PDA

View Full Version : Great Movie Ride / FIRE!!! (Western Scene)

PECOS BILL
11-20-2008, 05:58 PM
Did that get your attention. Well it sure got my attention when the ride story changed and the fire sequence was back during the back robbery scene.
I won't give away the details of the new scene but it was excellent.
This was just a few weeks ago when my wife and I visited. I just thought of it now and figured I'd post.
Has this change up been going on for awhile or did the imaginners just bring it back.
Really adds excitement to the show. And we love it.:thumbsup:

chrisb26
11-20-2008, 06:06 PM
I believe its always been this way however there are two sequences. One is a Ganster scene which they show most often. The other is a western scene that isn't shown as often but it is the one that has the fire.

But I must agree the scene with the fire is much better in my opinion and I've actually waited a couple car loads before to make sure I got to see that version :D

mouseketeer mom
11-20-2008, 06:32 PM
Aaah! You scared me! We haven't done the Great Movie ride in over a year. Glad there was no real fire!!!!

Ian
11-20-2008, 06:56 PM
I believe its always been this way however there are two sequences. One is a Ganster scene which they show most often. The other is a western scene that isn't shown as often but it is the one that has the fire.

But I must agree the scene with the fire is much better in my opinion and I've actually waited a couple car loads before to make sure I got to see that version :DThat's correct. They only show the bank scene when it's busy, because they run two trams at once. The first gets the gangster scene and the second stays behind and gets the Western scene with the fire.

Dragongirlx
11-21-2008, 03:58 AM
We got the western scene for the first time in Septmeber and It was absolutley brilliant.

This is one of my favourite rides in Disney world and my sister has to stop me riding it again and again.

The two different scenes just make it even better

Imagineer1981
11-21-2008, 02:48 PM
That's correct. They only show the bank scene when it's busy, because they run two trams at once. The first gets the gangster scene and the second stays behind and gets the Western scene with the fire.

Hey Ian, hate to argue with you, but its actually reversed. The first tram gets the western scene and the 2nd the gangster

Disnamic Duo
11-21-2008, 03:59 PM
Hmmm...not sure about the sequence thing. We just saw the western/fire scene for the 1st time a few weeks ago. (We've been on the ride several times - we love it!) We didn't know anything about it, so it was a great surprise for us. However, we always go at non-crowded times and always pretty much walk on this ride (there's a line, but it moves continuously and we're in a "car" within less than 10 minutes). So I don't see the crowd having much to do with it.

Meteora
11-22-2008, 12:25 PM
I honestly had no idea they even still did the Western scene. We got to Disney every year and have always gone on this ride. And we have not seen the Western scene in...maybe ten years or so. We usually go during Christmas, but have also been during the off-season. I'm really surprised to hear that the Western scene still exists, as I had assumed it had been retired or cut back. In addition, I know for a fact that on several of those trips we were in the first car (we were even in the first ROW once), and still, no Western scene. Which would lead me to guess that if they are only running one car, they do the bank scene more often than the Western scene.

joanna71985
11-22-2008, 12:48 PM
I prefer the Western scene to the gangster scene.

dtootsie42
11-22-2008, 11:12 PM
In all the years we have gone we have only been on the gangster scene. I told my hubby one day I would love to see the western scene because all of our friends have seen the western scene. Glad to hear it is still an option.

Roland
11-23-2008, 06:10 PM
Hey Ian, hate to argue with you, but its actually reversed. The first tram gets the western scene and the 2nd the gangster

Ian is correct on this and it really depends on how busy the attraction is running.

The first tram NEVER gets the bank fire scene but the second tram may or may not get the bank fired scene. Seems to be a hit or miss on the second tram as I've experienced it both ways.

SpecJoe Magic
11-24-2008, 04:12 AM
Ian is correct on this and it really depends on how busy the attraction is running.

The first tram NEVER gets the bank fire scene but the second tram may or may not get the bank fired scene. Seems to be a hit or miss on the second tram as I've experienced it both ways.

I'm pretty sure that Imagineer1981 is correct. The gangster area is before the western area on the track, so the first tram gets the western scene and the second tram gets the gangster scene simultaneously when both scenes are in operation and two trams are running through the attraction at the same time.

Bringonthemouse!
11-24-2008, 10:42 AM
In our many trips through the Great Movie Ride (at least 20) we have only seen the gangster shoot-out scene. I kept telling my DD that a western version exists and she simply did not believe me. How could we possibly be on a ride that many times and witnessed the same scene every time so I actually started believing myself that there was no way it existed. Well, last week, of the five times we went on the GMR, we saw the Western scene 3 times!! It was excellent! :thumbsup:

ILoveLegos
11-24-2008, 11:28 AM
You can ask if the Western scene is running and then ask if you can see it. That's what I did for my mom on our last visit. She had never seen the Western scene and I had rarely seen the Western scene so after riding the ganster scene, exiting the ride and going back through the queue, the cast members granted our polite request. We had to "wait on the side lines" for a couple of cars to load and depart, and one of the cast memebers pointed out a hidden mickey in the mural while we waited. Then we rode and my mom was so glad to see that there really was another "version" and that he kid was not just nuts! :blush:

MaxPower
11-24-2008, 03:35 PM
There seems to be some confusion as to which vehicle gets the Western scene and which gets the Gangster scene. Keep in mind that all vehicles ride through both scenes. So the real question is which vehicle will experience the "show" performed in each scene.

So here's a breakdown: There are two vehicles that travel through the attraction at the same time, However, each vehicle contains two cars - so when you first enter the loading area, it appears as if there are four cars. The first two cars will travel together with the same driver and the second two cars will follow with their own driver.

SPOILERS BELOW

The drivers pace the vehicles through the attraction on timing. If you look closely, you will see that in each scene, there are small green and red lights that let each driver know when they are allowed to enter the next scene based on the vehicle in front of them.

Vehicle One moves rather quickly through the gangster scene so that it can get to the Western scene.

Vehicle Two moves slowly past the James Cagney figure to allow Vehicle One to quickly make its way to the Western Scene.

At approximately the same time, Vehicle One experiences the bank robbery with the bank fire while Vehicle Two expereinces the Gangster shootout with the moving gangster car with the men shooting. Each vehicle gets new drivers during these shows.

Vehicle One never sees the gangster shootout and Vehicle Two never sees the bank fire even though both vehicles travel through those scenes.

As they both move forward, Vehicle One moves quickly through the Alien Scene so that it can get to the final "show" where the original driver returns. While that show happens, Vehicle Two moves very slowly through the Alien Scene.

Vehicle One then moves slowly through the Tarzan scene so that behind it, Vehicle Two can do its show where its original driver returns.

At some point, Vehicle Two needs to catch up with Vehicle One again- this occurs in The Wizard of Oz scene. Vehicle One enters the Munchkin scene and enjoys the slow appearance of the Munchkins and their entire song--while Vehicle Two barely comes in on just the end of the song and then both Vehicles watch the Wicked Witch Appear. And if you notice, the Driver of Vehicle One has a microphone connected to all four cars at that point so that he can talk to the witch.

So for clarity, with the regular operation of the attraction, it is always Vehicle One that gets the Western Scene SHOW and Vehicle Two that gets the Gangster Scene SHOW. There can be variations if only one vehicle is running.

LandFan
11-25-2008, 08:21 AM
Thanks! I haven't seen the western scene in so long I forgot it existed! I'll have to ask for it this time. We leave in 2 days!! Yipee!!

johnO
11-25-2008, 12:43 PM
I don't think I've ever seen the "fire" scene.....:(

garymacd
11-25-2008, 01:39 PM

You are right. The first tram gets the western scene, the second one gets the red light at the one way bridge and the gangster scene.

We haven't seen the western scene in a long time and would likes ta see it again, youse wise guys!

Natazu
11-25-2008, 09:39 PM
Hey Ian, hate to argue with you, Sometimes he just likes to test us. ;)

dmewd
12-01-2008, 01:19 PM
We just saw the western scene for the first time this last weekend. It is definitely our favorite!

Tinkerbella16
12-01-2008, 03:38 PM
Yes!! We got to see the Western scene a few weeks ago also!!!! It was the first time I've ever seen it...and me and my mom were confused. Good thing I read this thread because that clears that up! It was much better than the bank robber scene!!

Imagineer1981
12-02-2008, 12:38 PM
Sometimes he just likes to test us. ;)

yes he does!

2Epcot
12-03-2008, 09:33 PM
You can ask if the Western scene is running and then ask if you can see it.

That's what we've always done. I guess I'm one of the exceptions, because we've seen both versions on every trip to WDW. We always ride twice, and I asks for whatever one we didn't see the first time. I don't think I've ever been there and only seen one scene.

Pigtunia
12-09-2008, 04:17 PM
I love the Western scene, but I've think we've only experienced it twice ever (a small percentage of the times we've riding GMR).

This year we went at a quiet time (early Nov), so they were only doing the Gangster scene.

IamBelle
12-15-2008, 05:09 PM
i don't think i have ever seen this, i don't think i ever even heard of it. i remember the gangster scene, and then we go into the western, but i don't remember a fire. so while we are in the gangster scene, the car ahead is in the western room w/ a bank fire? is this new? i went on in aug. but never seen it.

Imagineer1981
12-16-2008, 02:32 PM
i don't think i have ever seen this, i don't think i ever even heard of it. i remember the gangster scene, and then we go into the western, but i don't remember a fire. so while we are in the gangster scene, the car ahead is in the western room w/ a bank fire? is this new? i went on in aug. but never seen it.

nope, as stated this is how it works. Car 1 gets western and car 2 gets gangster. on slow months they only run gangster.