PDA

View Full Version : Save pics @ Parks?

Gator
11-29-2008, 05:43 PM
Is there a place at the parks where you can take the pics on a digital camera card and save it to a CD or something? I have a small card with another card on order - but it might not make it in time. It seems like I've heard of this before but couldn't find a thread. Any help would be great. Just 8 more days!

CaptSmee
11-29-2008, 06:14 PM
I know for sure that you can in the Imagination lab at Epcot and at Exposition Hall in Magic Kingdom. I'm sure that there's probably place in Animal Kingodm and Hollywood Studios as well, but i've never noticed.

The aforementioned 2 have little Kodak kiosks where you can put your card in and save them to CD. I never did it because I remember it being pricey.

dmosher
11-29-2008, 11:37 PM
Yes most of the camera and customer service stations use to be able to do this, just ask at Cs when you walk in the park. It is not the cheapest method, but if your card gets full, what else can you do? It's better than not being able to take any more pics.

DW and I bring our laptop with us and lock it away in the room. Then when we arrive home each night, we unload the memory card to the laptop and it is clean and ready for the next day.
:pipes:
D

Goes4FastPass
11-30-2008, 10:30 AM
I don't know what TYPE your card is but prices have gone through the floor. EVen a local retailer especially if you're a member of something like Costco or Sams Club can be cheaper to BUY a memory card than a single card to CD transfer.

If you're now 7 days out you can still mail order. My wife uses SDHC - I just bought Kingston brand 8gb for <$20 each at newegg (http://www.newegg.com) . That's not an 'ad' just info from a satisfied customer of several years.

MickeysEars
11-30-2008, 12:13 PM
We did this at the photo shop at Epcot right under SSE. on the right as you enter the partk. We also did it at Exposition Hall, photo shop next to Tony's. The other two parks, i am not sure...hope this helps

Marymouse2003
12-01-2008, 04:59 AM
I've never done that either, but wld imagine it is available in every park. But..........to me, it's got to be cheaper to just buy another card. I picked up 8gb for under $35 @ Walmart. Like me, you have a week to go. You might want to consider picking up another card. Good luck and have an awesome trip.
God bless,
Mary

Marymouse2003
12-01-2008, 05:02 AM
I'm just thinking about my own amt. of photos. I have two 3gb cards & one 8gb. I'll be @ WDW for 7days. Do you guys think this will be enough. I have no lap top. Just bought a new desk top. What do you think guys?
Thanks and God bless,
Mary

DDuck66
12-01-2008, 10:38 AM
My DW has a 2GB and a couple of smaller ones. She is camera crazy and fills them up on a week long trip. It really depends on how you have your camera set as too how many pics you can fit on your card. I can't see us going through an 8GB card in a week unless you were doing movies. We went for 2 days this past weekend and took about 300 pics between the 2 of us.

GrumpyFan
12-01-2008, 10:42 AM
I'm just thinking about my own amt. of photos. I have two 3gb cards & one 8gb. I'll be @ WDW for 7days. Do you guys think this will be enough. I have no lap top. Just bought a new desk top. What do you think guys?
Thanks and God bless,
Mary

Hmm, never heard of a 3gb memory card, but I suppose it's possible. The number of pictures your memory card can hold, will be dependent on the number of megapixels and file size the camera uses to store them on the memory card.
Below is a reference for typical memory card storage (YMMV):

6 megapixel
2gb = 953 pictures
4gb = 1907 pictures
8gb = 3814 pictures

8 megapixel
2gb = 715 pictures
4gb = 1430 pictures
8gb = 2861 pictures

10 megapixel
2gb = 572 pictures
4gb = 1144 pictures
8gb = 2288 pictures

So, as you see, it varies a fair amount based on the megapixels. I think the most pictures we ever took on one camera over a 7 day trip, was about 1500. On our last trip, we had 3 people with cameras and the combined total was somewhere around 3200 pictures. That may sound like a lot, but in reality it's not. Of those 3000+ pictures, I would say that less than 300 were actually what I would consider worth keeping. It seems that having a digital camera encourages poor photography techniques that result in a lot of sub-standard pictures.

JPL
12-01-2008, 10:58 AM
Just a word of advice when you transfer pictures to a CD using one of the stations. Thye usually downsize your pictures reducing the quality of them. I believe the Kodak stations load the files so and 8X10 is the largest print you can make from thier file. So if you are using a camera with higher MP you are losing alot of quality in the actual photo. I would suggest buying more memory cards and make sure you have enough to meet your picture taking habits and needs.

Marymouse2003
12-01-2008, 11:50 AM
Wow, I thought it was just the camera I had to learn use of, I can see there's tons of info I MUST learn. So little time & so much to do. THanks again for such good info. I'm headed to my Best Buy bag to see just what GB cards I really have. I know I do have an 8, the other two must be 4gb(I hope)
Thanks so much again!!
God bless all,
Mary

Goes4FastPass
12-01-2008, 04:41 PM
Just a word of advice when you transfer pictures to a CD using one of the stations. Thye usually downsize your pictures reducing the quality of them....

Yuckity, yuck, yuck. Then :ack:

#1donaldfan
12-01-2008, 10:28 PM
Check Staples and Radio Shack they had the SDHC cards on sale. I bought 8G at Radio Shack SanDisk brand for 19.99.

Imagineer1981
12-02-2008, 12:33 PM
Also remember that just because your camera is 8megapixels or whatever it is, you really only need to have it set at like 3 megapixels to have quality photos. The higher mega pixels are really good if you are going to print like 8x10 or 11x14 pics, but if you are putting 4x6 or 3x5 pics in an album then use a lower setting and you'll gain tons of pics on your card. If you go to your camera's manufacture site, it will tell you what setting of megapixels is for what pic size.