PDA

View Full Version : crowds week of turkey day

DestinationWDW
11-28-2008, 04:17 PM
:secret: We are looking to go to World week of Thanksgiving 2009.......how were the crowds? Our other options would be the week of or week after Christmas which would be more points for us....(we are DVCer's). Which week would you choose? Are the Christmas decorations up Thanksgiving week? Thanks to our Intercot friends in advance! :mickey:

faline
11-28-2008, 05:26 PM
Crowds are quite high during Thanksgiving week - particularly Thursday through Sunday. If your other choice is the week between Christmas and New Year, though, I'd stick with Thanksgiving.

JoDisney
11-28-2008, 06:18 PM
I believe DestinationWDW was also looking for guests that were at Disney World this Thanksgiving of 2008. I am interested, too. How were the crowds this Thanksgiving? I am curious given the economy.

SCbelle
11-29-2008, 11:51 AM
We just returned last night after Mon-Wed in the parks. Crowds were large but not horrible. As I have not been in WDW since the late 80's it is hard for me to judge. The longest line we were in was to meet the Fairies in Toontown, that took about an hour. Everything else was 15-30 minutes. We even got into POTC in less than 20 on Tues. AK was a bit overwhelming on Wed, but that may be normal due to the narrower walkways, I had not been there before.

We had a great time overall. Only did MK, AK, and Epcot due to time constraints.

:mickey:

DDuck66
12-01-2008, 10:51 AM
We just got back from the World on Sunday. We spent Friday at the MK and Saturday at DTD and Epcot. While the parks were crowded, it was not as bad as I had feared. We were staying off property for a change and never had a problem with parking. We got to ride several attractions both days which was a pleasent surprise. I did not expect to be able to get on anything. We walked onto Philarharmagic with no wait, and the HM might have been 5 minutes. Some of the other rides were 20 to 30 minutes long. I am going back to DHS this coming weekend so I will be able to compare the two times. All in all, I would go again during this time.

dmewd
12-01-2008, 01:00 PM
We just returned last night also. We went to Magic Kingdom on Thursday, Epcot on Friday, and Studios on Saturday. The parks were full, but it was not really as bad as I thought it might be. Just be prepared. The big ones - Soarin, Toy Story Mania, RNRC, all run out of fast passes early and have a standy of 1-2 hours typically. Even if you you have to wait the time usually passes pretty quickly, YOU'RE IN DISNEY WORLD! :thumbsup: The line for Tinkerbell was 90 mins and when we got there, she was not even there. :( But we were able to go back right before closing and a CM confirmed she was there, so we got to meet here after only about an hour wait. Candlelight Processional and Illuminations were great, a definite must do! Osbourne FOL was also great and not nearly as crowded Saturday night as I anticipated. It was kinda unusual walking around with it snowing dressed in shorts & t-shirts. The only place we really felt the impact of the crowds were with the buses. It was always a 20 minute wait, and I don't think I ever sat on a bus the whole time we were there, but that's not too bad in my opinion if that is the only negative. I would definitely go back at Thanksgiving again if given the opportunity. :mickey:

jnfr2424
12-02-2008, 01:02 PM
We just returned last night also. We went to Magic Kingdom on Thursday, Epcot on Friday, and Studios on Saturday. The parks were full, but it was not really as bad as I thought it might be. Just be prepared. The big ones - Soarin, Toy Story Mania, RNRC, all run out of fast passes early and have a standy of 1-2 hours typically. Even if you you have to wait the time usually passes pretty quickly, YOU'RE IN DISNEY WORLD! :thumbsup: The line for Tinkerbell was 90 mins and when we got there, she was not even there. :( But we were able to go back right before closing and a CM confirmed she was there, so we got to meet here after only about an hour wait. Candlelight Processional and Illuminations were great, a definite must do! Osbourne FOL was also great and not nearly as crowded Saturday night as I anticipated. It was kinda unusual walking around with it snowing dressed in shorts & t-shirts. The only place we really felt the impact of the crowds were with the buses. It was always a 20 minute wait, and I don't think I ever sat on a bus the whole time we were there, but that's not too bad in my opinion if that is the only negative. I would definitely go back at Thanksgiving again if given the opportunity. :mickey:

Ditto! We just returned last night as well - been there since last Tuesday and the parks were crowded! EMH was a blessing as we got through the major rides in fact we got fast passes first then went on the rides the longest wait time was TS (80 mins) and Soarin(90 mins) and that was yesterday!We were there Friday night to see Holiday lights at HS, Saturday we did Candleight Procession(last showing) and had tickets for Sunday's MVMCP! Was lucky to see Tink during MVMCP and was 4th on line! I am making plans already for next Thanksgiving-would do it again in a hearbeat!

Baloo Da Man!
12-02-2008, 04:43 PM
We arrived Sat. Nov. 22nd and left Sunday Nov. 30th. We went early morning commando style Sun. through Wed, then relaxed Thursday through Sat. and picked off what we had missed earlier in the week. It got very crowded on Thurs. thru Sat. While it was busy, we never waited more than 20-30 minutes for any ride. This was accomplished because: (a) we are pretty good at the fast pass system and arrive early enough to be near the rope when it drops (you can get a ton done in the early morning); (b) we simply don't get in stand-by lines that are too long, (c) we don't stop for lunch (granola bars in line), (d) DW and I plan ahead effectively and without marital discord (i.e, at the drop, DW would hustle to get FP to TT, then meet me and the kids at Soarin'); and (e) my kids are terrified of roller coasters so we did not do SM, EE, RnRC or TofT (we tried BTMR, but it almost sent them into cardiac arrest).

We did TSM 3 times on Sat. morning without a significant wait - 10 minute wait in line after the EMH opening, then 2 more times before 11:00 with fast passes. Great ride, but it is very crowded - get your FP early.

Christmas decorations are up. Did CP and Osborne lights Sat. night. I like Thanksgiving week at WDW.