PDA

View Full Version : Just have to go...

darlingmom
11-28-2008, 12:44 PM
I just have to get back to Disney. It's not even been a year, but it's just... so fun! I'd like to make it happen in early March or mid-June, but budgetary concerns are holding us back right now.

The alternative vacation this summer would cost $1500-2000. Disney in March would be around $4500. Help me cut corners to make this work.

Here is our usual plan:
Family of 5, stay at POR-RIV (trundle bed is handy, room is crowded though), 7 days-1 park/day passes plus dinning, and we fly (flying is optional, but preferred in June).

Should we consider staying off-site? Pay as we go for food? Would the extra crowds in mid-June just be too much? The pay for 4, stay for 7 nights is a great deal and we'd hate to pass it up.

Thank you, darlingmom

Beast_fanatic
11-28-2008, 02:29 PM
I would take a look at not doing the dining plan to see if it would be a better deal for your family.

I would also look at staying off-site somewhere that you can fix a few meals to save some money (perhaps All Star Vacation Homes (http://www.allstarvacationhomes.com/?ovchn=OTHER&ovcpn=Listing+Sites&ovcrn=Intercot&ovtac=AD)).

Your best bet will be to price out all the options to see how you'll come out best.

Disney Doll
11-30-2008, 12:13 PM
I've done a few trips on a tight budget. My first recommendation would be to stay at a value, but you have 5 people. We've also done the vacation homes and they are pretty affordable. You'd have to rent a car if you stayed off site, but that shouldn't be too expensive. I would recommend that you look into the All Star Vacation Homes. We used them before and were very pleased. Next, I would recommend that you not do the dining plan. If saving is the goal plan on only doing counter service meals and paying as you go. Many times kids can split an adult meal for less than the cost a 2 kids' meals. I also recommend that you make use of the kitchen in the vacation home and plan to do at least breakfast at home each morning. We always fly because we just can't afford to take extra time off of work to accomodate the long drive, but I won't go if I can't get resonable air fare. Check Southwest. They usually have decent rates and I love flying with them. I would also try for March instead of June. Both will probably be crowded, but at least you won't be hot in March. I did one summer trip years ago and it was miserably hot so I'll never go in summer again. Hope you can make it work!!

illini
11-30-2008, 12:43 PM
Skip the dining plan and you can save some pretty decent change. I think most Disney food is overrated anyway, so I'd just do a couple TS and mostly CS.
Have you gotten an actual quote yet? My math may be off, but $4500 even with airfare seems a little high. A friend was just looking into POR for 5 for March from MN and I thought it was quite a bit lower than that.

darlingmom
11-30-2008, 02:55 PM
My quote with 7 nights at POR-RIV, 7 days magic your way 1 park/day plus dining tickets was a little over $2800, I have now found airfare for $270ppx5=1350, then I add $450 for gifts, extra snacks if needed. I know I'm guessing high, but that's better than est. low and being surprised later. At least my family is in agreement that we all want this enough to start cutting corners and save up as much as we can. Early 2009 may be a long wait...but worth it.

FenwayGirl
12-09-2008, 01:55 PM
Definately drop the dining plan. You can ship breakfast and snack food ahead...saves a lot!

teambricker04
12-09-2008, 03:45 PM
I agree... drop the dining. We usually make only a couple of ADRs for special meals and the CS the rest of the way. We always bring breakfast foods and eat in the room. That way we get a good start on the day and can sleep in a little longer if we need to.

Also, maybe you will have to limit the gifts you buy. I know it stinks to do that, but maybe limiting what you buy for the kids while you are there. Do they earn money for helping with things? Tell them to save up for some spending money.

I think your room and tix sound reasonable. You have a decent airfare from MSP (which can be expensive to fly from!!!). I think it comes down to incidentals and food.