PDA

View Full Version : Camera tripods in parks?

AuntLaura
11-23-2008, 06:44 PM
Do they allow guests to bring camera tripods into the parks. I don't think I've ever seen anyone with one. I'd like to get a good family picture on our upcoming trip and was thinking about bringing one. Thanks.

chrisb26
11-23-2008, 07:04 PM
I'm pretty sure they do unless they have recently change the rule. I brought one before in Christmas 06 so I could get good shots of the Christmas Lights and other night pictures.

The only bad thing was carrying it around all day lol but other then that I don't think there would be a problem.

dfamasb
11-23-2008, 07:10 PM
You might consider taking a family pic at one of the resorts so you don't have to lug around the tripod.

Strmchsr
11-23-2008, 07:15 PM
Yes, you can. I use it when I want to take no-flash night shots. As noted, though, it's a royal pain to haul around. If you just want a family portrait, get the photopass folks to do it for you. They'll take one with their camera and then take one with yours if you want.

PhilHarHarMagic
11-23-2008, 08:13 PM
yes, you can do it. You might consider a "monopod" so it isn't quite so much to carry around.

Seasonscraps
11-23-2008, 08:23 PM
You can bring tripods. We have a little one that folds down to the size of a small umbrella. It works well for fireworks - we set it on a garbage can and fired away.

princessjojo
11-23-2008, 09:15 PM
Yeah they do. We actually had a gentleman plant his right in front of us during our June trip, then expected us to move...all 8 of us.

I've seen a small one, about 9" tall at most that's flexible allowing you to wrap it around a tree/post if you really wanted to.

Polynesian Dweller
11-23-2008, 10:17 PM
I've seen a small one, about 9" tall at most that's flexible allowing you to wrap it around a tree/post if you really wanted to.
Yep, they're called gorillapods and come in several sizes and are amazingly versatile and solid. As stated, you can wrap them around a post, tree limb, fence railing and have them hold your camera steady. We have one and use it for night shots at the parks.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
11-24-2008, 12:13 AM
yes, you can do it. You might consider a "monopod" so it isn't quite so much to carry around.

In my opinion, and experience....a monopod is really quite useless.

Essentially, you still have to hold it as still as possible because a monopod won't stand on it's own...otherwise, if you move....it'll affect the image....which defeats the purpose of it....

But that's just my opinion....either way, you can bring a tri- or mono- pod to the parks.

Melanie
11-24-2008, 12:15 AM
Yep, they're called gorillapods and come in several sizes and are amazingly versatile and solid. As stated, you can wrap them around a post, tree limb, fence railing and have them hold your camera steady. We have one and use it for night shots at the parks.

And they are awesome! And I don't think nearly as intrusive to other folks as a tripod is.

CaptainSad
11-24-2008, 09:13 AM
I use a monopod for my HD Video Camera. It really comes in handy when you are standing and taping things like Illuminations or Parades,fireworks. Mine can extend to 7 feet and I can get shots above everybodies heads. They are great when you are on rides also. Just extend it to a certain height and place between your feet and legs so you can pan from side to side, and you get almost perfect videos. I have really good video's of BTMRR and POTC,HM w/night vision. It also helps if you have the steady cam feature also.

KylesMom
11-24-2008, 10:05 AM
We used to bring our tripod to each Disney park - but this was during the "slow" time after 9-11. Once business really began picking up and Photopass was offered, there didn't seem to be much of a point, since there just wasn't enough room to set up without folks running into it. I decided it wasn't worth risking any of our cameras.

The gorillapod sounds really cool!

DDuck66
11-24-2008, 10:20 AM
We often take our tripod and rent a locker for the day so we do not have to haul it around all day. That way we only get it out when we need it (usually for fireworks). We also have a pencil tripod, which is great as it can sit on a table or garbage can. It is only about 12 inches long when fully extended. You can find them at almost any camera shop for about 10-20 bucks.

illini
11-24-2008, 10:45 AM
Another vote for the gorillapod. Very cool and much, much easier to haul around.
You couldn't pay me enough to lug a tripod into the parks.

Goes4FastPass
11-25-2008, 11:38 AM
Better family photo choice might be PhotoPass

henry.james.s
11-25-2008, 12:07 PM
I've used a monopod for years with great results. On the forest trails at AK the help with keeping panning smooth is fab.

ILoveLegos
11-25-2008, 03:16 PM
I've carried my palm sized table top tripod aound the parks, it works well at character dining to queue lines that have a "wall" or "garbage can" in it. Best of all it folds down small enough to fit in my camera bag, right next to my camera so it's always ready to use when I need it.

AuntLaura
11-26-2008, 05:31 PM
Thanks to everyone who replied. We leave tomorrow.:thumbsup::thumbsup: