PDA

View Full Version : Do you keep your towel creatures?

Marceline
11-30-2008, 11:07 PM
I was curious how many of you take the mousekeeping towel art home with you as a souvineer? What is the etiquette on that? I don't want to feel like I am stealing hand towels. heh:blush:

We had a number of small towel friends left by the mousekeeper on our last visit but didn't know if we were supposed to take them or not, so we didn't. But on the last day she left our daughter a huge towel DOLL that had Minnie ears and a red pipe cleaner bow. It was too wonderful and loved to leave behind. That was two years ago and we still have her. It was an awesome towel creation and now a cherished keepsake. :mickey:

kakn7294
11-30-2008, 11:53 PM
We've done both - leave them behind and bring them home. I've heard different schools of thought on this topic and it sometimes becomes a heated debate. I think you have to just go with whatever you feel comfortable with. I'm glad we have the one we brought home and I don't think they have a problem with it - after all, they know who was just in that room.

Belster
12-01-2008, 12:07 AM
Well, after much discussion on my most recent trip we decided to keep a towel creature. I still feel bad about it.

NotaGeek
12-01-2008, 02:15 AM
Towels in any hotel are not a take home item. Stealing towels or any non individual use item from a hotel room is one of the causes of raising prices -- it's not the same as taking the extra lotion or soap (many times hotels throw them away each time a room is vacated regardless of use), towels are not intended to be a parting gift, and someone has to pay for those stolen items! :nono:

luvnwdw
12-01-2008, 07:53 AM
our first trip to WDW was in June 07, mousekeeping left small (washcloth size) animals in our room each day, before we left I called the concierge desk to ask if I could purchase the towel animals left and he said if I liked them then I could take them, but keep in mind I called and offered to buy them, if he had said no I can not buy them or have them I would have never taken them home.

mouseketeer mom
12-01-2008, 08:01 AM
I have taken 3 home from the Poly. Mousekeeping left 3, one for each of my children, a small cat, dog, and goose. All decorated with Hawaiian flowers. They each have them in their rooms now. We've left behind large Mickey's left on our beds, Anniversary swans, and various other creatures. I truely didn't think of it as stealing, they seemed "gifts" for my children, intended for them to love. I wouldn't make a habit of it.

luvdiznee
12-01-2008, 08:33 AM
Towels in any hotel are not a take home item. Stealing towels or any non individual use item from a hotel room is one of the causes of raising prices -- it's not the same as taking the extra lotion or soap (many times hotels throw them away each time a room is vacated regardless of use), towels are not intended to be a parting gift, and someone has to pay for those stolen items! :nono:

That's what I thought, yet I read about so many people taking them. We've only gotten them one time and that was on our first trip, so I didn't even consider taking them then. :cool:

Mickey91
12-01-2008, 08:52 AM

I really don't think it comes down to stealing. It is a simple question as to whether or not these items are intended as gifts or just room decor to enjoy while you are there. Maybe the best thing for Disney to do is post a sign or leave a note saying which is correct. If mousekeeping leaves them as a gift, I would feel terrible leaving them behind. Yet, I don't want to "steal" anything either. On that note, we have kept a couple wachcloth animals but always leave the towels. We were extremely disappointed in the Contemporary as there wasn't one animal the whole week.

bkfree
12-01-2008, 09:24 AM
On our first trip with our kids, we kept the first washcloth animals they left us, but not the others. On our next trip we did not take them.
I think Disney pretty much assumes that many people will take the washcloth ones.

KatMark
12-01-2008, 09:50 AM
Sometimes we have taken them and sometimes we have left them behind. We have talked to Mousekeeping and they have told us that they are ours to keep and take if we so choose. They use old washcloths and hand towels that would be going into the garbage as new ones come in.

MNNHFLTX
12-01-2008, 09:54 AM
Only adding to the confusion is that a number of people have been told (by housekeeping) that it is okay to take the towel creations home. :/

Moderator Note--Since this does often become a somewhat heated debate, I just want to remind everyone ahead of time to keep the discussion civil.

Marceline
12-01-2008, 10:03 AM

Well, in thinking back on it, the towel doll was not merely left in the room for my daughter it was actually handed to her by our housekeeper. So I honestly believe this towel was intended as a parting gift.:thumbsup:

Donald's Girl
12-01-2008, 10:23 AM
As others mentioned, I have also been told by many of the Mousekeeping staff that they are mine to take home. Next time you have one in your room, take a look at the towel/washcloth. It will most likely have fraying edges, thin spots, etc.; they don't use the same supply rooms are replenished with to make these towel animals!

Take them and enjoy (according to all I've spoken to!)

TheDuckRocks
12-01-2008, 11:43 AM
I take mine home with me every time in the form of a photograph.:thumbsup:

Granny Jill A
12-01-2008, 11:46 AM

Ditto.... photos are the best souvenirs.

Seasonscraps
12-01-2008, 11:47 AM

Me too.

I never really thought to take them - I know it would ultimately end up in my linen closet. :blush:

tinklover
12-01-2008, 12:34 PM
when we went in june we had decorated our window with a ton of the girls dolls so i am thinking that may have been why we did not get any creatures but... our mousekeeper did make a toothbrush holder for us out of a wash cloth and one of teh plastic water cups and she added a snow white sticker to it. when we left we had left it in teh room and our mouse keeper came running after us saying you forgot your cup and handed it to my youngest DD. So when we go again in oct i am planning on keeping any creatures we may recieve.

#1donaldfan
12-01-2008, 12:35 PM
I truly believe that IF Disney was concerned with the nominal "loss" due to some guests taking home the towel animals, then they would tell mousekeeping to not make them any longer....just my thoughts anyway.....:cool:

SurferStitch
12-01-2008, 01:05 PM
I never take the large towel creatures, but I have kept several of the washcloth animals (after being told to do so by mousekeeping).

The ones I have are actually made out of very nice washcloths (no fraying or wear).

There is nothing wrong with keeping the small washcloth creatures, especially when you're told it's acceptable by the staff.

Zawadi
12-01-2008, 03:21 PM
:ditto: and the photos take up less space and are easier to keep clean when we don't have the luxury of a mousekeeper ;)

Tinkerbella16
12-01-2008, 03:30 PM
A few weeks ago we got two towel animals during our trip at POFQ...the first was a bouquet that looked like flowers with heart stickers and glitter on it, it was so cute so I just took a picture.

And the second was a swan and it had a bow tied around the kneck with mickey mouse heads on it...it was adorable! So we took that one home as a souvenier for my sister who was so upset all week that she wasn't there with us!

I don't see anything wrong with it...there was a lot of wash clothes in the swan though and a big towel! HEHE!!! :mickey:

We3
12-01-2008, 03:37 PM
The first time we went there we kept it. All other times we have not.

IloveDisney71
12-01-2008, 05:06 PM
I truly believe that IF Disney was concerned with the nominal "loss" due to some guests taking home the towel animals, then they would tell mousekeeping to not make them any longer....just my thoughts anyway.....:cool:
That's exactly what I was thinking.:)

andreallybadeggs
12-01-2008, 06:19 PM
I also called to check on the protocol and was told it would be fine to take them home so have no guilty feelings whatsoever. My DD and her friend were both celebrating Sweet 16 b'days so their towel buddies were special souvenirs. My DD still has hers placed amongst all her favorite stuffed animals.

Pixie Power
12-02-2008, 12:06 AM

Good post, I agree. :thumbsup:

& Just to add...when we stayed @ the BC summer before last, there were two tables set up in the lobby w/ Mousekeepers that were on the 'injured reserve list' making towel animals for the guests. You could go up and wait in line and request what you wanted based on what their ability to make was. Would you consider that stealing if we took those home? After all, they were made specifically for my daughters & other guests, so we considered them gifts and my girls brought them home.

BMan62
12-02-2008, 09:41 AM
We generally onlty take pictures of them home, if anything.

The one(s) we really enjoyed were on our Valentine's trip a couple years ago -- it was a a pair of swans, on our bed, beak to beak, making a big Valentine's heart. We were able to keep them together the entire stay and placed them on top of the television cabinet with our cards to each other and the Mickey/Minnie Valentine's Photo stand.

BraddyB
12-02-2008, 12:24 PM
We kept ours from our honeymoon and so far the Disney towel police havent arrested us. Then again if they want to come pick me up and fly me back there over a towel, maybe I can turn it into another vacation.

SBETigg
12-02-2008, 12:34 PM
I used to agree with Michael that they are towels and not meant for take home. Then we got a few little rabbits that were actually hot-glued together, with glued on eyes and decoration. Clearly, these were no longer being used as towels and it made me wonder if the intention was for guests to take them home, in that case. So I'm confused on the issue and would just say to use your judgment in each circumstance.

kemps@wdw
12-02-2008, 11:28 PM
We have a shelf in our "Disney" bathroom w/all our "towels animals" on it. :D

pixiesmimi
12-03-2008, 11:45 PM
You know, I never even thought of it because we aren't ones to take towels from hotel rooms but then again we have never gotten towel animals in all of our stays. When we stayed at ASMovies with DD's family in connecting rooms, they got new animals and such every day (had two children in their room) and we got none (had two children in our room with doors open between the two room so they obviously knew we were together. I was very disappointed as I was this last time when we went for our anniversary. So after reading all of this, if they by chance leave us anything when we go next year for our anniversary, I will take at least one home.

I don't think management would tell people to take them, no matter what resort it was, if it wasn't alright for everyone to do it. Those wash cloths, bought in bulk, don't cost them but pennies each anyway.

Georgesgirl1
12-06-2008, 09:21 AM
I have never had the chance to even make the choice as to whether or not it is okay to take a towel animal home b/c in all my trips I have never once gotten a towel animal:confused:. I know we sometimes stay at places that don't offer daily housekeeping like Saratoga Springs, but even when we have stayed at WL or Pop Century we haven't gotten them!

Maybe once our LO is born and we have baby stuff in the room this will change and then I can make this ethical decision.

I agree with PP's though. If mousekeeping tells you to take it home then it is okay...otherwise no.

cindchan
12-06-2008, 08:43 PM
Nope, I never take the towels animals homes, but I do take pictures so that my friends at home can see what they looked like. ^_^

Hull-onian
12-11-2008, 02:31 PM
When we checked into our room, last time, we each had a Mickey on our beds. We took photos of them and used them for our washing and drying at the sink. On the other hand, when we stayed at the POP, we used our towel animals in the windows, so we could find our room easily. Then after much discussion, we took them home. They were twins.:cloud9: