PDA

View Full Version : Most overrated musician

pink
11-29-2008, 10:17 AM
We already has some fun threads on overrated actors.

Thoughts anybody?:mickey:

SBETigg
11-29-2008, 10:54 AM
John Mayer.
Coldplay.
Fergie.
Beyonce.
Natasha Bedingfield.

PirateLover
11-30-2008, 11:00 AM
Off the top of my head- Leona Lewis

eeyorelover63
11-30-2008, 11:50 AM
dont care who gets mad at me for this one.... its true......

Jonas Brothers

MNNHFLTX
11-30-2008, 12:43 PM
Immediately at the top of my list would be Miley Cyrus. I've heard she puts on a good show, but her voice is nothing special, IMHO.

eeyorelover63
11-30-2008, 01:19 PM
Immediately at the top of my list would be Miley Cyrus. I've heard she puts on a good show, but her voice is nothing special, IMHO.

very true i forgot her!!!

Ian
11-30-2008, 03:29 PM
For me it's no contest. Madonna. I can't for the life of me fathom what makes people so interested in her.

Her music is nothing more than glorified bubble gum pop and her personality is as skanky as they come.

You couldn't pay me to listen to one of her CD's and you couldn't drag me at gunpoint to one of her concerts.

:ack:

Melanie
11-30-2008, 03:34 PM
In my opinion, definitely Bruce Springsteen.

kakn7294
11-30-2008, 03:40 PM
In my opinion, definitely Bruce Springsteen.Mel, I totally agree with you! I can't stand him!

RAIDER
11-30-2008, 04:54 PM
A few spring to mind

Britney Spears ( one hit wonder )
Bob Dylan ( i suppose you had to be there and has annoying voice like nails on a chalkboard :confused: )
Puff Daddy ( one hit wonder )
Jay Z ( hasnt even had a hit and so repatative :ack: )
Joss Stone ( an idiot and on behalf of the UK i apolgise :D )
Spice Girls ( very annoying especially Posh Spice who cant sing :ack: :ack: same comment as Joss Stone :D)

Hair_Razor
11-30-2008, 05:16 PM
As far as Bob Dylan is concerned the "rating" as it were is not based on his singing as much as his songwriting ability. What's to over rate there?
And I'm embarrassed to say that I am a P Diddy fan and by the way one hit wonder is completely inaccurate. You can dislike him if you want, but a one hit wonder he is not. It seems like maybe you just don't listen to the stations that play him. Same with Brittany, not a fan but one hit wonder???

Ok so for my overrated, and I know I'm gonna hear it, is Beyonce. YUK!!:ack: Little mad that she is playing Etta James in Cadillac Records.

RAIDER
11-30-2008, 05:35 PM
As far as Bob Dylan is concerned the "rating" as it were is not based on his singing as much as his songwriting ability. What's to over rate there?
And I'm embarrassed to say that I am a P Diddy fan and by the way one hit wonder is completely inaccurate. You can dislike him if you want, but a one hit wonder he is not. It seems like maybe you just don't listen to the stations that play him. Same with Brittany, not a fan but one hit wonder???

Ok so for my overrated, and I know I'm gonna hear it, is Beyonce. YUK!!:ack: Little mad that she is playing Etta James in Cadillac Records.

I know Dylan is regarded as an icon and living legend in some quarters but ive never seen what the fuss is about and sorry i find his songs very boring ...:sleepin:
P Diddy has only had one hit in UK and that was his brilliant version ( sample ) of Every Breath you take ...But i dont think he really made it after that here so its hard to see what all te hype is about :confused:

I am shocked about people not like liking Springsteen as i think he is te best live act i have ever seen .....
But its all about personal opinions and one has to accept and respect that :thumbsup:

PirateLover
11-30-2008, 09:13 PM
I was a so so Springsteen fan until I saw him live. Definitely at the top of my list. I'm not a rabid fan but he puts on a heckuva stadium show.

I think this thread and the responses will show that taste in music is a much more personal thing than our favorite actors.

I do not like all of Beyonce's songs and I think she is quite full of herself, but overall I think she is a good song writer and I think her voice is very powerful.

Madonna, well, I liked her 80s stuff a lot better and I still dance to that. She is definitely pop, but not always bubble gum. She was/is always pushing the edge. I never got why so many people idolize her to the extent that they do though and I find her to be very hypocritical sometimes.

Miley Cyrus is one I too don't get, but I've never watched Hannah Montana. But her voice has no range. Was it last year when they had her attempt to sing Mariah Carey's "All I Want For Christmas" for the parade? Oh it was terrible! But sometimes it's all about the packaging.

As far as Bob Dylan goes, I like some of his classics such as Tangled up In Blue, Like A Rolling Stone, The Times They Are A Changing etc but critics just fawn all over this dude. He could make a record of himself burping and it would get all kinds of praise. So yes, over rated in my opinion.

One more band that I thought of is Nirvana. I'm still sort of a fan but I was at one point in time a grunge kid who thought Kurt Cobain was god. However, for me, they haven't stood the test of time as well as some of the other bands from that era (I still listen to Alice in Chains fairly regularly) and if one more countdown ranks "Smells Like Teen Spirit" as the #1 video of all time I'll go nuts. Well, not really, but I don't think it deserves such lofty praise.

alphamommy
12-01-2008, 09:08 AM
I totally agree that Dylan is a great song writer, but I can't stand his singing voice, especially as he's aged.

I'm glad someone else mentioned Nirvana. DH and I have had this debate several times. I just don't get where they were so cutting edge. They were okay, but I preferred Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, etc.

I'll toss a controversial log on this fire: Elvis Presley. No, I wasn't there at the time when he was huge, but I don't think I would have been screaming and fainting over him. Some of his songs are alright, but he nver really impressed me.

Jeff G
12-01-2008, 10:48 AM
I'm probably going to get grilled for this but here we go.

- U2 post 1990. The Joshua Tree is one of my all time favorite albums and I also liked their less known albums War, Under A Blood Red Sky and The Unforgettable Fire. But since Joshua Tree they have been very average. I've been disappointed with their music since (I don't hate it it's just very average) and yet over the last decade they are more revered than ever.

- The Jonas Bothers. My daughter likes to listen to them so I've heard more than I care to.

- Cher. A legend I don't get.

TinkerbellT421
12-01-2008, 11:16 AM
-Miley Cyrus (Sorry, just dont get it)
-Jonas Brothers (sorry again)
-Cher-Dont get me started lol
-Madonna-annoys me to no end
-Beyonce-eh not my cup of tea
-Natasha Beddingfield-omg I hate her songs in general
-AMY WINEHOUSE!!!!!!!! (OMG HORRIBLE!)
-Fergie
-Black Eyed Peas ^Hence Fergie
-Ashlee Simpson :sick:
-Prince :ack: I like maybe 3 songs lol....legend or not, I just dont get him
And I am sure I could think of sooooooo many more lol

RAIDER
12-01-2008, 11:37 AM
I whole heartedly agree with the demise of U2 since the Unforgettable Fire / Joshua Tree

and Amy Winehouse

I would like to add further

George Michael ( how he has survived i will never work out )

Mariah Carey ( i just dont think her songs are that special :confused: )

and

John Legend ( yeah i bet thats his real surname )

kakn7294
12-01-2008, 12:16 PM
You know, I don't really like anyone who's been mentioned so far with the exception of Miley Cyrus - I can tolerate her for a few songs. It all simply comes down to musical tastes and none of these people suit mine (which is weird anyway!).

Davyjones
12-01-2008, 01:58 PM
For me it's no contest. Madonna. I can't for the life of me fathom what makes people so interested in her.

Her music is nothing more than glorified bubble gum pop and her personality is as skanky as they come.

You couldn't pay me to listen to one of her CD's and you couldn't drag me at gunpoint to one of her concerts.

:ack:

Add another vote for Madonna. I just don't get her music, I guess.

Celine Dion also tops my list. Can't really stand her.

The Reservoir Dog
12-01-2008, 02:02 PM
Great topic :thumbsup:

Coming from across the pond I've seen alot of hype concerning The Jonas Brothers. I have reserved judgement until I heard & seen for myself and having just returned from the US I can now say that these guys are terrible. They can't even mime properly and please whichever one of thinks he's Pete Townshend, Please Stop!

As for Miley Cyrus..... actually i'm not going to give her any more coverage.

Yes it's all a matter of taste and personal opinion, that's what makes this so interesting.
I will always defend Mr Springsteen. He is my hero but yes there are people out there who don't like him but I'll have to live with that.

As for Bob Dylan, yes his voice can be annoying but I think he has written some excellent songs but he's probably one artist that sounds better when other people cover his songs.

Beyonce. Yes great to look at but quite frankly I find her music awful.

Amy Winehouse to me is the most overated current artist. Awful to hear and in her current state even worse to look at. She is the classic example of someone with "celebrity" status who should have been locked up but will always get away with it.

Another current artist is Duffy. Labelled the new Dusty Springfield. My cat sounds better with a tight collar. Ms Springfield must be turning in her grave.

I would also like to add Robbie Williams. It's all gone quiet on that front thankfully but most of his songs are just ridiculous.

Then there's the Divas of self importance. Celine Dion & Miriah Carey come to mind.

Joss Stone. a national embarressment.

Spice Girls. should never have happened in the first place.

U2. agree that since the 90's they have been very poor.

PirateLover
12-01-2008, 04:59 PM
I am a huge fan of Amy Winehouse's "Back to Black" album. I like her voice and her songwriting. However she is a terrible live performer and what she's turned herself into is beyond disgraceful, it's disgusting. I really can't believe she isn't dead yet.

Mariah Carey had a lot of cheesy songs but I think her voice used to be stunning.

MNNHFLTX
12-01-2008, 05:01 PM
Another current artist is Duffy. Labelled the new Dusty Springfield. My cat sounds better with a tight collar. Ms Springfield must be turning in her grave.

Isn't she the one that sings that song "Mercy"? The song itself is catchy, but I do think she sounds a bit screechy (for lack of a better word).

Disneyatic
12-02-2008, 09:57 PM
I will agree that music taste is totally subjective but I just can't help myself and have to say
"ELVIS, overrated??? NO WAY" !!
Okay, now I am okay.
I will say that I think that Elvis' charisma and presence were a huge part of what made him an icon. I wasn't alive when he was, but after some friends and I happened to visit Graceland on a whim and I learned a bit about him, I really fell in love with him and have been a huge fan for over 10 years now. He was a great soul and was really cramped by the atmoshphere he was in.

My #1 would be Mariah Carey, even if her voice is good, she cheapens herself by only wearing postage stamps.
I also don't like Beyonce, she has a great voice, but loves herself so much and overdoes it, so it spoils it for me.
P Diddy, Puff Daddy, Sean Combs....whatever his name is, BU-BYE, he is way overrated.

I do kinda like Miley though, she has some catchy tunes :blush:

Altair
12-03-2008, 06:50 AM
Anyone who has to lip-synch live performances is over-rated.:ack:

CanadianWDWFan
12-03-2008, 08:57 AM
Bono and U2. Their egos are what make me sick. Plus the fact that I can't listen to a single song that they have written.

elmjimmlm
12-03-2008, 09:44 AM
Bruce Springsteen...Never liked him...Never will...

TheDuckRocks
12-03-2008, 12:40 PM
On the topic of over rated musicans I could have a list a mile long.
But to me the most over reated, worst ever has got to be:
Bob Dylan :ack::ack:
And if you want to defend him as a song writer you need to hear Seals new recording of The Times They Are a Changing and I would agree with you. But please, please don't make me listen to Bob Dylan. Again :ack::ack:

Mousefever
12-03-2008, 02:05 PM
I don't have a strong opinion about Bob Dylan either way. Certainly his singing voice is terrible, but it is fun to imitate while singing other songs.

I think that those of us (me included) who didn't live through the 60s will never truly appreciate Bob Dylan. He was ground breaking in his time. He captured a lot of the upheaval of the time while helping to create it. Those of us who look through modern eyes at Dylan will never have that feeling that he has captured our experience in his music.

That being said, I don't see myself buying his music. I just appreciate him as an historical figure.

Amy

pink
12-03-2008, 06:35 PM
I agree with:
Fergie (she can't sing, her voice is digitally remade in the songs)
Jonas Brothers
P. Diddy

Ok so for my overrated, and I know I'm gonna hear it, is Beyonce. YUK!! Little mad that she is playing Etta James in Cadillac Records.

I agree with you. The only reason she got that part is because she is one of the main producers. She is desperately trying to win herself an Oscar. I guess loosing to an American Idol reject didn't feel too good. :mickey:

pixiesmimi
12-03-2008, 08:48 PM
I agree on all posted except Elvis. Having lived during his era, he was fantastic! Now that said, that was before he got fat and out of control. I started to say before he started acting like a spoiled rich kid but he always acted like that. But it didn't diminish his talent in belting out love songs. We all swooned over him. I still love to listen to his music.

Marker
12-03-2008, 09:14 PM
"overrated musician", for me that's a tough one. Overrated based on what? The ability to sell records? The ability to make people happy? The ability to write music? The ability to play music? The ability to sing music?

The answers so far strike me more as "who do you not like" rather than a real rating based on talent or ability. Simply because someone does not like the music of Bob Dylan, does not mean he's not a talented song writer.

Many of those listed as overrated musicians, are not actually musicians at all, they're singers (there is a difference), many are not really even singers but performers or entertainers. Bands have also been listed, and that doesn't make sense either, a band is not a musician.

If the criteria for being overrated was simply what I like and dislike... then most all hip-hop, country, and opera performers would definitely be "out". On the other hand, I find Weird Al Yankovic to be entertaining, so he's "in". And who doesn't smile a little at Kermit The Frog singing Rainbow Connection, so while successful, I wouldn't consider it Kermit (or Jim Henson) a "musician", overrated or otherwise.

So, "overrated", I just don't feel qualified to determine that declaration.

Now then, popular acts that just don't do it for ME....

Prince,
Coldplay,
most anything country,
most anything hip-hop,
anything opera,
hard rock screamers

That's a few anyway. But that's just my opinion, which by no means indicates that these folks aren't talented, aren't popular, or aren't very fine musicians. I just don't care for them

I know, I'm rambling and over analyzing. And yes, I know what was meant, just having some fun. Relax and have a chuckle, or just ignore it. But don't take it too seriously.

PirateLover
12-03-2008, 09:22 PM
Many of those listed as overrated musicians, are not actually musicians at all, they're singers (there is a difference), many are not really even singers but performers or entertainers. Bands have also been listed, and that doesn't make sense either, a band is not a musician.

I know, I'm rambling and over analyzing.

yup. And a band is a group of musicians, so under your narrow parameters I think they squeeze by ;)

Diznee4Me
12-05-2008, 10:55 AM
Madonna - first thought to pop in my head when I read the topic title. Don't like, never have, don't see the appeal in her as a person or personality.

SurferStitch
12-05-2008, 01:15 PM
In my opinion, definitely Bruce Springsteen.

OMG!! I thought I would be the only one mentioning him! Thank you.

Also:

Madonna
Miley Cyrus
Britney Spears

I wouldn't get too uptight about what "overrated" means. Bruce is considered an icon, but really, I find his music boring, and his voice grating. To me, that's overrated IMO.

Pagan
12-16-2008, 04:46 PM
Maybe it's just me, but as a musician it makes my skin crawl to read people like Madonna, Miley Cyrus, P Diddy, Britney Spears, etc. etc. being referred to as "musicians".

I know, I know...I'm being technical , but none of them actually play an instrument, so you can't call them "musicians".

As for overrated musicians...the Grateful Dead, bar none. It's like the old joke...what did one Grateful Dead fan say to the other when they both sobered up?

"Hey man, these guys STINK!" :)

Ian
12-16-2008, 05:07 PM
- U2 post 1990. The Joshua Tree is one of my all time favorite albums and I also liked their less known albums War, Under A Blood Red Sky and The Unforgettable Fire. But since Joshua Tree they have been very average. I've been disappointed with their music since (I don't hate it it's just very average) and yet over the last decade they are more revered than ever.Hmmm ... I mean if you had said that between Achtung and All That You Can't Leave Behind they were very average, I'd have to agree. But I think you're really underestimating All That You Can't Leave Behind and How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb.

I'm going to ask this not to be snotty, but because I did the same thing and ended up regretting it ... did you kind of dismiss them after they whole "Lemon" thing and not really bother with the two most recent albums? Because I did ... I just assumed they stunk anymore and basically ignored them. But my good friend finally talked me in to listening to How to Dismantle, and I have to say ... it might be their best album. And All That You Can't Leave Behind is absolutely as good. I would say both rival the Joshua Tree.

And this is coming from an absolute die hard early U2 fan.

Unless you've really given both albums a good listen, you're cheating yourself out of some amazing music.

- Cher. A legend I don't get.Now that I agree with.

I whole heartedly agree with the demise of U2 since the Unforgettable Fire / Joshua TreeSee above.

Bono and U2. Their egos are what make me sick. Plus the fact that I can't listen to a single song that they have written.Huh. I mean ... I'm not trying to pick a fight or anything, but U2? Egos??

No. Bono is perhaps the least egomaniacal of anyone of his stature in the world. And the rest of the band?? Egos?? Hardly anyone even knows who they are.

If you don't like the music that's fine, but saying they have egos ... that's kind of ridiculous because it's simply untrue.

Lakin
11-11-2009, 07:56 PM
Katy Perry - Have you heard her live? Absolutely horrible! She doesn't hit ONE note!

1DisneyNut
11-11-2009, 09:27 PM
Jonas Brothers (Absolutely painful to listen to)
Miley Cirus (Terrible...If her father wasn't already in the business, she would have never made it)
P. Diddy (The fact that he constantly rebrands himself by changing names should speak for the lack of talent)
Jay-Z (How on earth did this guy ever get a contract)
Beyonce (Screaming, whining, moaning, annoying garbage. Every song sounds practically the same to me and enough already)

I will throw another one in the mix.
Alicia Keys (Same as Beyonce. Every song sounds the same. All in the same key with no range and it drives me up the wall).

Now for a couple that have been mentioned that I must disagree with. Elvis? I'm not a fan but he had a huge impact on music that is still present today. You still hear his songs on the radio. He had a large presence on stage and was one of the best at performing for an audience.
Another would be Mariah Carey. She has a range that is unrivaled. The notes in her songs that sound like an extremely high whistle are actually her singing the notes which are something like an F7# which is just amazing. Go download some of her live performances and watch/listen.

Phantod
11-12-2009, 12:08 AM
The Beastie Boys. Never got it, never will.

Is this blasphemy? Aerosmith. A couple of decent songs, but not worth the hype.

Guns & Roses, Van Halen, KISS, any hard rockers....just too much noise.

All rap artists...an insult to music as a whole.

Garth Brooks.....why?

What has 100 teeth and 50 legs?

The front row at a Garth Brooks concert.

That's why.

Am I dating myself?

Let the flames begin.

Greenlawler
11-12-2009, 01:18 AM
Well In know this response will not be popular but here goes anyways....

Def Leopard: "Pour Some Suger On Me"....really?

I agree with the previous poster on Aerosmith: Far too much credit for a band that really went downhill after the 70's. Most of their 90's power ballad hits sounded exactly the same.

Poison: :ack::ack::ack::ack:

As you can tell I am not a hair metal fan. I find it as abhoring as the country music Nashville has been pumping out since the late 80's. They are so similar. Find a nifty catchphrase repeat it over and over, and cash in.

As for rap, are any rappers really over rated?

As for the slam on Garth Brooks fans, although I dislike him, as a Nashvillian I do not care for stereotypes like this. I know some wonderful full of teeth people who are misguided :) enough to like him.

Madonna gets another vote here, I love how America clings to their pop icons like her and Brittany who can revive their trashy bubblegum careers in the name of reinventing themselves.

I would argue against Bruce Sprinstien's inclusion. "Nebraska" and "The Ghost of Tom Joad" are as gritty and real as it gets. Sure if you only dislike Bruce becuase of his politics and his "Born In the USA" album, you can label him, but you are missing some deeply moving work.

I must admit it really boils down to individual taste, and the Grateful Dead well I never took an illegal drug in my life but I was a solid Dead fan way back when.

sportsguy2315
11-12-2009, 02:14 AM
Hmmm ... I mean if you had said that between Achtung and All That You Can't Leave Behind they were very average, I'd have to agree. But I think you're really underestimating All That You Can't Leave Behind and How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb.

Unless you've really given both albums a good listen, you're cheating yourself out of some amazing music.

I agree with everything you said about U2 Ian. Actually, All That You Can't Leave Behind was my introduction to U2, then I got into their 80's material...WOW!!! Atomic Bomb was also really, really good (This generation's Joshua Tree for them IMO and a good argument for album of the decade), but I'm not entirely sold on No Line on the Horizon outside of a couple tracks, yet I was up til 1 AM watching the Rose Bowl concert live. As for the post-1990 comment, I'll compromise by saying between post-Achtung Baby (Released November of 91) and pre-All You Can't Leave Behind (Released October 00) I think U2 went astray. I don't like a lot of the stuff they put out during that 9 year period or so with the exception of a couple songs here and there.

I'm also not from Dylan's generation, but I had the opportunity in high school to take a week long course looking at Bob Dylan's work as a songwriter. Given the time and place for who he was writing for, he made a lot of sense with his lyrics, but you can't always understand Dylan when he sings them yet his songs still resonate today.

I'll toss a bone out: The Beatles. Don't get me wrong, I think they're all good musicians, it's just that I think their solo works are more noticeable to me than the work they did together.

i'm grumpy
11-12-2009, 07:50 AM
There are many. Have to agree with Madonna and Miley. Please don't throw tomatoes but my first thought was Taylor Swift. I just don't get it.

Tygger7
11-12-2009, 09:29 AM
First, I would define an "overrated musician/artist" as any artist or group that the media loves to the point of worship...these artists/musicians can do nothing wrong in the eyes of the media industry, and they are elevated way beyond their level of talent. My DH is a musician (guitarist), and was in bands that landed record deals, so I carry certain styles close to my heart. What impresses me are bands/musicians that can blow me away live, and have a "beyond average" gift or talent. For example, I've seen a LOT of bands in my time...from small "bar" bands, to arena bands, but hands down, Nickelback puts on one of the best live shows ever....Foo Fighters are fantastic musicians,...Steve Vai is an amazingly talented and gifted musician...Tommy Lee is an incredible drummer..., Brad Paisley...has to be one of the best guitarists in any type of music, ....you get the point.

That being said, my list would be:
The White Stripes (...can't for the life of me figure out what the big deal is...)
Bob Dylan (Hyped for the sake of being hyped...the guy CAN NOT sing.)
Amy Winehouse (..not even worth a comment)
Miley Cyrus (..would NEVER have gotten a record deal on the merits of her talent)
Bruce Springsteen (he can grunt, but I don't call that singing)
Nirvana (except for Dave Grohl...Dave is amazing)
Elivs (mostly because my MiL & BiL worship Elvis and think he is the greatest musician of all time...and they drive me insane about it)

Personally, I don't care for rap music at all, but there are performers that are extremely good at what they do....I just can't listen to it long enough to determine who's good and who's not.

Interesting topic, and to read everyone's definitions and preferences.

Phantod
11-12-2009, 12:00 PM
I'll toss a bone out: The Beatles. Don't get me wrong, I think they're all good musicians, it's just that I think their solo works are more noticeable to me than the work they did together.

Oh, now you're just being silly. There's no way you can compare their solo work to the quantity of phenomenal music they put out as a group. Sure I like a lot of Paul's solo work (in particular with Wings), but Ringo or George (save for the Travelin' Wilburys), come on. John's wasn't all that impressive.

The Beatles changed the face of music on the entire planet during the 60's and that continues today....just look at the sales of Beatles Rock Band. A whole new generation of people are coming to love them.

This from a follower of them in the 60's while i was in high school....

diz_girl
11-12-2009, 03:12 PM

I was thinking the same thing, so I just thought that this thread became a "most overrated recording artist" one.

So here are my:twocents:

Most overrated singer - Mariah Carey - Yes, she has a whatever octave range, but she whispers her songs, she doesn't sing them. And she butchers Christmas songs. IMHO - Christina Aguilera leaves Mariah in the dust. I saw Christina Aguilera performing on TV with the Rolling Stones a while back and DH asked who it was and said her name. He said, "Wow, she really is good". And he hates pop.

Most overrated singer, part 2 - Taylor Swift. OK voice, that's about it. I thought that the songs were catchy, but banal. The accompanying music sounds dated, as does her singing style, by about 10-15 years.

Most overrated musician - Bruce Springsteen. Springsteen may be a good lyricist and excellent live performer, but he's a so-so guitarist and a horrible singer. Seeing him pop in at a John Fogerty concert showed how lacking his talent is as compared to Fogerty's. On a side note, he and Bob Seeger tie for the "most depressing music" award.

Most overrated I don't know what - Lady Gaga - Odd outfits, that's about it.

Another pp mentioned Robbie Williams. Yes, he was overrated, but I did like his work on the Bridget Jones's Diary movie soundtrack.

A pp mentioned Kurt Cobain being overrated. So true. Soundgarden is so much better, as is Rage Against the Machine.

Rhetoric2000
11-12-2009, 06:04 PM
Like others have mentioned "Overrated" is a rather difficult one to judge. Does anybody relevant really "rate" Britney or Miley Syrus - do we really hold them to the standards of a "musician" anyway?

I'll pick people who are clearly "rated" by history and have reputations as musicians.

- Madonna. As others have said.

- Nirvana. Being moody/serious has a tendency towards overratedness I've noticed. Nirvana are fine. Just nothing special.

- John Lennon as a solo artist. But certainly not within the Beatles.

- While their music is HUGELY influential and their place in rock history permanent, I really don't think Led Zep hold up to modern scrutiny on their own terms as musicians - rather like Gone With the Wind.

Lakin
11-15-2009, 09:33 PM
Please don't throw tomatoes but my first thought was Taylor Swift. I just don't get it.

It's OK, no tomatoes here. I agree, She is overrated. I do think that's she's a pretty good singer and guitar player, but I don't think she's worth all the hype.

LauraleeH
11-15-2009, 10:03 PM
Please don't throw tomatoes but my first thought was Taylor Swift. I just don't get it.
*drops tomato* Since you said please... ;)
Taylor is my absolute favorite, but everyone has different tastes and opinions! :)

I think the majority of entertainers are overrated, to be honest. One I'll never get is Miley Cyrus. But hey, the kids seem to like her, so good for them!

alex61821
12-17-2009, 04:44 PM
you guys missed the biggest one of all time...Michael Bolton. worst ever. if Michael Bolton and Kenny G do a concert tour together the opening band should be the 4 horseman of the apocalypse since it would be the end of the world.

Dragongirlx
12-18-2009, 04:31 AM
for me its anyone who comes out of shows like Pop Idol, American idol and UK's got talent. This mass market generated pop is just the worst I miss real bands who played their instruments and sang live. Ok the songs are sometimes good and can be catcy but they all sound the same.

The Reservoir Dog
12-18-2009, 04:32 AM
you guys missed the biggest one of all time...Michael Bolton. worst ever. if Michael Bolton and Kenny G do a concert tour together the opening band should be the 4 horseman of the apocalypse since it would be the end of the world.

:funny:

The Reservoir Dog
12-18-2009, 04:33 AM
for me its anyone who comes out of shows like Pop Idol, American idol and UK's got talent. This mass market generated pop is just the worst I miss real bands who played their instruments and sang live. Ok the songs are sometimes good and can be catcy but they all sound the same.

Totally agree. :thumbsup:

DVC2004
12-18-2009, 06:26 PM
I would agree with alot of these but especially Mariah Carey. I can't stand when she throws that shrill octave into each and every song and then whispers the rest. Never liked her, never will. I heard her remake of "I Wanna Know What Love Is" and boy was it awful. :sick: Please, no more.

I don't know if I am a fan of any particular artist in the singular sense- but I do love The White Stripes. It always amazes me that only 2 people can make all that music.

ibrowse17
12-18-2009, 11:26 PM
Just my humble opinion here, but anyone that has been on American Idol.

Jen0610
12-21-2009, 02:17 PM
I know I am going late to the discussion, but these would come from both DH and I:

U2
Celine Dion
Barbra Streisand
Dolly Parton
Madonna
Barry Manilow

Now, this is not to say that there aren't songs by each of these that we like, but for the Iconic status that they have, we just don't agree.

Granny Jill A
12-22-2009, 10:38 AM
Maybe it's just me, but as a musician it makes my skin crawl to read people like Madonna, Miley Cyrus, P Diddy, Britney Spears, etc. etc. being referred to as "musicians".

You are SO right. They are NOT musicians, they are "performers".

My vote for no-talent singer goes to Cher, with Madonna a close second.

pink
01-04-2010, 08:03 PM
WOW, I can't believe how old my thread is and it is still going!

Originally Posted by Pagan

You are SO right. They are NOT musicians, they are "performers".

My vote for no-talent singer goes to Cher, with Madonna a close second.

I agree. I listened to an old audio of Britney Spears singing when she was about 9 and her voice is average. It is all about the performance for those girls listed. As for P.Diddy, when was the last time he even had a song? :confused: The only thing he is famous for these days is reality TV shows and "the white party".

handmaidenofprincesses
01-04-2010, 10:32 PM
Anyone who has to lip-synch live performances is over-rated.:ack:

idk to what you're referring, but, FYI, things like (televised) parades, the anthem at sporting events, etc. etc. are ALL dubbed. It's a rule within the industry to make sure the music is heard over crowd noise/ flyovers/ whatever.

Katy Perry - Have you heard her live? Absolutely horrible! She doesn't hit ONE note!

Ugh she drives me nuts! I turn the channel on the radio everytime she comes on!

Many of those listed as overrated musicians, are not actually musicians at all, they're singers (there is a difference), many are not really even singers but performers or entertainers.

Pardon me if I have a minor freak-out-on-you moment here, but.. as a classically trained singer I sort of take issue with the whole "singers are not musicians" comment. :soapbox: Singers may not be instrumentalists, and I agree that many of the singers listed in this thread could hardly be considered musicians. But I didn't spend the last several semesters struggling through music theory workbooks,memorizing chord inversion rules and the circle of fifths to be told as I singer I'm not a "real musician" (which I get a lot) Okay, so I'm done now. Sorry, had to get that out of my system!:blush: lol.

Anyway, the artists who makes my "overrated list" are Miley Cyrus (not only is her voice lacking, no one whose fanbase consists of kids should be able to make that much money per ticket!!), Lady Gaga (don't get me started), and Amy Winehouse.

Also, someone else mentioned Robbie Williams... I'm from the USA, so the only time I hear about him is when I listen to BBC radio online (a more and more frequent occurrence I have to admit- you Brits are lucky, you have better music! ;) ) so I don't know if he's overrated, but I will say he does come across as quite strange...

Pagan
01-05-2010, 10:35 AM
idk to what you're referring, but, FYI, things like (televised) parades, the anthem at sporting events, etc. etc. are ALL dubbed. It's a rule within the industry to make sure the music is heard over crowd noise/ flyovers/ whatever.
This isn't true. It may be for prepackaged performers like Miley Cirus and the lot, but when rock bands play they are live.

Prince, Bruce Springsteen, KISS, Aerosmith, Paul McCartney and the Rolling Stones all performed LIVE at the Super Bowl...no lip synching.

Evil Genius
01-05-2010, 11:02 AM
This isn't true. It may be for prepackaged performers like Miley Cirus and the lot, but when rock bands play they are live.

Prince, Bruce Springsteen, KISS, Aerosmith, Paul McCartney and the Rolling Stones all performed LIVE at the Super Bowl...no lip synching.

At the Superbowl yes. But the difference between a venue and event like that besides say a moving parade or other pre-taped events is that for Superbowls the audio mix and technical set up is so expensive and sophisticated that they are able to pull it off.

But take for example the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade...there are legit artists often used and the sound are vocals are always pre-taped and mixed.

Pagan
01-05-2010, 11:41 AM
At the Superbowl yes. But the difference between a venue and event like that besides say a moving parade or other pre-taped events is that for Superbowls the audio mix and technical set up is so expensive and sophisticated that they are able to pull it off.

But take for example the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade...there are legit artists often used and the sound are vocals are always pre-taped and mixed.
True...and that is why rock bands don't appear in parades. ;)

Evil Genius
01-05-2010, 03:44 PM
True, but you do get artists like Donna Summer and Andre Bocelli two examples of singers who I would place among anyone calling themself an "artist" or "musician".