PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Iternet Connection, Please help

DizneyFreak2002
11-28-2008, 11:11 PM
My father recently retired from his job, and as a thank you gift, his company gave him a Dell laptop... For Christmas, my brother and I want to get him the equipment he needs to connect to the internet... My brother and I connect via broadband through our cable company.. However, my father wants to go wi-fi... Can someone out there please tell me what exactly I need to get in order to get my father's laptop computer going with wi-fi internet access???

I know this may sound like a stupid question, but I am so not wi-fi adveanced LOL..

P.S. if you can tell me what companies make the best wi-fi equipment that would be even better...

Strmchsr
11-29-2008, 07:51 AM
He would first of all need a broadband connection in his home. Second, you would need a wireless router. Linksys is the company I prefer for these. Now, if his laptop is already wireless ready (and, if it's a newer model it probably is) then that's all you need. If it isn't wireless ready you'll also need a wi-fi card for the laptop. Follow the instructions to hook up the router to your broadband connection, set up your WEP key security code (very important unless you want to share your connection with the whole neighborhood or anyone who happens to be driving by),set up the connection with security code on the laptop and you're set.

ElenitaB
11-29-2008, 08:56 AM
You may not even have to buy a separate WiFi router. We have a cable router/WiFi modem through our cable company. Call his cable provider to see what they offer and which works out to be more cost-effective.

If you do decide to buy a WiFi router for him, I concur with Chris: Linksys is the way to go. I got my "recommendation" from the firm I work for... an extremely security-conscious Big Four accounting firm. They tested many brands of equipment and decided which was the best equipment for employees to have at home when connecting to our VPN. And yes, you want to make sure to enable security protection on it.

beksy
11-30-2008, 08:49 PM
I was able to sit one up for Mom and then one at my new apartment when I moved to school and I am terrible with that kind of stuff! Once you get the equipment the rest will be a breeze...just follow the directions.

DizneyRox
12-01-2008, 01:27 PM
Follow the instructions to hook up the router to your broadband connection, set up your WEP key security code (very important unless you want to share your connection with the whole neighborhood or anyone who happens to be driving by),set up the connection with security code on the laptop and you're set.
Please don't use WEP. The only thing less secure is an unsecured connection. WPA2 is the newest MINIMUM I would recommend for securing a wireless network.

WEP can be broken in a matter of minutes by ANYONE with a laptop with a CD-ROM, WPA is pretty close behind, but exponentially better than WEP. WPA2 is yet to be broken.

comicguy
12-01-2008, 09:09 PM
I agree linksys is the way to go. very easy install.