PDA

View Full Version : Vb & Hhi

Disney_Barbie
12-01-2008, 02:22 PM
This is no-doubt a stupid question, because I'm 99% sure I know the right answer, but I guess I just want expert clarification :
What (if any) are the dis-advantages to buying into VB or HHI ? I know that whenever choosing your "home resort" you have to take into consideratoin the whole 11 month booking vs. 7 month booking, but I really don't forsee that being an issue w/ us since we always go in Sept & January. Ok, so ignoring that, and partially taking into the consideration that fact that VB & HHI are the 2 resorts with the highest maintenence fees? What's wrong with them? I don't mean that in an offensive way, I just ask because we're looking into buying a resale (only about 100 points or so) but noticed that VB sells for as low as like $48-$50 per point! whereas the cheapest Boardwalk I could find was like $75pp. That's quite a price difference! That's where my level of confusion comes in.

You can still use all your points at Boardwalk if you so choose right???? (even though your home resort is far from the actual theme parks). Or are people honestly paying THAT much more per point just to have the 11 month booking advantage?

DVC Mike
12-01-2008, 07:12 PM
The big disadvantage are the higher annual maintenance fees (especially for Vero Beach):

2009 Annual Dues

BLT = $3.67
AKV = $4.86
SSR = $4.34
BCV = $5.00
BWV = $5.21
VWL = $5.04
OKW = $4.73
HHI = $5.36
VB = $6.41

Ed
12-01-2008, 08:12 PM
What's "wrong" with Vero Beach and Hilton Head can be summed up in three words: Location, Location, Location.

Being fairly far removed from the WDW resorts, they are essentially standalone resorts that must have their own support systems - maintenance, operations, landscaping, dining, etc. They can't just call a centralized department around the corner to fill their needs.

Maintenance is also considerably more expensive due to their location by the ocean. The salt air plays havoc on paint, landscaping, machinery, and just daily maintenance items such as window washing, beach maintenance, pool maintenance and such.

Lastly, the fact that both are located in hurricane-prone areas (Vero Beach sustained considerable damage in the 2004 hurricanes) requires adherence to very strict building codes, results in high insurance costs, and both are in counties that have very high property taxes.

Ian
12-02-2008, 06:56 AM
I also definitely wouldn't downplay the significance of the 7/11 month windows. Despite going in January and September, you may find you still have difficulty booking into the resort of your choice.

Are you willing to stay at Old Key West or Saratoga Springs? I wouldn't go in to it thinking you're going to get a room at the Beach Club every time.