PDA

View Full Version : Rude Remarks

Granny Jill A
11-21-2008, 02:45 PM
I've been reading some posts regarding guests in wheelchairs or ECV's, and was wondering about the rude remarks they encountered while at Disney World.

As someone who has pushed a wheelchair on one trip and used one personally on another, I never experienced rudeness of any sort.

I do know that sometimes folks with strollers and ECV's get distracted and run into people or block a walkway. Usually, they apologize, but sometimes they don't. Maybe that stirs up animosity towards everyone with a stroller or wheelchair.

IloveDisney71
11-21-2008, 02:49 PM
My DH had to rent a scooter for a vacation at Disney a few years ago and we didn't hear any negative remarks either. But we did have people that seemed to ignore him on the scooter and would walk right in his path and then look at him like it was his fault when he almost hit them- this happened a lot. We just took it in stride, there are rude people everywhere.

ElenitaB
11-21-2008, 06:02 PM
But we did have people that seemed to ignore him on the scooter and would walk right in his path and then look at him like it was his fault when he almost hit them- this happened a lot.
:ditto:
Or my favorite trick: people walk in front of me and then stop dead in their tracks, leaving me on a wing and a prayer that the ECV stops in time. Riding the little chariot (aka the ECV) is very stressful, and these are just a few examples of why.

I have had people on the bus make hateful comments to me and also people cut in front of me while online at stores. God forbid, once I protested and the mom of the family launched into a very hurtful tirade. So, yes, it does happen. Happily, it's the exception rather than the norm.

TheDuckRocks
11-22-2008, 04:04 PM
Ellen is correct these things are by far the exception rather than the rule.
I'm still shaking my head over one experience I had at AK. While waiting for the parade on my ECV about 4 inches back from the rope with the blue handycap sign right in front of me I heard a woman yelling at her husband, "Bring the kids over here and we'll stand right in front of this lady". What???????? :jaw:
Well, here they come 4 kids, mom and dad and proceed to bow the rope outwards to fit into that whole 4 inches of space. Thank goodness a CM was right there to nicely but firmly remove them from behind the rope.
Some people are just rude and being at Disney doesn't change there normal behavior. For every bad story I have to tell I bet I have at least 50 good stories of people going out of their way to smile or say "Hi" or best of all just treat me as normal.

Granny Jill A
11-24-2008, 01:51 PM
I'm still shaking my head over one experience I had at AK. While waiting for the parade on my ECV about 4 inches back from the rope with the blue handycap sign right in front of me I heard a woman yelling at her husband, "Bring the kids over here and we'll stand right in front of this lady". What???????? :jaw:

That happened to me when I was pushing my sister in her chair. We had a spot for the parade in MK, and folks who were not special needs just started pushing their way in front of her. I was standing on the sidewalk where I could keep an eye on her but not take up a handicap spot. Unfortunately, no cast member came to her rescue. She finally had to tell them that she couldn't see the parade. :shake:

tinkerbellybutton
11-28-2008, 08:19 AM
I have found that for the most part people are generally decent when it comes to w/c's and ECV's however where we encountered the most problems were bus lines. As I have stated MANY times when we come to a bus line, if it is a long line then we wait near the back, we let a FULL bus load and then get into the w/c line. Doing this ensures that I will not be put on a bus before a family that has waited in line for 20 minutes. The problem we have found is that most people walk right by without even noticing that I have been waiting there before them, so when we go to get on the bus we still get sighs, groans and hurtful comments. There was one gentleman and his family that did notice me and apparently heard me explaining it to my son, he actually thanked me and that really made my day. However there was one man with his family that, as usual, walked right past without noticing that I had been waiting for over 1/2 hour for a bus, he threw an absolute fit when we were loaded onto the bus, so much so that he grabbed his kids and wife and jumped on through the back door, refusing to get off when the bus driver told him he would have to load through the front. The driver gave up and let him stay and the entire trip to MK he was ranting about how "people like me" think we're special! He actually had me in tears. Not only do I wait my turn but I also sit in a regular seat and fold my chair in front of me so that more people can fit on the bus, my family gets up and gives seats to women and children, so most of the time we are FAR more considerate than quite a few others when it comes to the busses. A girlfriend of mine and myself will be going in December (see you there Ellen ;)) and we are renting a car, I am so glad that we will not have to deal with the looks and comments on the busses. I truly feel sorry for that man, God forbid someday someone he loves no longer has the ability to walk 20 miles in a day at WDW and he is faced with the same prejudice that he has shown.

mcmom
01-03-2009, 01:21 PM
I am a mom to a little guy 8 yrs old that has CP. We get ALL kinds of rude remarks not just at Disney. Remarks from older folks that in their day people with disabilites were never seen out. I love the ones that tell me becuase he is young he does not merit a handicap parking spot or I must have drank or smoked before I had him or must have dome something very bad in my life to "get a child like him" It gets old quickly. I do wish at Disney that magic of the place could take all the "rudeness" out of people but that is not possible.

We usually go to DL since that is only an hour away from where we live but we are getting ready for our 2nd trip to the World.

At DL we have been left in a glass elevator by a CM who got distracted by a friend and forgot that we could not control it from the inside so on a day 90 degree day we were baking in a glass coffin until someone finally after 5 minutes came to our aide but we had to leave because my son became very ill from the heat. When we complained they offered us a "fast pass" for the autotopia ride the next time we came. That has been our worse mishapp there. Rudeness of guest is out of this world. W/C can't be easily lifted over curbs but when people just stand there and refuse to move off the cut off areas of the sidewalks that is your only option. Also people staring at him (yes I know he is a cute little guy but if we stare back they get mad and don't like it. My family has learned to have tolerance of the "narrow-minded people" out there that have more of a disability then my son will ever have. We have the ability to accept all people no matter what they look like, use for mobility, or how they talk those rude people are limited to their narrow world and will never understand that there is a big world out there with new discoveries and joy in the little things in life.

SBETigg
01-03-2009, 02:35 PM
Wow, it's hard to imagine there are people that rude and inconsiderate out there, but I've seen it, too. I always try to watch out for people with strollers or in wheelchairs/ECVs. It can't be easy trying to get through the crowd that way. We all need to pay attention and be mindful of others.

Marilyn Michetti
01-03-2009, 05:35 PM
It's not happened often that anything rude was said to me, but I've gotten the "look" from people in line for the bus when I've been boarded first, even tho' they've been there longer.
It's not going to change, so let it go. You're never going to see those people again - feel sorry for their neighbors, wives, etc. because they have to go home with nasty people.:D

dtootsie42
01-03-2009, 06:39 PM
I am a mom to a little guy 8 yrs old that has CP. We get ALL kinds of rude remarks not just at Disney. Remarks from older folks that in their day people with disabilites were never seen out. I love the ones that tell me becuase he is young he does not merit a handicap parking spot or I must have drank or smoked before I had him or must have dome something very bad in my life to "get a child like him" It gets old quickly. I do wish at Disney that magic of the place could take all the "rudeness" out of people but that is not possible.

We usually go to DL since that is only an hour away from where we live but we are getting ready for our 2nd trip to the World.

At DL we have been left in a glass elevator by a CM who got distracted by a friend and forgot that we could not control it from the inside so on a day 90 degree day we were baking in a glass coffin until someone finally after 5 minutes came to our aide but we had to leave because my son became very ill from the heat. When we complained they offered us a "fast pass" for the autotopia ride the next time we came. That has been our worse mishapp there. Rudeness of guest is out of this world. W/C can't be easily lifted over curbs but when people just stand there and refuse to move off the cut off areas of the sidewalks that is your only option. Also people staring at him (yes I know he is a cute little guy but if we stare back they get mad and don't like it. My family has learned to have tolerance of the "narrow-minded people" out there that have more of a disability then my son will ever have. We have the ability to accept all people no matter what they look like, use for mobility, or how they talk those rude people are limited to their narrow world and will never understand that there is a big world out there with new discoveries and joy in the little things in life.

I just wanted to say I am sorry that you have had some pretty horrible and rude things said and done to you all. My cousins 13 year old son died this year from complications with his CP and I have to say this young man was simply charming. I grew up with a cousin who had down syndrome, it always amazed me how rudely people treated him and my aunt...it went as far as sometimes my aunt could not get help from sales clerks because sales people would not wait on a person with a handicap.

I think there is a shortness of compassion among people which I truly do not understand. I do feel for people who get their knickers in a twist over people in wheelchairs or ECV's....life has a way of coming around and biting you in the rear... so hopefully people who have shown ugly behavior will be treated with kindness.

joanna71985
01-03-2009, 09:59 PM
Why can't people just follow the Golden Rule?:(

mic_keyfan
01-03-2009, 10:08 PM
My parents will be making there first ever trip to WDW February 6 and I have talked my dad into renting a scooter as he has trouble breathing due to COPD. I hope that they are not going to receive negative comments to ruin the magic!

Jenemmy
01-04-2009, 09:40 AM
My Dad rented a scooter at WDW last January, and while we didn't hear any negative comments, I did recall watching him try not to hit all the folks who hopped out in front of him. It occurred to me that this was in off season -- well, as off as Disney gets, and how do people manage when it is wall to wall crowds!

I grew up with a sister who had CP and now have a disabled son as well and maybe I just don't notice ignorant remarks and looks anymore. When my son was 4, a stranger said something so insensitive to him that he absolutely wept these big heartbreaking tears. I held him on my lap and told him that that woman didn't matter -- she didn't know him and what she thought was not important to any of us. I guess my lecture worked better on me, because I just don't typically let it get to me anymore (depends on the day and the mood! LOL)

AuntDJ
01-04-2009, 11:39 AM
In our everyday lives, my parents do not need ECV's. My father is disabled, but can walk small distances, and my mother has bad knees.....However, for a trip like Disney, they both use them.

Having been to multiple amusment parks in the last few years, I want to say NO ONE does handicapped better than Disney!!! My whole family agrees with this.

Disney CM's are polite and willing to do whatever they needed to make sure our family vacation was great!

My dad was very leary and didn't want to go to Disney....that has now changed and is considering another trip (not soon enough for me..but stil....)

For so many folks, this is a once in a lifetime trip, and they build it up so much, that when one thing (waiting for a wheelchair to load a bus) doesn't go how they thought....well it upsets the applecart and we all hear about it!

I try not to take it personally but it is hard...I say, it you THINK you need a wheelchair/ECV you should have it....who am I to judge??? Everyone deserves to have fun on Vacation and from my experience DISNEY has this same philosphy!

Have FUN!

SFTrny
01-06-2009, 07:05 PM
We spent 9 days at WDW over Thanksgiving last year and had a daughter in a wheelchair. Not only did we NOT get any rude remarks, but we found everyone very accommodating. ALSO...I will say that navigating the packed and shifting crowds with the chair is a real challenge, and in a standing crowd, nobody can see the wheelchair so you get some inadvertent, accidental cutoffs. I erred twice during the week and accidentally "heel clipped" someone with the foot rests of the chair. I felt horrible, but everyone was good natured. Thank you to those two people who were gracious enough to let my accidents pass!

badkitty
01-07-2009, 12:14 AM

:welcome: to Intercot!

I am so sorry you and your son get treated that way. It is just terrible how rude people can be.

MississippiDisneyFreak
01-07-2009, 09:34 AM
I had some problems on our last trip and had to rent a wheelchair...for the most part people are nice...mostly they just don't notice you and like another poster said they step in front of you or come to a dead stop in front of you...I don't think that's anything intentional just people spellbound stopping to take a look at something neat....the only instance I had negative was at a parade...they put us in a roped off area and the CM decided to take the rope down before it started...a woman and her family were not being considerate about stepping in front of me and she was giving me dirty looks...I think this is the exception though, not the rule...however I did not take my wheelchair on the buses...I overheard several people complaining about EVCs and wheelchairs getting loaded first...not nice people

DawsonAR
01-07-2009, 12:50 PM
We have made multiple trips with my DD (9) who is in wheelchair. We have had a few (very few) rude remarks, but overall people have been very nice. The buses have been the main problems and most (all but one) have been rude comments from bus drivers who didn't want to take the time to load the wheelchair and even one bus driver who refused to load her at all and drove off and left us standing. The nice part of that story is there were several other guest who stated they would not load the bus if he wouldn't load her. They were left standing with us.

Grim Grinning Marathon Runner
01-07-2009, 04:23 PM
Why can't people just follow the Golden Rule?:(

I think that's just it - people think the Golden Rule now is "the person who has the gold makes the rules". People feel like they've shelled out their good money to go to the World, and by gosh, NOTHING should interfere with their good time because they paid A LOT for their trip!

If they'd only realize that WE ALL are basically in the same boat (not even considering all the extra stress folks in wheelchairs or ecvs have) and try to make the time more enjoyable for others and themselves, that would be getting back to the real golden rule!

It's just horrible to read about these awful experiences that some of you had, and it's unfortunate that you often remember the bad things just as much or more than the good things. If you ever see a goofy looking short guy with glasses and receding blonde hair there with his beautiful wife and little daughter from China, stop me and say hey, and I'll be glad to give you a hug and give up my place in line for you!

g8rgirl29
01-07-2009, 09:17 PM
In my opinion (4 what its worth), If you have been fighting the parks all day in an ECV or W/C you DESERVE to get on that bus first!!! I am not W/C bound nor do I ride an ECV but if I am in line for the bus and see a person in one of those I direct them to the area where they get to board first. I mean are people crazy????? Do they think that it is easy navigating a crazy park in these things?? And seriously if you have to wait for the next bus, who cares you are at DISNEY!!!! I feel awful hearing about the terrible things that people have had to endure!!!

peemagg
01-07-2009, 11:30 PM
I do feel for people who get their knickers in a twist over people in wheelchairs or ECV's....life has a way of coming around and biting you in the rear... so hopefully people who have shown ugly behavior will be treated with kindness.[/QUOTE]

The only problem with that is that they will be the ones who give those of us who wait our turn a bad name. They will be the ones demanding that they load first and get on rides first and all of that. They may be humbled for only a short time, but then revert back to their nasty self.

I have an aunt who is like that kind of. She went to DL once and they had a bunch of rehabs going on. Well she is mad that "half of the rides aren't working and we didn't pay for half a park". She got free tickets out of Disney and brags about it. She is also my aunt who thought we should buy a scooter for my Dad so she could use it. She didn't need it at the time, but would take one anywhere that she could, whether it be a grocery store or elsewhere. She will never change.

Roland
01-10-2009, 05:43 PM
Hi, interesting subject because I've been to WDW as a 'normal' (I laugh at this remark!) and a disabled person.

I became disabled back in 12/02 so I know the difference from both sides of the fence.

For the greatest part, most people have been rather kind to me and Disney on the whole, has been terrific and I've no complaints! Well, WDW charging me $45 a day is my only complaint....

The Amercian Disabilities Act grants equal not special access. WDW has a method where both are quite satisfactory to me. I cannot walk without a cane and I always need an ECV or I just plain could not go. Wheelchairs are out of the question as my wife is not always with me.

On the whole, driving an ECV is a responsibility of the operator. It may be annoying that some people walk in front of you and stop but driving an ECV is like driving your car through a crowd.

I was at DL just a few years ago with my wife. I did not even look for any handicap entrances and we stood in line like everyone else. Well, don't you know the CM's would pull me out of line! hahahahahaha and here I was trying to act 'normal'!!!

The 'normal' walking people just need to know that those ECV's don't stop on a dime. Some stop very quick and some can roll quite a distance.

Let's just watch out for each other, okay? ;)

LibertyTreeGal
01-13-2009, 07:44 AM
Oh my gosh these stories are just RUDE! Yikes!

My Andy has spina bifida and so a lot of people know now about the folic acid link. So I will be talking with someone and it gets mentioned that Andy has SB and they will say, "well I guess you should have been taking those supplements" in a rather scolding and demenaing way. I respond, "It isn't even remotely my fault he has spina bifida!"

They will then launch into a tirade while I sit (internally with a smug little grin inside my head) as they "educate me" about it and how, since I am older I should have been more careful and when they have gone far enough that they can't dig any deeper I say,

"We adopted Andy."

I just love the look on their faces as I say, "You know, we are rarely gifted with the proper amount of information to judge people the way you have just judged me. I'll bet that happens to you alot and you don't even know it."

:D

Guapo
01-13-2009, 08:33 AM
I just love the look on their faces...

Awesome! :thumbsup:

God Bless You.

pilk
01-13-2009, 11:26 AM
We have been to WDW three times over the past few years. My DW has some muscluar problems. She can walk and move for normal day to day activities but the first time we went to WDW she required a wheelchair. The second time we went she didn't need one, then when we went the third time she needed one again. We were just talking about it and realized that the first and third time she wasn't taking a specific prescription. The second time she had been on the prescription and was ok.

We never really experienced the rude comments, mostly lack of common sense by people. For example, watching parades and people standing infront of us even though we are at the edge of the barrier.

In order to save space and time on the bus she would walk onto the bus instead of the CM driver having to load her and the chair. During one trip the driver "ordered" (in a nice way) her to stay in the chair. He said "You are on vacation and this is what we get paid to do. So, next time stay in your chair and let us help you."

kwhitt3202
01-15-2009, 10:28 AM
I have two in my family in wheelchairs. We get stais and rude comits on my stepbrothers looks (he is verry much special needs) We simply reply by telling people he wont bite. LOL My father is a heart teransplant patient and looks totally fine till he walks to much and turns blue. On daily basis we get commets on both not just at disney so we are used to it.
My favorite two things at disney are when people walk right infornt of a stroller or wheelchair and stop then get mad because you hit them. I simply tell them thats a crazy woman driver for you. That uasually stops things.
on our last trip though we had a lady with a child in full leg cast said she couldnt fold up the stroller ( a regular beby stroller not a special needs stroller) because her child had to stay in it this was ok with people in the line as well as the driver. When every one else was let on I looked and the stroller was empty and the child was in the regular seat. There were people needind seats and couldnt have them because the stroller was in the wheelchair place when it could have been folded up.

13tink13
01-16-2009, 03:16 PM
As many people have already stated, some people are just fools!! I am a special education teacher and see it all the time (even though most of my students are learning disabled and not physically or mentally challenged). What I like to say to "those fools" is this..."some of the kindest, sweetest and most polite people I have ever met are those with challenges--

oh, I do make a point of adding "unlike YOU :ack:"!

Tinkerbellrulz
01-16-2009, 08:01 PM
My son is autistic so he doesnt need a wheel chair but we have encountered some rude people because he doe have a guest assistance pass .... i had one woman tell her 2 little girls that my son was lucky .... that comment i couldnt let go and politely reminded her that most people with guest assistance cards had some kind of disabilities or disease and rather be healthy than lucky to get on a ride 20 minutes sooner :thedolls:

LibertyTreeGal
01-21-2009, 02:42 PM
My son is autistic so he doesnt need a wheel chair but we have encountered some rude people because he doe have a guest assistance pass .... i had one woman tell her 2 little girls that my son was lucky .... that comment i couldnt let go and politely reminded her that most people with guest assistance cards had some kind of disabilities or disease and rather be healthy than lucky to get on a ride 20 minutes sooner :thedolls:

Or how about, "Gee girls, when your mom is recovering from her HEART TRANSPLANT you can get a pass too. But better make it soon, looks like she really needs it."

Stitchahula
01-22-2009, 01:47 PM
I haven't heard anything at disney but I have heard a couple that have made my head spin. The first time was when we were at camp sunshine (a camp for children with life threatening illness's and their families) we were at the next camp that was having a carnival to raise money for camp. Well this man said to his child that they don't have to pay to go to camp they get to go for free. The next time was in a grocery store when the woman was complaining she didn't get a present from a family member because that year the person donated the money to make a wish in everyones name instead. So she didn't get a present so some family can go on a free vacation. I was so mad that I explained that those families would rather not qualify for make a wish. That the price you pay to qualify for a wish is really high. That we would much rather have our children be healthy then be able to go on a "free" vacation. She was rather embrassed when she said I guess I never thought of it like that. Still makes me steamed to think that is how some people think.:mad:

Babyvett
02-03-2009, 06:53 AM
Oh my gosh these stories are just RUDE! Yikes!

My Andy has spina bifida and so a lot of people know now about the folic acid link. So I will be talking with someone and it gets mentioned that Andy has SB and they will say, "well I guess you should have been taking those supplements" in a rather scolding and demenaing way. I respond, "It isn't even remotely my fault he has spina bifida!"

They will then launch into a tirade while I sit (internally with a smug little grin inside my head) as they "educate me" about it and how, since I am older I should have been more careful and when they have gone far enough that they can't dig any deeper I say,

"We adopted Andy."

I just love the look on their faces as I say, "You know, we are rarely gifted with the proper amount of information to judge people the way you have just judged me. I'll bet that happens to you alot and you don't even know it."

I can understand exactly how you feel on this one. My son has Osteogenesis Imperfecta (AKA Brittle Bone Disease) which is a genetic problem. His body doesn't make collagen of good quality which is what makes up the outside support system of the bones. Everyone ASSUMES that its because I did not drink milk while I was pregnant with him. Just the opposite, I forced myself to drink it constantly.. But its not a calcium problem regardless - its a genetic problem.. I just hate when people think they have to "inform" you of how you "screwed up"

BedknobsandBroomsticks
02-13-2009, 02:50 PM
Like someone else said... this is so true. Look past to the next bright horizon. We used a wheelchair for my mom on our last trip and we had only good experiences but I have many an act of cruelty at Disney and elsewhere. Mom didn't want to use a chair but at 71 she couldn't have done the parks without it. She was flabbergasted when the offered to let her go to fastpass entrance and tried to say no. We told her not to be so stubborn. She eventually learned to take the disney hospitality. Children learn what they see every day and are taught by their parent. Once while waiting for the parade on Mainstreet a woman pushing another woman in chair came behind us. The lady in the chair had some sort of skin disorder and looked like she had been burned but I don't think is was burns. Anyway, as is human nature my children started looking and even said she scared them. I immediately took the opportunity to tell them that she looked very nice to me and what a lovely smile she had. She must have an illness and aren't we thankful that we have our health. After we moved over a bit and scrunched up, she moved in next to us to watch the parade and by the end my dd's were talking to her. We can only change the world one kind act at time and pay it forward. Everytime I encounter cruelty I try to remember, thank God I'm not with or married to that guy/gal. Go Go Go wherever you want and ignore all the jerks!:mickey::mickey:

Meteora
02-17-2009, 10:55 AM
Just the opposite, I forced myself to drink it constantly.. But its not a calcium problem regardless - its a genetic problem.. I just hate when people think they have to "inform" you of how you "screwed up"

People would much rather assign blame than accept that sad things happen and it's no one's fault. People are much more comfortable when they can tell themselves that you brought it on yourself rather than thinking that something like this could happen to them or someone they love just as easily. You just have to ignore them and their inability to tolerate the fact that many sad things in life do not have a cause-effect relationship.