PDA

View Full Version : The wife wants to bring a toaster

KevMcNJ
11-17-2008, 10:08 PM
to POFQ

I say theres no way thats gonna be allowed

I looked online and they dont say you cant bring toasters into the rms. Of course that means nothing , they say nothing about animal sacrifices in the rooms either and Im sure thats frowned upon too

Please tell me its not allowed so she doesnt try and pack a toaster

TIA

wifey5794
11-17-2008, 11:17 PM
Could you say it is a fire hazard?

mook3y
11-17-2008, 11:44 PM
yep not supposed to.

However, there are toasters available by the food court.

Posterchild
11-18-2008, 02:30 AM
I've done both. Took a toaster, but like others have said the food court has a nice commercial toaster (They used to, its been a while) with "Conveyor belt action"

Since I am generally tasked with the morning coffee run (Refillable Mugs yay!), i would take said bagels/toast and do it all on one fell swoop. I seem to remember obtaining trays in some nefarious method as well.

Have a nice trip!
JP

DizneyRox
11-18-2008, 07:36 AM
Please tell me its not allowed so she doesnt try and pack a toaster

Do what I do... "You pack it, you carry it!"

Has worked wonders to bring down the amount of junk that used to make it into the luggage. Did I ever mention that I like to walk EVERYWHERE! No escalators, no moving sidewalks, no golf carts to the rooms, etc.

With all the weight restrictions on planes, and limits to the number of bags, you would certainly save more money just buying toast or whatever than paying the overweight/extra bag fees, etc. And that's if it does make it on the trip in worlking condition. Those bags get trhown around real good! Just not worth it.

BigRedDad
11-18-2008, 07:50 AM
Tell her if she brings a toaster you are bringing a 52" LCD. Bringing a toaster is ridiculous in my opinion. First, it is a fire hazard. Second, they have them available at all resort food courts. Third, what the heck needs to be toasted while on vacation?

JerseyDad
11-18-2008, 04:06 PM
Tell her if she brings a toaster you are bringing a 52" LCD. Bringing a toaster is ridiculous in my opinion. First, it is a fire hazard. Second, they have them available at all resort food courts. Third, what the heck needs to be toasted while on vacation?

....the appropriate question should have been: Are you packing the bread too?

KevMcNJ
11-18-2008, 09:59 PM
....the appropriate question should have been: Are you packing the bread too?

we're packing something for breakfast.
Donuts, bagel & cream cheese. something.

our Coffee pot did come with us last year.
Yes I know, many rooms come with one.
But they are tiny. And never come with enough coffee or real cream. And we like our own mugs . And I like waking up with a fresh pot already brewed

Her thinking is we eat well at breakfast and we are good to go for a while and we can just hop in the car and head to MK, epcot etc.

We are driving down so we are pretty much free to pack as much junk as we care to. Its only the two of us and we own a mid size car .

Im thinking we will be visiting the food court every morning whether she likes it or not

I have enough ammo here. She will not be taking the toaster

TinyDancer
11-19-2008, 10:17 AM
I would just like to say this has been one of my favorite threads in all of my time on Intercot. :thumbsup:

brad192
11-19-2008, 10:27 AM
Posterchild, I read your response to the OP and thought WHAT?? He's done BOTH?? Brought a toaster AND sacrificed animals in his room?? :jaw: Too funny! :rotfl:

LandFan
11-19-2008, 10:33 AM
I would just like to say this has been one of my favorite threads in all of my time on Intercot. :thumbsup:

Me too! It has given me quite a :D

BigRedDad
11-19-2008, 10:39 AM
If you are driving, then bringing it is less of a hassle. However, fire hazard still exists.

mrmcgiv
11-19-2008, 11:13 AM
So funny, I had the same thought! It would be so nice to have a toaster in the room..along withj some emglish muffins, bagels and POP TARTS! We could have a fast breakfast to hold everyone over for quite a while and get the day started w/o even leaving the room! BUT we are flying..and the toaster may not make the trip well! or the bread/muffins etc!

As for the coffee makers, they stink too! :sick:I may bring mine if we drove. I need more than a spot of coffee to start the day..we filled that pot up 3-4 times a morning! What a pain! But it did the trick.

AND..If I suggested we bring a toaster....my husband's response would be the same as yours. Add in some eye rolling, heavy sighing and more.:sick: In the end...the toaster would come, i would carry it....gladly...what do they weight...2 or 3 lbs! And I bet he would be glad to have whatever I gave him out of the toaster in the morning!!! SO there :)! :)

I say bring the toaster!!!!!!!1:thumbsup:

However, if we did not have little kids that NEEDED to eat breakfast..I would skip the toaster! It would be more for them!

Happy travels!

WDWFanatic
11-19-2008, 12:32 PM
I guess it comes down to what's more important...

Happy wife or
toaster free room?:thumbsup:

iheartdisney
11-19-2008, 01:38 PM
Me? I'd pick "happy wife." But maybe I'm biased....being a wife and all. :minnie:

princessjojo
11-19-2008, 01:56 PM
I would conveniently forget to put it in the car... But I also thought a toaster fell in the same category as electric hotplates & microwaves which aren't allowed.

mouseketeer mom
11-19-2008, 09:26 PM
Can she settle for a box of granola bars or something that doesn't need to be toasted?? The last thing I want to do on vacation is operate any kind of household appliance! Including a toaster! But..as another poster said...if it would make her happy...

garymacd
11-20-2008, 09:23 PM
Posterchild, I read your response to the OP and thought WHAT?? He's done BOTH?? Brought a toaster AND sacrificed animals in his room?? :jaw: Too funny! :rotfl:

Ah. Yes..

College.

Those were the days!

CanadianWDWFan
11-20-2008, 09:38 PM
We always take a toaster with us whenever we drive down. It sure does make it more convenient to have breakfast for us all before we leave the room.

BugeyedMuggy
11-21-2008, 09:37 AM
I say let her! (this is posted by Bugeyed Muggy's wife )

vicster
11-21-2008, 10:28 AM
When my daughter was in college they couldn't have toasters in their room - fire hazard. She and her roommate made toast on their flat iron - I got a good laugh out of that.

Seasonscraps
11-21-2008, 10:49 AM
I would conveniently forget to put it in the car... But I also thought a toaster fell in the same category as electric hotplates & microwaves which aren't allowed.

This is what I thought as well.

ariel326
11-21-2008, 11:13 AM
If I were driving and really wanted to, i'd take it....Its nore more of a fire hazard in WDW than at home.. :thedolls:

Lynn J Mc
11-21-2008, 02:00 PM
I am the queen of over-packing but I never thought of taking a toaster. But I don't like toast. I have contemplated taking a humidifier. There won't be a fire hazard if used properly. And just unplug it when you leave the room. I would put it in a tote bag so folks didn't see me lugging around a toaster. I have one special tote for my personal pillow that I won't go more than an hour away from home without. Take the toaster!

Polynesian Dweller
11-21-2008, 02:43 PM
If I were driving and really wanted to, i'd take it....Its nore more of a fire hazard in WDW than at home.. :thedolls:

The issue isn't if the device is normally a fire hazard or not, the real issue is whether given fire codes, electrical standarads, and room occupancy codes in Florida allow the toaster. I know that where the hotel I owned was located we could not allow it because fire codes and room occupancy laws made items like that illegal.

The room occupancy thing is about what is the purpose of the room. If its not a 'housekeeping unit' then you cannot allow such activities. Thaa's partially due to municipalities regulating the number of each type of room in a given zone (which they do) so they can plan services (water, hydro, etc.) and fire protection. Any time you have items based on heating elements etc. there is a statistical increase in the probability of a fire.

It would be nice to hear from a resort CM so we'd know for sure and before we all assume that is OK at Disney hotels.

pamickeys
11-21-2008, 03:17 PM
typical two slice toaster draws @785 watts, while your hair dryer draws @1875 watts of electricity

EeyoresBestFriend
11-21-2008, 07:24 PM
I haven't laughed so much in a while.
OMG, a toaster. . .
We eat toast everyday for breakie and go down to the food court to get it. It is good exercise and fun to absorb the atmosphere of the resort, inside or out where ever you choose to eat. If you want to spend all that time in the room ~ why'd you go on vacation? :)

Polynesian Dweller
11-21-2008, 08:01 PM
typical two slice toaster draws @785 watts, while your hair dryer draws @1875 watts of electricity

Still not the issue. The toaster is a heating element that is intended to burn things. Yep, toasting is a form of burning and toast does burn under certain conditions.

Seasonscraps
11-21-2008, 09:02 PM
Ok, because I am a loser I had to call the resort. :blush:

I was told guests are not permitted to use cooking appliances in their rooms at Port Orleans.

iheartdisney
11-21-2008, 10:22 PM
<big sigh of relief> Thank you, ChristineC, now I can get some sleep! :mickey:

Seasonscraps
11-21-2008, 10:40 PM
I am glad I can help :rotfl:

Marilyn Michetti
11-21-2008, 11:32 PM
Why not stay in one of the cabins at WL? DW could have her toaster, and cook, and wash dishes, and never get away to see the parks? :D

Dawneeeey
11-22-2008, 09:10 AM
This thread is so funny!!! I am glad someone called to check, and I know people still do stuff against the rules, but I was thinking fire hazard.

DH got a kick out of this threat too!!

Good time. :)

KevMcNJ
11-22-2008, 09:30 AM
This thread is so funny!!! I am glad someone called to check, and I know people still do stuff against the rules, but I was thinking fire hazard.

DH got a kick out of this threat too!!

Good time. :)

As the starter of this thread, let me just say the wife has told me many times that I am most funny when Im not trying to be funny at all

Im thinking this is one of those times.;)

goofygirl67
11-23-2008, 10:49 AM
I did bring one a couple of years ago, didn't even think it wasn't allowed. I was able to make egg mcmuffins, this toaster also cooks eggs. I put it in a brown paper bag, and carried it in. After it cooled down I put it back in the bag and went to the parks. During the winter months I have brought my hot pot for hot cocoa. Last couple of years I was just too lazy to bring either of them down.

ElenitaB
11-23-2008, 01:08 PM
OP, sounds like your family is looking to have all the comforts of home while on vacation. Maybe it's time to start looking at getting a home away from home at WDW... have you heard Goofy's secret? ;)

EeyoresBestFriend
11-24-2008, 10:51 AM
I just wanted to reinforce the fire hazard point. POFQ happens to be our favorite resort ~ so if any of you does bring a toaster and burns the place down ~ I'm sooo going to be comin after you!! :)

Don't even think about it . . . .

ihavealipfreckle
01-06-2009, 10:40 AM

My sister is correct on that. But she has a personal connection to this one b/c she once tried to bring an iron on a band trip...

mrsgaribaldi
01-06-2009, 10:51 AM
That's to much cooking for me. If I don't cook at home, I don't want to on vacation :blush:

jrkcr
01-06-2009, 11:29 AM
First I should say, I was a firefighter waaay back in the day. And I still have moments of overly safety conscious behaviors. Don't get me started on these little electric heaters DH likes to have sitting around the house! :mad: If no one is in that room,I cut them off, "someone" cuts them back on...and I cut them off again. And yes, we own a fire escape ladder to throw out the second floor windows, etc. Last week, I was in the living room, and smelled something burning! I started yelling "somethings burning" and walking quickly through the house sniffing like a bloodhound, still yelling "somethings burning". (No one paid much attention to me, cause I do this quite often). DD16 had incense burning in her upstairs bedroom. Needless to say, she won't be doing THAT again!
BUT...
I can't see where a toaster that pops up and shuts itself off, would be more of a fire hazard than those dinky hotel coffee pots! Unless it gets set to a high setting and actually starts to burn the toast, and sets off the smoke detectors. That would be bad.
But if you leave them both "on", at least the toaster shuts down after a minute of toasting....coffee pots can keep "cooking" for hours!
So I think they are both evil and should not be used. :thedolls:

goofy for pluto
01-06-2009, 01:09 PM
I say bring the toaster.
As long as you are careful, (I would unplug it before leaving the room.) and you will have enough room for it in the car.
If it makes her happy, why not let her bring the toaster.
She might even make you breakfast. :tasty:

KevMcNJ
01-06-2009, 01:34 PM
I say bring the toaster.
As long as you are careful, (I would unplug it before leaving the room.) and you will have enough room for it in the car.
If it makes her happy, why not let her bring the toaster.
She might even make you breakfast. :tasty:

We unplug the toaster every day when we go to work.
She BETTER make me breakfast, I will be on vacation:blush:

Id forgotten about posting this thread.
Trip is coming up soon. MAYBE the toaster will go w/us.

As a funny side story, My class went to Disney world for our Senior Trip in March 1983.
I brought the family pop corn popper. I made popcorn both nights in our hotel room down there (off site)

Our plane back to NJ was delayed so I asked one of the chaperones if I could make a batch of popcorn in the terminal while we waited. she saw no problem with it, so I did.

different era of course. I doubt making hot oil in an airport would "fly" these days
(pun very much intended)

momof3+twins
01-06-2009, 03:50 PM
Sorry to tell you that I called POP directly and the person I talked to doubled checked with management and you CAN bring them AND coffee makers also. Think curling iron, they get hot. Yeah, my toaster almost caught my house on fire because it shorted out. But, the honest truth is that Disney is allowing this.
We ended up not taking it because of space issues but someone might find this info helpful.

Seasonscraps
01-06-2009, 04:14 PM
Sorry to tell you that I called POP directly and the person I talked to doubled checked with management and you CAN bring them AND coffee makers also. Think curling iron, they get hot. Yeah, my toaster almost caught my house on fire because it shorted out. But, the honest truth is that Disney is allowing this.
We ended up not taking it because of space issues but someone might find this info helpful.

See this is part of the problem, CM's do not provide consistant information. Back on page 1 or 2 of this thread I posted that I called Port Orleans and they said cooking appliances can not be brought in by guests.

Which CM is right? :confused:

thrillme
01-06-2009, 07:17 PM
I say as long as you "unplug" the toaster and do not let it run around the room by itself...you'll be fine. I wouldn't ask too many questions...The worse that would happen is the management ask you NOT to use it IF they catch it. I doubt they're going to have managers go room to room looking for contraband toasters. The mousekeepers really aren't interested in your toaster unless you leave crumbs in every nook and cranny.

Many resorts provide coffee makers, blow dryers AND irons (those irons are "devilish" things...I much prefer to throw the clothes back in the dryer till it gets it right). ALL of these things can catch fire.

For a cast member to say no cooking appliances it's so much easier than saying, you can't bring stoves, fire pits, microwaves, bunson burners, but you can bring toasters, coffee makers provided you unplug them.

If you think about it how many have left the curling iron plugged in? How about the coffee pot when you've left the room? The TV??? Anything electrical can arc.

Alas...to stop the wife from bringing the toaster...it's dangerous to get between a woman and her toast. A friend of mine loves to pack for a "nuclear winter" (one time she took 37 shirts for her 5 day vacation...last trip she cut back on the shirts but had 11 pairs of shoes and half of Sam's Club in snacks). All you're talking about is a toaster. HA HA. :D

Her husband just drops her off at the curb, while he parks and lets her haul it all in.

goofy for pluto
01-06-2009, 11:13 PM
I say as long as you "unplug" the toaster and do not let it run around the room by itself...you'll be fine.
:) :silly: :D

Alas...to stop the wife from bringing the toaster...it's dangerous to get between a woman and her toast. HA HA. :D

My DH would agree with you. :laughing:
Our Mickey toaster burns all but the first piece of toast, but I will not get rid of it because it looks so cute on the counter. LOL :mickey: