PDA

View Full Version : ghosts in the haunted mansion?

mouselover93
12-02-2008, 08:34 PM
i was talking with my one friend todau who's coming to disney with us this week and asked him how they do the ghosts in the haunted mansions at the parts with the mirrors. neither of us had any ideas. does anybody know how they do that?

JPL
12-02-2008, 08:44 PM
Spoiler Ahead!!!!!

Highlight the white text to read

It's a rather simple effect called Pepper's Ghost it's done with lighting and reflection and has been around since the the mid 1800's. It's a very similar to looking out a car window under the right conditions and it looks like the people in cars are outside and see through. for more information search it on google.

brewcrew26
12-02-2008, 10:40 PM
There's a YouTube video with one of the Disney park VPs, Tony Baxter, doing a walk-through tour of HM. It's probably about 40 minutes and like 6 segments to watch. But, he goes into some of the secrets of the ride. I watched it this weekend and was just amazed at how much I didn't really know about it.

kakn7294
12-03-2008, 12:05 AM
Those are REAL ghosts! :ghost:

WDWdriver
12-03-2008, 12:31 PM
... how they do the ghosts in the haunted mansions at the parts with the mirrors.

Sounds like you are asking about the ghosts who appear in the doom buggy with you at the end of the ride. This effect is achieved differently than the ghosts in the ballroom scene. It's sort of a reverse Pepper's Ghost.

I don't want to spoil the magic here, so I won't be specific. I can only say that all the ghosts you see during the ride actually exist in a solid form. There are no projected images of ghosts.

CU Tiger
12-03-2008, 09:35 PM
If I recall, one of the DW shows on either the travel channel or the discovery channel showed behind the scenes for the ghosts in the mirror. I can remember seeing it how they did it, but I do not tell my DDs. I tell them that they will keep them company when they sleep tonight. :D:mickey:

CaptainJessicaSparrow
12-04-2008, 12:27 AM
There are no mirrors in the HM to make the ghosts appear.

And I know because I've stood in the ballroom.

WDWdriver
12-04-2008, 09:48 AM
I've been in the ballroom several times, too, Jessica. Once I got to arrange the plates at the head of the table into the hidden mickey. I'm sure you will agree that walking through the HM is just the coolest experience ever!!!!

CaptainJessicaSparrow
12-04-2008, 10:45 AM
No, not the coolest.

It's the probably the best CM experience I've had that doesn't involve guests. It was truly amazing and I was just awe-struck.

I liked looking for all the hidden Jacks and seeing the ghosts up close and personal. I think walking the attic and seeing just how much detail is in there is probably one of the best experiences as well.

Stu29573
12-04-2008, 03:37 PM
Yep, the hitchhiking ghosts effect is different from the ballroom guests, although both use lighting to reveal the otherworldly residents...

DizneyRox
12-04-2008, 04:11 PM
Yes, I believe the hitchhiking ghosts are done with a two way mirror. When one side is well lit, the other is not, the mirror works like any other mirror. When the not so well lit side gets some light, objects on the other side start to appear, The amount of transparency is determined by the difference in lighting levels between the two.

The ballroom is indeed a Pepper's Ghost effect.

Ghosts ARE projected in the attic scene on the scrim.

Speedy1998
12-04-2008, 07:00 PM
There is a book sold in MK, (outside of HM and on Main Street) that tells the whole story of the HM. It includes the differences between the DL, WDW, Paris DL, and Tokyo DL versions, and tells how most of the effects are achieved.

dumbo ears
12-04-2008, 08:57 PM
I never knew but after reading the other guys comment thats awesome

WDWdriver
12-04-2008, 10:11 PM

Yes, I forgot about that. Also the projected image of the piano playing ghost on the floor in front of the grand piano.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
12-04-2008, 11:17 PM
Yep, the hitchhiking ghosts effect is different from the ballroom guests, although both use lighting to reveal the otherworldly residents...

No, it's not. It's the same concept, different set up.

Yes, I believe the hitchhiking ghosts are done with a two way mirror. When one side is well lit, the other is not, the mirror works like any other mirror. When the not so well lit side gets some light, objects on the other side start to appear, The amount of transparency is determined by the difference in lighting levels between the two.

The ballroom is indeed a Pepper's Ghost effect.

It's not a mirror. There are no mirrors. And a two way mirror is really a one way mirror that the person can see through on one side, but not the other. It's the same as the ballroom, just a different type of glass (not a mirror).

And the Ghost Host isn't projected on a scrim in the Stretching Room. A scrim isn't a projection screen because light doesn't penetrate it. The ghost is really hanging in the rafters.

disneychick62
12-05-2008, 08:53 AM
When we went on the keys to the kingdom tour our tour guide told us some secrets about the haunted mansion. The part with the ball room, when your in there open ur cellphone and hold it under your chin. You will see your reflection in front of you like a ghost. I tried this and it worked. Make sure your lokking straight ahead into the ballroom when you do it...:secret:

DizneyRox
12-05-2008, 09:38 AM
... And the Ghost Host isn't projected on a scrim in the Stretching Room. A scrim isn't a projection screen because light doesn't penetrate it. The ghost is really hanging in the rafters.
Attic Scene != Stretching Room

It's actually the attic scene into the graveyard scene I was referring to.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
12-05-2008, 10:10 AM
Ah, okay, cause yeah...the Ghost Host's body is real.

Stu29573
12-05-2008, 10:28 AM
No, it's not. It's the same concept, different set up.

:spoiler:

What I meant was that the hitchhiking ghosts are not a peppers ghost effect, although the effects are similar. For example, both use lighting to illuminate the ghosts on cue, and make them appear where they are not. However, in the ballroom you see a reflection whereas with the hitchhiking ghost you see the actual figure, albeit supposedly in a mirror. One is a reflection and isn't supposed to be seen as one, while one isn't a reflection and is supposed to be seen as one.

KevMcNJ
12-05-2008, 11:57 PM
www.doombuggies.com has the answers youre looking for.

Great website to waste many hours of your life on

Stu29573
12-06-2008, 12:27 PM
Also, "The Haunted Mansion, From the Magic Kingdom to the Movies" by Jason Surrell is great. Lots of pics and stories from all four Haunted Mansions (and the movie, if you're interested)...

WDWdriver
12-06-2008, 02:56 PM
in the ballroom you see a reflection whereas with the hitchhiking ghost you see the actual figure, albeit supposedly in a mirror.

Exactly right.

dmosher
12-06-2008, 04:43 PM
The trick used is a very old magic/movie trick called Pepper's Ghost (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pepper's_ghost).

It is a very easy trick to do and once you read how it is done you will find it happens by accident in your home all the time, just on a smaller scale than in the HM.
:pipes:
D

Ian
12-08-2008, 04:05 PM
I don't want to spoil the magic here, so I won't be specific. I can only say that all the ghosts you see during the ride actually exist in a solid form. There are no projected images of ghosts.Well ... technically there are plenty of projected images of ghosts.

Madame Leota comes to mind, as does Little Leota, and the singing statues in the graveyard. All of those are, I believe, projections.

And of course the projected ghosts in the graveyard scene, the attic bride, the piano player ...