PDA

View Full Version : Interesting story????

pdrlkr
11-27-2008, 08:53 PM
Sorry this is so long.
My daughter came home last week and told us that her best friend said her mother knows someone who had her 5 kids kidnapped at WDW. My daughter believed the story and was a little concerned that something like that could happen at WDW. We assured her that story was not true and that we would talk to the mother to get the whole story. We thought maybe the kids got lost and she just misunderstood. To our surprise, the mother said the story was true. She said she does know someone who had her 2 kids, not 5, kidnapped at WDW. She said the women was watching her 4 year old in line for a ride while she feed her infant on a park bench. A group of people walked by blocking her view and when they had passed the 4 year old was gone. She said that the women then handed her infant to a stranger to watch while she went to look for the 4 year old. When she came back to the bench the infant was also gone. She said the women went to security and was told that it happens all the time. That people come to WDW only to kidnap children. The told her that they will take the kids into the restroom and change their close and even dye their hair. They basically acted as if it was common place. Rest assured I didn’t believe the story at all. I even found information on Snopes dot com that practically repeated the story word for and confirmed it to be a false rumor. They stated that no child has ever been kidnapped at a Disney Park. Not even the sites that attack Disney say anything about children being kidnapped at Disney parks. The problem is I am having trouble explaining to my daughter why they would tell her this story. The friend’s mother swears the story is true. She even claims to have known the children prior to the kidnapping. Should I confront the mother? She is a friend also? Should I just let it go? :confused:

Marilyn Michetti
11-27-2008, 10:07 PM
My choice would be "let it go". If this woman is going to these lengths to gain attention, I wouldn't feed into it. I've never heard anything about this before, and can't believe it wouldn't be a major media circus. :drama:

TinkerbellT421
11-27-2008, 11:34 PM
I would personally "let it go"...but my only question is what are the details behind how the heck she got not one but BOTH her kids back!?!? Thats what would confuse me the most....details as to how they found them, who had them, and if they found who had them were they arrested. And I am sorry if this offends anyone...but why on this great earth would you leave your infant with a STRANGER (no matter where you are, WDW isnt just a place were NO BAD can EVER happen) to go find your 4 year old!????? :confused: Maybe its because Im not a parent...but I would find a CM as quickly as possible, they are everywhere, or rather take the infant with me....or am I the only one that would think that way!?

Marymouse2003
11-28-2008, 01:37 AM
Years ago we were told stories about kidnapping. The take them in the bathroom, change the clothes and hair color then sling them over the shoulder like they were asleep. Unfortunately, it was from the mouth of a taxi driver. We were on our way from airport to wdw. My understanding is THIS IS NOT TRUE. The media would be all over this. Especially the Disney hate squads.

Ian
11-28-2008, 04:39 AM
The "take 'em into the bathroom and dye their hair" story is an urban legend. It's been told quite a few times in the past and seems to be most common around the holidays. To the best of my knowledge, it was debunked multiple times and continues to be nothing more than a tall tale.

I mean common sense tells you that unless you were the dumbest human being on the planet, no one would ever hand their infant to a stranger immediately after noticing their 4 year old was missing. :shake:

DizneyRox
11-28-2008, 08:39 AM
Also, nobody ever dies at WDW either. They die at the hospital. I can't recall ever reading that anyone was ever pronounced dead at the scene.

Marilyn Michetti
11-28-2008, 03:49 PM
What boggles my mind, (other than most everything), is believing that a CM would say to a guest, "this happens all the time".

These are different times, and it COULD happen - it does happen - but that one is too wierd.:confused:

Disney Doll
11-28-2008, 04:53 PM
I mean common sense tells you that unless you were the dumbest human being on the planet, no one would ever hand their infant to a stranger immediately after noticing their 4 year old was missing. :shake:

Exactly. Additionally, who would let their 4 year old wait in line or ride a ride by themselves? It's just stupid.

To the OP, I think I would have a hard time with the friend who insists this story is true. I would press her for more information in an attempt to get her to come clean. Mention that you tried to research the story and can't find anything about it aside from the Snope's article. Ask her the family's name since she claims to know them. It may be easier to let it go, but it would really bother me if a friend of mine were telling stories that worried my child especially if the story wasn't even true. Why would anyone perpetuate that kind of thing?

Mousefever
11-28-2008, 05:06 PM
I would casually bring up the story to your friend and sound naively incredulous. "Wow, that must have been awful for your friend who had that happen! I found a story like that on Snopes!" You don't have to mention that the story is false on Snopes. But maybe she'll check it out and know she is busted. ;)

Amy

pink
11-28-2008, 05:51 PM
What amazes me about this whole thing is what lengths this mother went through to get attention.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
11-28-2008, 11:19 PM
Wow the exact same thing happened at Bradlees Dept store when I worked there back in the early 70's! Well, except for the part about the woman passing her infant to a stranger. But they took the kid into the fitting room, changed and dyed it's hair (all in the fitting room?) That's how long this story has been circulating.
I'd just let it go. Obviously this woman is either very gullible or trying to cast a shadow on Disney for some reason.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
11-29-2008, 01:03 AM
Also, nobody ever dies at WDW either. They die at the hospital. I can't recall ever reading that anyone was ever pronounced dead at the scene.

Actually, there are two different types of dead. There is clinically dead, and officially dead. One is in which your heart stops for a period of time, and is resusitated, and the other is...dead. Not coming back. People have been pronounced dead at the scene before.

As for the changing clothes, and hair color, this was actually the case at a major retail store. The cops noticed because the one thing they didn't change were the shoes. The shoes were the ones the kid originally had on and the mother knew that.

But I don't think a child was ever successfully taken from the parks. Security would have caught them before they got to the parking lot. Now, people have tried to leave their kids there....but that's different.