a Disney trip is like giving birth ... it's exciting and wonderful and joyful, along with exhausting and painful ... but you forget the bad and only remember the good. So, the next year, several days into my trip, I think "wow, I ache all over, I don't remember this from last year," but alas, it's true, it was painful last year also, but the fun was worth it.

On our family trip two years ago, on the fourth day, we were driving to SeaWorld (:secret:) and my son (5 at the time) asked if we had to walk again that day. When I said "yes," he responded that he couldn't walk that day because both of his legs were broken. :) Poor baby, but despite his legs being broken....he continued onward.

SBETigg
12-05-2008, 12:07 PM
I can't walk in flip-flops. I don't know how people do it. I end up flexing my foot in weird ways to keep them on. My sister, who lives in them, says I just don't know how to walk in flip-flops. Who knew it was a special skill or something most people just know how to do-- but not me. I feel left out. But I'm happy in my cushioned socks and broken-in athletic shoes at WDW, so I stick to that.

DONROCK
12-05-2008, 01:41 PM
Last year was my first experience with painful feet. My heels felt like they were fire. My relief came from buying a pair of Crocs, but still had slight pain. We leave next weekend and although I am extremely excited; I am slightly nervous about foot pain :( I have about four different pairs of shoes I'm packing!!

BMan62
12-05-2008, 03:04 PM
I'm fine with all the walking, but I have problems when I have to stand in one place for too long (HISTA pre-show for example.) I have major scoliosis and carry too much weight on my frame - the pressure of standing in one place pinches nerves in my lower back and completely numbs my left leg after a while. Once I get moving again, the feeling returns and I'm fine.

DisneyPrincess21
12-05-2008, 08:14 PM
I know it's a funny question but I have seen people walking around in flip flops, high heels, boots, etc. and I'm wondering if anyone else's feet are killing them after walking around the parks all day! I've found that I can only wear gym shoes-not even crocs at the parks and I'm amazed at what some people are wearing! :walk: Anybody else???????

I ONLY wear flip flops around the parks, Now they are good broken in flip flops, but nonetheless. I tried wearing sneakers with socks my first day. And I had blister's everywhere, It was awful and painfull. From that point on I have only wore flip flops every other trip at the parks.

buzznwoodysmom
12-05-2008, 08:24 PM
My favorite thing to wear on my feet in WDW is flip flops. DH and the kids wear flip flops or crocs and none of us ever get blisters and I can't say that our feet ever really hurt. And we typically go from park open to park closing just about everyday, with the exception of our one day off from the parks.

buzznwoodysmom
12-05-2008, 08:27 PM
On our family trip two years ago, on the fourth day, we were driving to SeaWorld (:secret:) and my son (5 at the time) asked if we had to walk again that day. When I said "yes," he responded that he couldn't walk that day because both of his legs were broken. :) Poor baby, but despite his legs being broken....he continued onward.

When my son was around 4 he told us the same thing. He wanted us to hold him in line because his legs were "broken". I started telling him that I couldn't because my arms were broken. It seemed to work because after that he'd only ask his daddy to hold him.

DisneyPrincess21
12-05-2008, 08:35 PM
When my son was around 4 he told us the same thing. He wanted us to hold him in line because his legs were "broken". I started telling him that I couldn't because my arms were broken. It seemed to work because after that he'd only ask his daddy to hold him.

HAHA, :funny: That's cute. Kids are sooo funny, The stuff they come up with sometimes is amazing to think of how their minds process stuff.

MickeysEars
12-05-2008, 11:01 PM
I have plantar fasciitis and am supposed to wear only supportive shoes like a well-fitting sneaker but my feet actually hurt worse if I do. I only wear Crocs or flip-flops and my feet are much better! My doctor doesn't need to know...:secret:

I do as well, but i found that Crocs, while not hurting my feet, hurt my ankles. I was a mess. any suggestions?

jrkcr
12-05-2008, 11:45 PM
I spend all day in my Asics. And if we are going for just a few hours at night, I change into my crocs(again, well broken in, so no blisters). I love my mary jane style, pink plaid crocs-so cute! I accidentally left them home last trip-put them in the shower and forgot to wash them. :(

A game I play in the parks with DD9: Sit down and try writing your name in cursive in the air with your foot. Then use your other foot and write your last name.

At night I use my little wooden foot roller thingy,but a tennis ball would also work. Or a frozen water bottle. And I take my electric foot bath. I add ice, water, and epsom salts. DH and I play a game to see who can stand the ice cold water longest. Yes, we are kinda odd...but I learned this ice water soak from ballroom dancing. You think walking at WDW hurts?? HA! Try dancing balanced on the balls of your feet, in heels, for hours. Ouch!

thumperbug
12-06-2008, 10:00 PM
I guess it is all about what you are comfortable in. We are sneaker wearers. We bring 2 pairs each..broken in....I also bring arch inserts and extra pair of socks. Depending on what my feet are doing I might add the inserts for a little bit or not..but the biggest relief (short of a good foot soak) is changing into a nice clean, dry pair of cusshy socks mid day.

I also recommend the socks made for diabetics. They are comfy, and airy. If you don't want to carry an extra pair of socks with you, turning your socks inside out midday helps as well.

dumbo ears
12-06-2008, 10:08 PM
ya ive seen people in heels before. I wore sperries one time with no socks and they killed my feet. Sandals aren't that bad if they are comfortable and you are used to walking in them

pixiesmimi
12-06-2008, 11:11 PM
First couple of times we went, I had terrible problems with my feet and ankles swelling no matter what shoe I wore. I had never had that happen before. My tennis/athletic shoes left blisters also. Then I found out about crocs and tried them and flip flops the next year. They were wonderful and never had blisters or swollen feet again. My legs do get tired and I just have to sit down sometimes and by the time we get back to the resort I just want to soak them but I have never thought I could wear flip flops. Couldn't understand how others could either. Then I discovered Fit Flops from Bath and Body Works or Victoria's Secret. They are wedge flip flops that are made to energize your legs and tone them up. They are soooo comfortable that I can walk all day in them. Regular walking shoes/athletic shoes were the ones that hurt my feet the worst. My DD wore the croc sandles with the straps across the top when she went and said she had never had such comfortable shoes before.

mom2morgan
12-07-2008, 12:05 AM
My problem last time was blisters - I had cheap running shoes, and I'm somewhat overweight and unaccustomed to a lot of walking. I was in AGONY- I finally spent one day in crocs - they hurt too, but in different places so it was a kind of relief ;-) I'm really hoping I do better this time with better shoes.

Seasonscraps
12-07-2008, 12:45 AM
I switch between wearing sneakers and comfortable sandals. My feet get so hot in the sneaks so I don't like to wear them all the time. I have a couple of pairs of bass sandals that are very comfy to walk in - so I bring those for shorter park days & the evenings.

Dawneeeey
12-07-2008, 10:31 AM
I used to bring two pairs of well worn in sneakers and rotate. The last trip I brought sneakers and croc flip flops. I wore the flip flops the first day and thought, hey not bad! The second day I switched to sneakers. I was in agony. I wore my croc flip flops for the rest of the trip and had NO pain!

:cloud9:

TinkerbellT421
12-07-2008, 11:04 AM
Well, usually I buy a new pair of Nike Air Sneakers a few months before the trip. (Me and DBF just did on a blow-out sale @ Bobs store) got them for like 15.00 a pair! Practically stole them for that price! :secret: We break them in (but not too much) by wearing them during the weekends and stuff and we have done fine with our feet on our past trips. We also like to take a break every night in the hot tub so Im sure our bodies appreciate that lol. Last year I accidently walked out of the hotel room in sandals for a day at MK, I thought my feet were going to fall off by the end of the day! I had to go back to the room and change them. I was ready to cut my feet off so the pain would go away! lol. And mind I love sandals and would wear them all year long if I didnt live in RI and it wasnt snowing right now as I type this. :mad: But for some reason I cannot handle sandals at the parks. Just doesnt work for me. I was thinking about buying a pair of Curves workout sneakers that are made for like walking/jogging/exercising. I can them pretty cheap, so I have been debating on getting a pair and trying them. They have some kind of crazy air/cushion insole thing I dont know what it is. But I dont know yet.

disneylovinmom
12-07-2008, 12:39 PM
Clarks are the most comfy shoes for me. I also wear my Skechers sneakers some with no problems. We went last December and I mostly wore my Clarks and my feet did not hurt any.

Lizzie
12-07-2008, 03:51 PM
We always stop for naps. So I rotate shoes morning and night and each day. I rotate between my crocs with just the two straps, my Tevas, and my Nikes that I work out in.

I also up my walking about 3 months before our trip.

But I remember going to Disney as a kid and my legs and feet just killing me. My girls are only 2 now so they alwasy use the stroller but our double stroller holds up to 50 pounds a person so we will let them use the stroller at Disney until they reach the weight limit.

jensantuit
12-07-2008, 04:18 PM
I have high arches so I wear my easy spirit sneakers. I have my boys (2 and 4) wear either sneakers or Stride Rite sandals. Hubby also wears sneakers. Now my friend (who has no arches on her feet) can only wear flip flops because the sneakers hurt her feet. Her family wears a combination of sneakers and sandals.

amd780
12-07-2008, 06:55 PM
In January I wore my Mary-Jane style Skechers, and my feet were killing me at the end of the day! I've since learned that regular sneakers are better for my feet when walking around all day. I'm pretty much flat-footed, so that may account for why my feet hurt so much.

PixiePrincess
12-07-2008, 07:14 PM
I've worn all different types of shoes to the parks (except for heels, of course) and I honestly prefer wearing my flip flops! We do so much walking all day that I usually get blisters and my feet hurt regardless of what types of shoes I wear!

IloveDisney71
12-07-2008, 07:38 PM
I wear comfortable tennis shoes. I make sure to take a pair that is broken in since I wouldn't want to break in a new pair at Disney. The only time I wear flip-flops at Disney is when it rains and I know I won't be at a park for a long time. My two DD's wore flip-flops during our last summer trip but that would kill my feet at the end of a long day. The only time I really notice that my feet are tired/sore is when I'm standing still for a long time (after walking the parks all day) waiting for bus or a preshow like the Muppets 3-d.

Imagineer1981
12-07-2008, 10:59 PM
I do both flip flops and running shoes. Depending on my attire, I will wear Asics running shoes or my Reef flip flops. Either one is great

Mendelson
12-09-2008, 05:11 PM
One time we saw a few international gentlemen, seemingly well-heeled (no pun intended) and each one was with what one could only assume to be hired companionship. Each of those very attractive ladies was in ridiculous heels. Like, five inches. We were stunned...and wondered how much they were making!

teambricker04
12-10-2008, 01:12 AM
I wear tennis shoes or Keen sandals. I have bannished Crocs from our lives even though I loved them and so did my two little boys (I stepped on a needle which broke off in my foot and it now resides for the rest of my life). They were great for kickin' around the parks... especially if it is wet!

Anyhoo, I always get a kick (har har.) seeing what everyone else wears. I only wish I could be fashionable at WDW!!! Comfort is key.

Bethanymouse
12-10-2008, 07:16 AM
I am always amazed at how much my feet hurt at the end of the day. I have tried it all. Comfy sandals many years ago. New sneakers, worn in sneakers, newly worn in sneakers. Nothing truly seems to work for the amount of walking we do. Except.....this past summer we were there for 12 days. On about the 6th day both my DF and I were really hurting with our feet. We saw everyone with crocs and thought what the heck, lets give it a go. I wear them at home, but thought there is NO way those will be comfy all day in the park. Well, they were. I am a crocs girl now. I have my disney crocs, and while I wont only travel withh them, I will also bring sneakers, I will probably opt to wear the crocs more often then not in the park!

eandrsmom
12-10-2008, 09:38 AM
I try to bring two or three pair of shoes and rotate them. Usually, I bring a good pair of running shoes, and flip flops. However, the flip flops that I bring are not generic flip flops, they are Cole Hann by Nike and Reef. Both are a bit more expensive than regular flip flops, but they are SOOOO worth it. They both offer a ton more support than regular flip flops.

Hull-onian
12-11-2008, 01:54 PM
We went in April. I don't mind walking, not at all. However, my right foot is still blistered, now we are going in 142 days, so I hope my foot heals by then.:thumbsup:

Hull-onian
12-11-2008, 01:55 PM
I try to bring two or three pair of shoes and rotate them. Usually, I bring a good pair of running shoes, and flip flops. However, the flip flops that I bring are not generic flip flops, they are Cole Hann by Nike and Reef. Both are a bit more expensive than regular flip flops, but they are SOOOO worth it. They both offer a ton more support than regular flip flops.

You know how to shop for shoes!! Way to go! Shop on!!:thumbsup:

Disney_Barbie
12-12-2008, 03:54 PM
I'm one of those people that walks around in heels @ disney. And don't worry I must get 10-15 comments a day of things like "Oh, you're not gonna make it" or "how do you do that?"

But, like other's here mention, I have the advantage of being on my feel alot in regular life. I also wear heels , or shoes that may not seem appropriate 99% of the time, so I guess my feet are just used to it. Sure sometimes at the end of a long day my feet are a little sore, but from what I see when I'm there w/ friends & family (wearing sneakers, crocs, or other 'comfy' shoes) my feet don't tend to be any worse of then theirs.
And the only other factor in my case is : I dont' know how some of you do disney, I know on childhood visits we'd be there when the parks opened and would stay until they closed. But for my DH & I Disney is a relaxing, romantic vaca for us. We generally stay on property & go back to the room. So if you see me wearing my heels @ 2am in the Magic Kingdom's EMH, I've probably only had them on since like 6pm (we generally do a morning park, and then go to the hotel, change, have a nice dinner and hit the parks again since the summer hours are so nice & late) Whereas, some folks wondering around the MK @ 2am have been on their feet since 9am! So that's another reason why my feet don't bother me as much as other's.

stitchaholic
12-14-2008, 07:26 PM
when we went last year,it was my first time back to the parcs since i was small,i brought several pairs of shoes thinking i would be well prepared,well on the 3rd day i ended up buying a pair of mickey crocs and they were the only ones i could bear to wear for the rest of the trip!

WDW24
12-14-2008, 09:57 PM
Well, I just got back from WDW, :( and my feet were killing me just by standing on the line for Toy Story Mania! :mickey:

LuvsTigger80
12-15-2008, 11:43 AM
When I wear sneakers, my feet hurt. I have quite a wide foot! I love my Crocs, and my feet never hurt.

i totally agree with this...whenever i wear sneakers, i get blisters and sore ankles. I wear my crocs, and the only thing that hurts are my calfs. I would take sore calfs over sore ankles anyday.

IamBelle
12-15-2008, 05:04 PM
This past trip, I wore running shoes and the last 5 days they started to hurt, so i switched to flip flops, but they just made it worse. It is odd, because I am in a marching band and we practice 3 hours 3 times a week from Sept-Oct and my feet never had blisters, but 11 days in WDW, and my feet are being tortured, i don't get it.

thumperbug
12-15-2008, 06:08 PM
I think that unless you are used to being on your feet 12 hours a day everyday and walking around you are going to end up with sore feet/ankles etc no matter what you wear on your feet.

I recently took a part time job where I am on my feet and moving for 6 hours at a clip. Even in my most comfy, broken in sneakers with the best socks...I start to feel some discomfort by hour 5. I am hoping that this temp job will help get my feet in better shape for my Feb trip. I've even lost weight with all the moving around on this job.

2 months from today I will be in the happiest place on earth. The only thing that could be better is if my beloved dog Thumper could be with us. :(

dolphinmickey9170
12-15-2008, 08:35 PM
:mickey:As I stated earlier, I love my crocs. They are actually having a great sale right now. I just had to get the pink ones I was trying to find back in May (re my trip report where I hunted high and low for my favorite pink crocs). The disney crocs are half price compared to the park. And free fedex shipping too!! WOOHOO!!!!!:mickey:

GINNY69
12-17-2008, 08:24 PM
Last time I went to Disney I wore comfortable sneakers and still my feet were a little sore but not bad.. previous years I sometimes would wear those tennis sneakers which have little or no support for your feet..

pixiesmimi
12-18-2008, 10:00 AM
:mickey:As I stated earlier, I love my crocs. They are actually having a great sale right now. I just had to get the pink ones I was trying to find back in May (re my trip report where I hunted high and low for my favorite pink crocs). The disney crocs are half price compared to the park. And free fedex shipping too!! WOOHOO!!!!!:mickey:

Thank you so much for telling us this! I went to the site and got me some more :mickey: crocs and also some for DGDs. Great prices! :thumbsup: Thanks!

LoriMistress
12-18-2008, 06:28 PM
My feet can hurt at times. I normally wear walking shoes. But I do take breaks during the day so my feet aren't completely screaming at me by the evening.

dolphinmickey9170
12-19-2008, 10:06 AM
Thank you so much for telling us this! I went to the site and got me some more :mickey: crocs and also some for DGDs. Great prices! :thumbsup: Thanks!

You are so welcome!! I bought three pair!!:mickey:

mom2morgan
12-21-2008, 11:17 AM
OMG, yes! I got home two days ago, and I'm still limping! The first five days not a problem at all- then suddenly on day 6 I got blisters everywhere and could barely walk at all at times. You know what I think the difference is? I was using "blister blocker" (another brand I think is called "Body Glide") faithfully at first - and then I got lazy because my feet weren't hurting. Stupid move considering I'm very heavy, and not accustomed to walking more than an hour or two at a time.

thumperbug
12-21-2008, 07:40 PM
blister block and body guard are essentially the same thing (except for size and price) and they do work!! Even if you get a blister it will help.

The Bandaid blister bandaids work great if you get blisters. They have different sizes. The finger ones work great on little toes.

albino_pygmy
12-21-2008, 07:44 PM
My feet have been sore from just my stinky smelly jungley boots, but it doesn't hurt as much as breathing in the intoxicating green fumes coming from between my toes when I pull 'em off. I almost feel sorry for those who are in the same room with me when those puppies come off :sick: