PDA

View Full Version : Figaro's Festive Frolics part 2

dlpmikki
11-26-2008, 09:39 PM
Friday 21st November
Early start today so we can have breakfast with the Big Cheese at Tusker House in Animal Kingdom. It is cold and foggy as we set off. We are early enough to be the second car in line to get through the parking lot entrance (which is closed off with cones). By the time some cast members come and move the cones we have much less time. They are hardly likely to start without us but the day has warmed up so we miss the chance to take pictures of DAK in mist and fog.

At Tusker House, we are greeted like old friends by CM Neil. This is not entirely a surprise (we remember the experience when he did the same at Donald’s Breakfastosaurus) but it remains an incredible example of customer service – even for Disney – it is several years since we last saw him. The breakfast is also good and I get pictures with Mickey, Donald, Daisy and Goofy. Goofy is really tall and larking about in true Goofy fashion. I wonder if he is really as goofy as his name. Somehow, he doesn’t knock over a single cup or plate or stand on any of the children who are wandering about.

We explore Africa. We walk the Panganini Trail. It has several features that are new or that we don’t remember. We also manage a very close up view of an adult gorilla. It is magnificent to see this creature – but this close I am still glad there is glass between us.

We take the train to Conservation Station. On the platform, Andrew sees a notice that reveals what the currency of Harambe is (the shilling). Conservation Station has a very worthy message but there really wasn’t much that amused the humans. I did great! I got to ride on a tiger and a rhino (OK, cut-outs) and had pictures with the Insect (as I call the cricket who appeared in Pinocchio) and Rafikki. Rafikki held me up, presenting me like he did baby Simba. It would have been nice if all the animals in the line had done their part and bowed but even Disney can’t manage everything.

We go home and today it is Mikki who has a rest before we set out for shops – this time up International Drive for the Prime Outlets. It is busy. The hardest thing is to find a parking space. Again, we check out the Character Outlet but the main spend is at the Rockport store in the “Shoppes” mall where Mikki gets 3 pairs of shoes (third pair free).

The humans again stop at Panera Bread – today eating in. Soup and a sandwich – delicious and great value. Back home it is packing up to move. Fortunately, we have not unpacked everything so it is not such a big job.

Saturday 22nd November
By spreading their load between lots of bags, the humans manage to carry all their stuff to the car without needing help from the bellmen. We have not charged anything so don’t expect a bill but think it best to check at Hospitality House before leaving. Oops, it is all in darkness and the computers are down. They have a power cut.

We take a bus to Epcot. We are lucky: we have a chatty driver who doesn’t just play the new official announcements. She tells us the day’s timetable of events: park closes at 9; Illuminations is at 9pm; herd of elephants is released at 9.15. “You know who the herd of elephants is?” “Us” call back everyone on the bus. “No! The herd of elephants is the people who stay off property and have to catch their one and only charter bus. You don’t have to rush You can be the last person out of the park. You will have Security right behind you and ten buses waiting in front.”

Epcot is busy. The tip board says it is 10 minutes for “Mission Space” but we don’t believe it when we join the line. We give up without waiting and are reassured to notice the wait on the tip board has changed to 40 minutes when we next pass it.

Mikki is tempted by pictures in “Art of Disney” but all she will buy today is a couple of postcards (plenty of time).

We have a snack lunch at China (orange chicken). We ride Spaceship Earth – where the computers crash half way through the descent. It happens.

We set off back to OKW hoping our timing will now be right for our check-in to the next place to stay. We make one stop before leaving. This is the general store where they have pretty mugs featuring Tink priced at $10. Everywhere else (and all the other characters at OKW) are priced at $11.95. Sure enough, the register has the price for Tink here as $11.95 but the nice cashier honours the price ticket. We assume it is old stock – but nearly 20% is quite a price increase for alleged hard times.

We drive to Marriott’s Grande Vista and check in. We are a few minutes before official check in time but the reception is already busy and our room is available. It is about as far as you can go along one of the roads through the resort – but the plus side is that we have a lovely view.

The humans only had a light lunch so it is time for a real meal: off to Outback Steakhouse while it is still happy hour (actually they mainly go early to avoid a long wait for a table). They must be hungry: they demolish that lovely bread as well as getting through the starters and main courses.

Now it’s to Publix to stock up with essentials for the room: milk, bread and – more wine.

JPL
11-26-2008, 11:33 PM
Thanks for the update Figaro :mickey:

vizsla
11-27-2008, 07:16 AM
Thanks for the report.

tinkerbell04
11-27-2008, 08:32 AM
Thanks for the update. I am looking forward to hearing about the Marriott, we are staying there on our first night next trip!

mouseketeer mom
11-27-2008, 09:11 AM
Thanks for the report! You're having a wonderful holiday week!

MauiMouse
11-27-2008, 09:38 AM
Sounds like another couple of fun days.

Have a good American Thanksgiving today, Figaro, Mikki & Andrew. :turkey:

See you all in a couple weeks time. :wave:

pdrlkr
11-27-2008, 10:21 AM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey:

ElenitaB
11-27-2008, 10:34 AM
Thanks for the report, Figaro! I do hope to see some pictures of you and Rafiki!

laward32
11-27-2008, 11:07 AM
Sounds like a wonderful time. Keep them coming.:mickey:

trackbarroness
11-27-2008, 12:06 PM
I like this trip report, because it's about food. And shopping of course. :D
Happy Thanksgivings

faline
11-27-2008, 12:34 PM
A lovely day at Animal Kingdom! Sounds like the move went smoothly!

dtootsie42
11-27-2008, 12:38 PM
Sounds like another couple of great days. Thanks for sharing!!

magickingdom67
11-28-2008, 04:58 AM
Sounds like a great day Figaro! Look forward to your next report.

DizNee143
12-01-2008, 09:46 AM
sounds like you and your humans are having a nice time so far..:mickey:

disneydrmr
12-01-2008, 10:22 AM
I really enjoy reading your reports Figaro! Sounds like your humans are improving in their energy/rest area...I'm with you on the glass between you and the gorilla.. we got some great pictures of one also when we were there.. they are magnificent to look at but I wouldn't want to 'meet' one. I've not had Outback for a few years... you got me craving a Bloomin' Onion!

offwego
12-02-2008, 01:20 PM
Essentials with wine..Like your humans style.

It sounds like things are going well so far, I hope it continues.

Bethis26fan
01-24-2009, 05:18 PM
Sounds like a great time so far.