PDA

View Full Version : digital video cameras

dumbo ears
11-29-2008, 11:08 AM
For christmas Ive asked my parents for a digital video camera but i dont know much about them. I want to use it to record rides and stuff at wdw and other stuff. I want to be able to edit it on the computer so one that is easy to do editing to would be great. So any info or suggestions anyone can give on a camera that would be good is awesome. The price range would like to be under 200

brewcrew26
11-29-2008, 12:32 PM
My brother gave me a Sony mini-DVD camcorder for my graduation in 2007. I love it! It a little over your price range -- I think it cost around $350. I could find the model number. But, it's got night vision on it and with an SD card it also serves as a digital still camera. The stills are only about 1 MB, so not as good of quality as DH's digital SLR, but I do more video anyways. It works perfectly with my FinalCut Express for my Mac with a iLink cable for quick uploads. I love it, in fact, last night I was watching my video of SpectroMagic on it. You can also attach it to a TV to watch directly from your camera.

DizneyRox
12-01-2008, 01:01 PM
Sub $200 is going to be a tough one. Anything worth it's salt will cost more than that.

But, in that price range, you're probably looking for a standard definition miniDV camcorder. You might be able to pick up something on eBay new/used that is decent quality, etc.

If you're really looking to edit, you want to stay away from the mini DVD camcorders. The video is compressed already, so editing that will further degrade the quality of the video. The solid state and hard drive based recorders are out of your price range, so we don't even need to discuss those.

I prefer the Canon brands, I have an older Canon Elura 90 that still takes great video, but I needed to upgrade to HD recently. I've outgrown SD capabilities for my projects.