PDA

View Full Version : New Boxer Puppy

DAKustodial
11-19-2008, 09:46 AM
So my wife bought me a 3 month old Boxer puppy last Monday for my 30th birthday, which is on Friday. I've wanted a dog since we first moved in together, and she decided she was finally ready to take on the challenge with me. I was going to take him to PetSmart for puppy training classes since I haven't trained a puppy since I was a kid, but he has kennel cough and isn't allowed to be around other dogs until it clears up. So, my wife and I had a dog trainer come into our house to help teach us how to train him at home.

Does anyone have any experience with Boxers or with at home puppy training? The trainer told us to keep him crated downstairs while we are in bed at night, but he cries for hours. If we put him in the crate in our bedroom he falls asleep in about a minute. We're teaching him all of his other commands and he's doing well...we're just worried about him having separation anxiety when we leave the house. Thanks for reading!

SBETigg
11-19-2008, 10:16 AM
Congratulations on your new puppy and best wishes!

I only have second-hand knowledge of boxers. Our good friends had one. Their puppy was very attached, devoted, and active. He got really depressed left at home alone while they worked. After a week, they ended up checking him into doggy day care. He was so active and affection-starved when they weren't there for the long hours they worked that the daycare was a great option. There are a surprising number of kennels who provide this service, but I'm not sure of cost.

DisneyLandMomma
11-19-2008, 12:53 PM
I don't have any advice as we got our boxer when he was almost 2 but I will say they are the best dogs.

DreaminofDisney24
11-19-2008, 01:19 PM
Our two sheltie pups are 6 months old now, but have been crate trained since day 1! Their crates are in our bedroom-one on either side of the bed. They love sleeping near us, especially since they are pack animals. They also have no issues when we leave for the day (I sometimes think that they just think we're still in the bed:secret:)and really have come to enjoy their "special rooms". However, after crate time, lots of excercise and love and affection is needed! I have heard reasons for keeping the crate in the bedroom, and keeping it out, so it's whatever you feel works best. For us, the crates in our bedroom works best and we have two happy pups at night!

RenDuran
11-19-2008, 01:53 PM
Boxers are nuts...and I say that in a good way! They are extremely active dogs...so make sure your puppy gets a lot of exercise!

I'd bring the crate into your bedroom at night. We did that with our puppy until she was about 6 months old or so and could be trusted in our room at night without being confined to her crate. As one of the previous posters noted, dogs are pack animals and since you're going to be alpha dog, let them sleep close to you, even if it's right outside your room in the hallway!

jonah'smom
11-19-2008, 04:38 PM
We got our boxer when he was about 7 weeks old. He also was crate trained. However, we have no problems keeping the crate in our living room. He whined a lot during the night at first, but got used to it. He has no problems with staying in his crate during the day while we are gone, either. When we are home, he is out of the crate and right up under us wherever we are. He is the best dog for our family! Boxers are great. He is three years old now. I'm not a "dog lover", I personally wouldn't have one if it were up to me, but DH & DS really like having him as the family pet. And if I must be truthful, I actually probably love him too. If I must have a house dog, boxers are my choice! Good luck with your new puppy!!!

pink
11-19-2008, 05:51 PM
I don't have any advice on training Boxers but a family friend of ours has one and it's one of the best dogs. The only advice I can give you is since they grow to be big dogs, don't train him to be a lap dog now or he's always going to think he's a lap dog. Congradulations! :mickey:

Dulcee
11-19-2008, 09:03 PM
Our dogs have never had crates so I can't help much there. Dogs are pack animals though and if you want your new pet to grow up as a family member move the crate to your room at night. Dogs were never meant to be solitary and your new puppy just left having many of his own canine companions to snuggle up with at night. Bring him into your room so that he feels safe and included and the whining will die right down..

DAKustodial
11-20-2008, 09:36 AM
Hey Everyone,
Thanks for all of your advice and tips! We did actually have him sleeping on our laps for the first few days until we were told by the trainer that it was a big no-no. We don't want a 70 pound dog sleeping on our laps in a few months! I think we are going to continue to move the crate back and forth from our family room during the day to our bedroom at night, at least until he's totally housebroken, then we'll leave it in our bedroom all the time.

He is incredibly affectionate and follows my wife and I everywhere we go...he's always at our feet. The reason we chose a Boxer is I read that they are very intelligent and good with children. Our only real issue so far is his biting our feet and pants, which we're doing our best to break him of. It's kind of funny but won't be funny when he's a little bigger!

Thanks again for all your help, folks!

laprana
11-20-2008, 10:08 AM
Awww! Congrats on the new puppy! It sounds like he's going to have a great home with your family!

Our only real issue so far is his biting our feet and pants, which we're doing our best to break him of. It's kind of funny but won't be funny when he's a little bigger!

I think this is probably more of the "puppy" than the "boxer," and he'll probably grow out of it. I laughed when I read that, though, because I have a teeny tiny shih tzu, and he did the exact same thing when he was a puppy! Best of luck with your new buddy! :puppy:

Stitchahula
11-22-2008, 11:11 AM
My dogs have all slept in my bedroom with us. At first it was in a crate then it was in our bed. One of them was my velcro dog she was 100% lap dog even though she was about 75lbs. I wouldn't have had it any other way but that was my choice. She didn't try it with anyone else she knew it was ok with mommy though. The biting you do need to put an end to though also if the pup start to chew on the leash. Try to think of it as instead of being cute right now how cute will it be when the pup is full grown do you want them to do the same thing will it still be cute. Have fun with the new furbaby and enjoy puppyhood it only last a little while before they become teenagers at around 7-9 months and you start to wonder what happened to all your training. Don't worry though they do out grow it you just have to survive the "teens".

J9
11-28-2008, 10:35 PM
First off, congrats on the new puppy!

The trainer told us to keep him crated downstairs while we are in bed at night, but he cries for hours. If we put him in the crate in our bedroom he falls asleep in about a minute.

I have a 2 year old Bichon (her name's Brie) and she did the same thing. Brittany (our old dog) slept in the crate downstairs without any problems, but Brie just cried and cried and cried all night. She actually even cried if we put the crate in my parents' room, although she did eventually fall asleep there after a few hours.

We didn't know what to do! My cousin is a vet so we asked him, and he said that some dogs just don't like to be crated and will never get used to it. We tried putting her in bed with my parents, but she didn't like that either. Eventually we just gated off our kitchen, bought her a donut bed and left her there at night. Problem solved! She sleeps all night now and even puts herself to sleep at about 10 pm. I guess she was just a little Miss Independent!

You might want to try it without the crate for a week or so and see if that solves your problem like it did ours!

DAKustodial
12-02-2008, 09:48 AM
Hey Folks,

Thank you for all of your great advice and tips! Charlie is sleeping in his crate in our bedroom close to our bed and has been doing great! We tell a little white lie to the trainer when she asks if he is sleeping in a room by himself...we just couldn't get him to do it and for the sake of sleep and sanity we decided our room was the best place.

Other than that, he's starting to get that we are, in fact, in charge. He respects me a little bit more than he does my wife, but he's getting better. Usually if he's biting now we can redirect him with a sharp "No!" and by handing him a toy. He IS a challenge though!

Quick question...has anyone here noticed that when a puppy becomes overtired they start getting wild? When Charlie is really tired he refuses to lie down and sleep. Last night he was running around for about fifteen minutes straight, then sat and stared at us while swaying back in forth while sitting, trying to keep himself awake while his eyes were closing! I think he's thinking if he falls asleep, he's going to miss some party or something!

RenDuran
12-02-2008, 02:51 PM
Glad everything is going well with your puppy. But remember....he's your dog, so you don't have to lie about where he sleeps!

DreaminofDisney24
12-03-2008, 04:04 PM
Our pups are almost 7 months, and they totally get really really wild when they are too tired. We put them in their crates (they have a hard time settling down together)and they are out like little lights. I guess they are still learning to read their own little bodies and don't quite get it when they are too tired to just lay down! Ha! We are dealing with the teen months though, and that's been a whole adventure in itself....

DAKustodial
12-09-2008, 12:49 AM
Our pups are almost 7 months, and they totally get really really wild when they are too tired. We put them in their crates (they have a hard time settling down together)and they are out like little lights. I guess they are still learning to read their own little bodies and don't quite get it when they are too tired to just lay down! Ha! We are dealing with the teen months though, and that's been a whole adventure in itself....

I have heard that the "teen months" are some of the most difficult for dog owners, so we are OK with the child months for now!

I know that after a couple hours of being awake, even if he is acting really energetic, Charlie gets exhausted! As soon as I throw a treat or his Kong into his crate he lies right down and passes out. It's still a learning process for the three of us and we're all getting there...I can't believe just how much I love this dog though after only one month. My wife, who was never a dog person, hugs him every fifteen minutes! He has the greatest personality and I don't even remember what life was like before him.

RenDuran
12-09-2008, 12:06 PM
It is amazing how fast they become part of the family.

DreaminofDisney24
12-09-2008, 12:11 PM
Holy heck, these teen months have been crazy. I read a statistic that said the most pups are given away between 6-8 months..i can see why! I would never, ever give our girls away, but what a trying time! Kallie has decided that housetraining is only for losers and Kaya loves to chew everything she can get her little paws on (doesn't help that one of the cats knocks things down for her!)...One of our cats is on prozac because of the girls-how funny is that! But you're, right...I can't imagine life without any of them! Their christmas presents should be arriving today to stuff in their stockings:blush: