PDA

View Full Version : Turned Down for Life Insurance

Granny Jill A
12-03-2008, 03:00 PM
Perhaps there are some insurance experts out there who will confirm what I suspect happened to me. I applied for more life insurance through my employer and was denied because of a history of high blood pressure.

I am sure that was part of it, but I suspect my age (61) was the deciding factor.

offwego
12-03-2008, 03:11 PM
Some of both were likely a factor. Did they do an actual medical test or just a verbal history question?

You may want to contact an insurance agent vs. your group plan to see if you still have options.

Strmchsr
12-03-2008, 03:42 PM
Having worked in the insurance business for a while I can tell you that neither high blood pressure nor your age automatically decline you with most policies. However, group plans often have much stricter policies than individual plans. There was probably something else either in your blood work, the questions you answered, etc that caused you to be declined. Have you ever had a heart attack? Ever had cancer? Diabetes? Etc. Those things can turn you down right away.

If you want to ask specific questions, feel free to PM me and I can get the answers for you and tell you where you might look if you really need more life insurance.

Stitchahula
12-04-2008, 11:17 AM
We've tried getting insurance for our DS but they keep turning us down to. When they get to medical info I think they just shake their heads and say no way.

Granny Jill A
12-04-2008, 01:49 PM
Some of both were likely a factor. Did they do an actual medical test or just a verbal history question?

No medical tests were performed. They telephoned me and asked questions about my health. I was surprised when they turned me down completely. I can get insurance through other sources by paying a higher premium. That's what I thought would happen.