PDA

View Full Version : palm tree cake

Minnie Imagineer
12-03-2008, 04:49 PM
I am making a palm tree as a decoration for a cake. It has to be all edible (no wires..etc) and I don't have any fancy equipment that I have been finding online. I don't know how to make it so I was searching and found that most people used a pretzel stick but never explained how they got the leaves on it and what they were made out of. Also, I found a creative tree using reese p-buter cups stacked on each other.
Can anyone help me out?
Thank you!!!

TikiGoddess
12-03-2008, 05:07 PM
A palm tree is tough without wires... hmm.

I haven't tried it before, but if I were to do it, I would use gumpaste for the leaves. Then use icing (or royal icing) to stick them on the top of the trunk (I like the idea of Reese's cups for the trunk!).

Gumpaste mix can be found at your local craft store. It works sort of like playdough but hardens so it keeps its shape.

Kathy

SBETigg
12-03-2008, 05:54 PM
If not gum paste, you could maybe find those gumdrop spearmint leaves and roll them out to flatten them? If you roll them in granulated sugar, it keeps them from getting sticky. If they're rolled thin enough, they will stick with some icing.

danicafan
12-03-2008, 06:00 PM
I made palm trees on a golf course cake for my F-I-L a few years ago. I used pretzel rods and then used green fruit rollups for the palms. I unrolled them and cut them into strips and then folded them onto the pretzel rods. I used the large thick pretzel rods. Hope this helps!

Tick-Tock
12-04-2008, 11:58 AM
Search for Diego cake. The Nick Jr website has a really great one with palm trees and instructions for making them.

Essentially, you use the meltable green candy wafers (we got ours at Michaels in the candy-making aisle). Melt the wafers and put the goo in a plastic bag. Cut the corner off, and pipe the melted candy on to your pretzel. You can either make green wafer leaves, fruit leather, etc., but the candy sets and holds the leaves to the pretzel.