PDA

View Full Version : Flying Fish - is it worth it?

Belle619
11-18-2008, 09:27 AM
Hi all,

Well, this new promotion has me rushing to get ADR's for the first week of February - not an easy task. In a moment of panic on the phone after finding most places were booked for a Saturday night dinner, I made ressies at Flying Fish Cafe.

After looking at the menu on the Disney website, I'm a little concerned about the cost and I'm hoping that it is worth the money. Don't get me wrong, we aren't normally concerned about prices, but I just haven't heard much about this place.

I would greatly appreciate any comments on the Flying Fish Cafe! Thanks!

henry.james.s
11-18-2008, 09:39 AM
The Flying Fish has been one of Disney's finest for several years. I've been going there for years. In fact I'll be there exactly 2 weeks from tonight.
Everything on the menu is great. The NY Strip is my favorite steak of any on property. And their seafood is OUTSTANDING. Chef Tim Keating has brought some great new things to the FF and the staff there, alot of them have been there from day one, are SUPER.
I'll be there a total of 3 times on my 10 day trip..thats how much I think of it. :thumbsup:

SBETigg
11-18-2008, 10:54 AM
I haven't been, but I've read rave reviews from sources I trust. To my experience, most of the Signature dining at WDW, like California Grill and Narcoossee's, have been well and above worth the cost. Excellent dining. If you're looking for a great meal, I think you're in for a treat. If you're not into fine dining, though, maybe it's not worth it to you. That only you can decide.

DisneyHoneymooners
11-18-2008, 12:15 PM
We ate there for our first time back in September--totally worth it!!
We had calamari and crab cakes for appetizers,the DH had the snapper and I had the salmon. It was all excellent.
I can't speak so much about dessert...probably because I was so full by then!

princessesmom
11-18-2008, 12:51 PM
My husband and I ate there several years ago on a night when my parents kept the kids. It was excellent. If it was easier to get to with WDW transportation we would go back. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Maleficent's Dad
11-18-2008, 05:08 PM
I'm waiting for Jym to chime in here...he's done quite a bit for the FF by adding huge crowds thanks to his famous "review!" ;)

The Flying Fish is, IMHO, a very good restaurant. It's not the kind of place to go and expect a quick meal. It's to be enjoyed... even though the ambiance is not stuffy and over-the-top, it's high quality food. Since it's on the Boardwalk, it presents more like a "theme park" restaurant. The decor is referred to as "whimsical," with subtle "fish touches." It is a bit loud for a signature dining establishment, but the noise level has never been an issue for us.

Personally, I prefer the menu when there are "specials" or any "new" entrees. While I enjoy almost all of their foods, I am particular to certain fish...

They have a wonderful (albeit raw) tuna appetizer. The crab cakes are also very nice.
There is a seared tuna entree (rare inside) as well as a wonderful scallop dish.

The best meal I have ever had here was in October 2007. There were several new/special items on the menu and I was dining with my brother who is a real foodie. He was very impressed.

So to get to the OP's original question - is it worth it? Personally I love it - and never skip this restaurant when I stay around the BW area (2 times+ a year). But as stated previously, with WDW transportation, we will miss it if we're staying elsewhere. I have been known to sneak out of EPCOT's WS to get a quick fix at the kitchen counter (read: drink & appetizer).

But I admit - I'm biased towards most things on the BW, love seafood, appreciate fine food, and have developed a nice appreciation for the FF.

henry.james.s
11-18-2008, 05:40 PM
Like I said in my previous post in this thread..I'll be there 2 weeks from RIGHT NOW!!
Anyway this entree was/is on the menu @ FF and if it is I'm having it..sounds AWESOME!!

:chef: From Chef Tim I'm sure it is!!

Special Thunder Meat Entree - Grilled Wattleseed and Pepperberry-glazed Berkshire Pork Loin - Wilted Rhapini, Grilled Portabello Mushrooms, Duck-Roasted Fennel, Balsmamico-Laced Bing Cherry Red Onion Compote, and Horseradish-Lemon Gremolata.
:wine::eat::woohoo:

PetefromRI
11-18-2008, 07:05 PM
We had the Red Snapper and it was delicious.It's they're signature dish.It's a little pricey but the food and service was excellent and the ambience is awesome.Give it a go,it's really very good!

Belle619
11-19-2008, 11:10 AM
Thank you all for your advice! I definitely feel a lot better about our reservations. We are staying at the Yacht Club, so hopefully transportation won't be an issue!

We do LOVE food - our parents owned a grocery store/butcher shop growing up - so we definitely appreciate a nice meal.

Thanks again! :eat:

Natazu
11-20-2008, 04:25 AM
Yes

henry.james.s
11-20-2008, 07:59 PM
Yes

That about sums it up folks!! :number1: