PDA

View Full Version : Recovering American Soldiers and Christmas cards

green ranger
12-02-2008, 04:01 PM
I wanted to share an address that I received to send Christmas cards to injured American soldiers. I had my children join me in making Christmas cards for them and we mailed them. The address is: A Recovering American Soldier
c/o Walter Reed Army Medical Center, 6900 Georgia Avenue NW, Washington DC 20307-5001. Putting a smile on someone's face and letting them know they are cared for is what Christmas is all about.

Chescat
12-02-2008, 07:12 PM
I also checked heard about this:

Holiday Mail for Heroes is a partnership between the American Red Cross and Pitney Bowes to deliver one million holiday cards to American service members, veterans and their families in the United States and around the world. Please send cards to this address, following the guidelines listed below:

Holiday Mail for Heroes
PO Box 5456
Capitol Heights, MD 20791-5456

Please follow these simple guidelines when sending your card to ensure it will quickly reach service members, veterans and their families.

All cards must be postmarked no later than Wednesday, December 10, 2008. Cards sent after this date will be returned to sender.

If you intend to send more than one card send them in one large shipping envelope. Cards sent in this manner do not need individual envelopes or postage.

Please ensure that all cards are signed.
Please use generic salutations such as “Dear Service Member.”
Please do not include personal information, like email or home addresses.
Please do not send letters.
Please do not include inserts of any kind, including photos, glitter, confetti, gift cards or calling cards. Any items inserted into cards will be removed during the reviewing process.
All cards received may be used in program publicity efforts, including appearing in broadcast, print or online mediums.

goingbacktodisney
12-02-2008, 08:12 PM
My kindergarten class is in the process of sending out 100 cards this week to the Holiday Cards for Heros. Some of the writing is more eligible than others, but I hope that the recipient sees that it IS the thought that counts. We got 35 written today. They were all so willing to try their best...I started to cry!

disneydrmr
12-03-2008, 04:05 PM
I wanted to share an address that I received to send Christmas cards to injured American soldiers. I had my children join me in making Christmas cards for them and we mailed them. The address is: A Recovering American Soldier
c/o Walter Reed Army Medical Center, 6900 Georgia Avenue NW, Washington DC 20307-5001. Putting a smile on someone's face and letting them know they are cared for is what Christmas is all about.

Though a very good idea.. it does not work. I tried this last year and the card was sent back. Due to security reasons they will not deliver mail to "any soldier" or anything like that.. mail must be sent to a specific named soldier.

The Holiday Cards for Heros sounds wonderful! I'll send a few cards out tonight!

handmaidenofprincesses
12-03-2008, 04:09 PM

This email has been circulating for a while, but they said on the news recently that Walter Reed would not distribute cards that were not addressed to a specific soldier, citing HIPPA laws and possible threats. Just wanted to let everyone know. The Holiday Cards for Heroes sounds like a better option. :)