PDA

View Full Version : Which resort has the 'Disney Magic'?

Lightning McQueen
11-29-2008, 11:51 AM
For our honeymoon, we're stopping in Disneyland for three nights on the way back from Hawaii!!

Which resort do you think has the greatest Disney feel? Where would you recommend we stay?

Right now I'm leaning toward the Grand Californian, but I haven't ruled out the other two.

Thanks for your help!

tinkwest
11-29-2008, 02:38 PM
Most Disney oriented is the Disneyland Hotel. Grand Californian has a great lobby & relaxing balconies. You should be happy at either.

denygold
01-13-2009, 01:16 PM
We felt most in the "magic" at the Grand Californian.

BrerGnat
01-15-2009, 03:43 PM
For your honeymoon? The Grand Californian, no question.

The Disneyland hotel might feel the most "Disney", but it's a bit run down, most obviously in the ROOMS. The lobby is cool, and deserves a visit, but I can't recommend staying there.

Paradise Pier, while it's a nice hotel, has a very vague Disney feel to it. It's more akin to a nice Holiday Inn, with a Mickey Mouse lamp and some Disney art on the walls. There is no real "theme" there.

My absolute favorite, in terms of theme, service, and amenities is the Grand Californian. I love it! We'll be staying there for the third time in May.

NotaGeek
01-15-2009, 05:26 PM
The Disneyland hotel might feel the most "Disney", but it's a bit run down, most obviously in the ROOMS. The lobby is cool, and deserves a visit, but I can't recommend staying there.

Paradise Pier, while it's a nice hotel, has a very vague Disney feel to it. It's more akin to a nice Holiday Inn, with a Mickey Mouse lamp and some Disney art on the walls. There is no real "theme" there.
I am not sure how you qualify a hotel as "run down" -- but having stayed at the Disneyland hotel pretty recently I can honestly say it's not run down at all. The rooms are great -- and very Disney!

Paradise Pier is also a great option ... and I wouldn't qualify it as a Holiday Inn -- even a nice one. It's priced lower -- and to be honest, it's actually MORE Disney themed than the Grand Californian. The GC is the nicest of the 3 hotels, but it's the typical Lodge styling Disney has used in other properties.

I don't think it's fair to give any of the hotels a bad rap ... Disney does a good job keeping them nice and comfortable.

goofy89
01-15-2009, 05:36 PM
I have only ever been to Disneyland once and that was this past August. We stayed at the Disneyland Hotel and LOVED it! We did visit the other two resorts though and the Grand Californian was very very nice! I do not think you can really go wrong. My least favorite however was Paradise Pier. For a honeymoon I would probably pick the Grand Californian, but I think the Disneyland Hotel probably feels the most "Disney" :mickey:
I also did not think the Disneyland Hotel felt run down at all. Our room and the grounds were very nice and well kept.

Aisling
01-20-2009, 06:37 PM
Hmmm, tough one. We have stayed at all three and while I love the Grand Californian the most, I think the Disneyland Hotel has the most 'Disney' feel. However, if you can swing it, I'd recommend staying at the Grand Californian and in a few years if you have kids, stay at the Disneyland Hotel (they have a really fun pool for kids).

Since it's your honeymoon, splurge on yourself!

DVC2004
01-20-2009, 08:05 PM
The Disneyland Hotel has great Disney touches in the room. But, the Grand Cal is just, well, Grand and Disney. I've stayed at both several times but I think I prefer Grand Cal and for a honeymoon I would think it would be perfect!