PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried the Medifast Diet??

luvDaMouse
11-24-2008, 09:52 AM
Hi,
Well this is the last diet I am going to try...
Have tried them all. Has anyone tried medifast? Did it work for you? have you kept the weight off? I Would like to lose about 75-85 lbs. How hard was it? any advise would be welcome!

dfamasb
11-24-2008, 10:27 AM
I can't speak for Medifast but I can tell you that Nutrisystem works. I have been on since August 1st and have lost 30 lbs and gotten my diabetes under control. I too am looking to lose at least 75lbs. Feel free to ask me any questions. I can also get you $30 off your first order if you pm me your email address.

Strmchsr
11-24-2008, 11:13 AM
:ditto:

I've been on Nutrisystem since the first of August and have lost 77 lbs as of this morning. Granted, guys lose faster than ladies, but it seems to work well, you don't starve, and the food tastes pretty decent.

LandFan
11-24-2008, 11:21 AM
I have a friend who is on Medifast. She said it works for her but it is hard to stick to sometimes.

On the flip side, DH and I both decided to go the surgery route and had gastric bypass surgery (RNY). We have both thrived. I've lost about 115 lbs and DH has lost about 85lbs or so. It is a very personal choice - one each person has to make for themselves. I had just had enough and reached the bottom so I decided to go for it. Once DH (the chicken : ) saw that it was a fairly simple procedure for me, he chose to have it done too (about 7 months later). Luckily we have good health insurance and they approved us both. For myself, I would do it again in a heartbeat! Life is now very good and I wouldn't change a thing - neither would DH.

No matter how you choose to go about it. Life is very much richer when you don't have to worry about seatbelt extenders, hiding behind bigger clothes and breaking lawnchairs!

Good luck to you!!

LandFan
11-24-2008, 11:23 AM
BTW, PM me if you have any questions - as you can see, I am a neighbor! I had it done at Lehigh Valley Hospital...

WishingStar2006
11-24-2008, 12:05 PM
Believe it or not my doctor went on the Medifast diet. She was a very robust young woman and had been for the 15+ years I have been going to her...then, when I went in for my annual check-up, I didn't recognize her!!!! She had lost 70 pounds in about 7 months and ha signed up to be one of the "advisors" or whatever they call it...I guess you have a mentor or something that's helps you through. It is hard to stick to and I don't know if it's something you have to do forever....but I have seen her since the inital time and the weight is still off and she looks GREAT!!!!

Good luck with whatever you choose. I have just been diagnosed with diabetes so I'm going to give Atkins a try...

dfamasb
11-24-2008, 12:55 PM
Good luck with whatever you choose. I have just been diagnosed with diabetes so I'm going to give Atkins a try...

Be careful with Atkins and diabetes. You need to have carbs when you are diabetic. Nutrisystem has a diabetic program as well that works wonders :thumbsup:

WishingStar2006
11-24-2008, 01:43 PM
Be careful with Atkins and diabetes. You need to have carbs when you are diabetic. Nutrisystem has a diabetic program as well that works wonders

I thought you had to restrict carbs with diabetes because they turn to pure sugar...I'm confused.

Strmchsr
11-24-2008, 01:55 PM
I thought you had to restrict carbs with diabetes because they turn to pure sugar...I'm confused.

Well, it depends on which kind of diabetes. Type-2 has to be a lot more restrictive than type-1 on the amount of carbs ingested. Type-1 you just take an insulin shot for whatever you eat to process the carbs. With type-2 the body doesn't process the carbs well so you have to be more limited. That said, you still need some carbs. Cutting off carbs completely for a diabetic can be very unhealthy and cause extreme drops in sugar levels. Lows are just as (and sometimes more) dangerous than highs. A diet like Atkins is not something recommended for diabetics simply because it's too restrictive. If a diet is necessary it is better to pick a program specifically designed for diabetics (like Nurtrisystem) rather than a generic diet program.

dfamasb
11-24-2008, 02:00 PM
I would suggest taking a diabetes education course. With diabetes you want to eat small amounts of carbs all throughout the day to avoid spikes in your blood sugar. You should not go longer than 4 hours without having at least 30 grams of carbs. I won't get into the specifics here but please, if you are newly diagnosed, you NEED to talk with a dietician and get some education on the disease. Your doctor should be able to refer you and I believe most insurance covers it.

iDisney
11-25-2008, 02:56 AM
My father was on it years ago. (It was all shakes then. I don't know if its changed now.) He lost a lot of weight, but the moment he stopped drinking the shakes, he gained it all back. I'm sure his eating habits didn't help, but there is only so long you can tolerate only eating shakes! ;) I think we had a big supply of it in our basement until a few years ago actually. Probably wasn't fit to consume, but we had it.

SteveL
11-25-2008, 12:42 PM
My father was on it years ago. (It was all shakes then. I don't know if its changed now.) He lost a lot of weight, but the moment he stopped drinking the shakes, he gained it all back. I'm sure his eating habits didn't help, but there is only so long you can tolerate only eating shakes! ;) I think we had a big supply of it in our basement until a few years ago actually. Probably wasn't fit to consume, but we had it.

You father deserves an endurance award.
The shakes, particularly the strawberry shakes, were enough to gag a maggott. Numerous boxes went in our trash too. The squirrels wouldn't even rummage after it.

NotaGeek
11-25-2008, 12:53 PM
Believe it or not my doctor went on the Medifast diet. She was a very robust young woman and had been for the 15+ years I have been going to her...then, when I went in for my annual check-up, I didn't recognize her!!!! She had lost 70 pounds in about 7 months and ha signed up to be one of the "advisors" or whatever they call it...I guess you have a mentor or something that's helps you through. It is hard to stick to and I don't know if it's something you have to do forever....but I have seen her since the inital time and the weight is still off and she looks GREAT!!!!

As someone that has been living with Type 2 diabetes, the only advice I ever give is find a doctor that is well versed in Diabetes treatment. If you have just been diagnosed, your doctor should have already suggested you see both a dietitian and a endocrinologist -- if that hasn't happened you really need to consider finding a doctor that is an expert in diabetes treatment.

Diabetes is very serious and sometimes deadly disease and it can affect everyone differently -- so your plan needs to be suited to fit you and your lifestyle (medication ISN'T enough!). My endocrinologist, doctor and dietitian all work together with me to make sure my blood sugar levels are in check, and with exercise, diet and medication I am doing really well.

iDisney
12-03-2008, 12:14 AM
You father deserves an endurance award.
The shakes, particularly the strawberry shakes, were enough to gag a maggott. Numerous boxes went in our trash too. The squirrels wouldn't even rummage after it.

I know. If I remember correctly, he drank mostly the orange one. He had us taste it and I wondered how he stood it. :ack: