PDA

View Full Version : Handicap Standing in Que Line

Jasper
11-26-2008, 02:47 PM
OK, as many of you know I have a tremendous number of health problems with my back being the worst of it. Over the last 10 years or so I have had 8 back surgeries with 3 of those happening in the last 11 months or so.

We have been putting off a return trip to WDW for many years because of my health issues but finally have one scheduled for January. My issue is this; I really don't want to rent a wheelchair both because of the cost and because I am only 46 and my male pride would be hurt to show up in a wheelchair! It already kills me when I have to occasionally use a cane!

Anyway, I actually can do OK as long as I keep walking. The problem comes when I have to stand in one spot for any length of time. I realize that we are going during a fairly slow time but there will still be some standing and waiting for things. Does anyone have any suggestions besides renting a wheelchair?

luvnwdw
11-26-2008, 04:52 PM
my husband had a heart attack on JUne 10th this year, his recovery went very well with no significant permanent damage, he is ok with walking at a decent pace but just standing wears him down, since we are staying on property we were told to mention this when we check in to see if there is a pass he can use to allow him to wait until the rest of us are close to riding (very mild rides for him of course) and then he can join us, you might see if guest relations can resolve this for you

TheDuckRocks
11-27-2008, 09:09 AM
Jasper, standing is one of my biggest problems also and that why I use an ECV, more individual freedom that way.

pwdebbie
11-28-2008, 08:12 AM
Standing is one of my dh's biggest problems. He can walk an 9-hole golf course, but he cannot stand in a long checkout line.

I was hoping that some sort of accomodation would be available to him at WDW, but the pass they gave us did nothing for us. He was not given a place to sit and wait while I stood in the line. I was very disappointed by this. It was especially difficult for him to stand on a slant, like the waiting area for Honey I Shrunk the Audience. (He gave up and went outside and sat while I waited alone and then watched the show alone.)

Also, if you are not using an ECV or a cane, be prepared for nasty comments or glances on the bus. Sad but true. I'm half tempted to print up some cards to hand to people the next time that says something like, "I know my husband looks healthy, but he isn't. I would appreciate it if you would keep your comments to yourself." My husband usually ignores the comments, but at one point on our last trip, he did tell the person that he sincerely regretted not being able to give up his seat for her, that he would love to be healthy enough to ride standing up, and that he has health problems that would put a quick end to our trip if he attempted to do so.

I wish you the best for your trip.

Deb
POFQ, Oct. 2007

tinkerbellybutton
11-28-2008, 08:36 AM
Hey Jasper, good to see you! I am aware of all of the problems you have had lately so first things first :pixie: :hug: As far as cost, do you know that if you are staying at a WDW resort then you can "borrow" a w/c for no cost for your length of stay? Unfortunately pride cometh before a fall, whether you like the idea of it or not a w/c really is a good way to be comfortable and still be able to do the things you want. Becuase of the EDS I now have my own chair but don't always sit, sometimes I push it so that I can lean on it as well. There is also the option of having someone else in your party wait in line and then you can join them, dirty looks or not..... The GAC really doesn't do much for having to stand, yes, some rides have alternate entrances but you also have to stand and wait in most of those as well. I really would reccomend using a w/c from the resort just as a tool. Believe me Sweetie, I know it's not the most pleasant thing but I choose to have a magical vacation over pride. Good luck and if you need anything you know how to reach me. :D

Jasper
11-28-2008, 12:32 PM
Also, if you are not using an ECV or a cane, be prepared for nasty comments or glances on the bus. Sad but true. I'm half tempted to print up some cards to hand to people the next time that says something like, "I know my husband looks healthy, but he isn't. I would appreciate it if you would keep your comments to yourself."

I understand exactly where you are coming from! I am in pretty much the same position as your husband, I look healthy if you don't know me but actually have a lot of health issues. I have always tried to live by the old principal of not judging a book by its cover but have really learned the true meaning of that statement in the last 10 years or so.

Hey Jasper, good to see you! I am aware of all of the problems you have had lately so first things first :pixie: :hug: As far as cost, do you know that if you are staying at a WDW resort then you can "borrow" a w/c for no cost for your length of stay? Unfortunately pride cometh before a fall, whether you like the idea of it or not a w/c really is a good way to be comfortable and still be able to do the things you want. Becuase of the EDS I now have my own chair but don't always sit, sometimes I push it so that I can lean on it as well. There is also the option of having someone else in your party wait in line and then you can join them, dirty looks or not..... The GAC really doesn't do much for having to stand, yes, some rides have alternate entrances but you also have to stand and wait in most of those as well. I really would reccomend using a w/c from the resort just as a tool. Believe me Sweetie, I know it's not the most pleasant thing but I choose to have a magical vacation over pride. Good luck and if you need anything you know how to reach me. :D

Actually, I was not aware that you could get a free W/C at the resorts, I will have to talk to my wife about this! I also plan on taking my canes along as well and may try that on the first couple of days.

Thanks to all of you for both your suggestions as well as your concern.

David

ElenitaB
11-28-2008, 09:21 PM
Just beware that each resort has a limited number of wheelchairs. My mom used one at WL a few years ago, but I had made sure to call the resort directly before our arrival to inquire about availability.

Good luck! Have a magical trip, Jasper! :mickey:

Dee4Disney
02-01-2009, 03:16 AM
I believe the complimentary resort wheelchairs are available on a first-come, first-served basis. They have the resort name printed on them so they are sometimes easier to spot in the "stroller parking" if like me you can park your chair and walk onto the ride. I can't walk long distances, but with RA I can't stay in a chair all day either... sometimes I got out and let the kids have a turn... leaning on the chair to push it is similar to using a walker (my DD's-6 and 10 at the time - weighed next to nothing).:)