PDA

View Full Version : Cost of sending a package to yourself??

dfamasb
11-15-2008, 11:43 PM
We are flying down in February and I am thinking about shipping down some things. We have always driven before so I've never had to even think of doing this before. My question to those that have done it...approximately how much do you spend sending yourself a package?? I would be shipping things like diapers, breakfast foods, etc...

After a bit of research I think grocery delivery may be the less expensive way to go. Thoughts??

BigRedDad
11-16-2008, 06:27 AM
It would be an unfair comparison for me on shipping costs. However, a typical package would cost about $25 if it is not extremely heavy. My company has a contract with DHL and we pay less than DHL employees. A 50lb package that is not over-sized will cost me about $20 for second day air.

Disney Doll
11-16-2008, 01:15 PM
I paid about $25.00 to ship a 20lb box of diapers, baby food, and snacks. I do think grocery delivery can be cheaper, but in our case none of the Orlando grocery delivery services carried our brand of diapers or baby food.

disneyfan328
11-16-2008, 04:56 PM
just remember that grocery delivery usually has a minimum plus a delivery charge so just take that into account when you figure out which is cheaper. When we went last time we had 5 people 3 adults and 2 kids ages 6 & 8. It was easy to pack the 6 & 8 year olds in one suitcase so I used the other allowed bag to pack snacks, cereals, water flavoring packets ect in. Then since we ate up and used all that stuff during the week we had am empty suitcase to bring back suveniers.

dfamasb
11-16-2008, 06:55 PM
Thank you for your replies everyone! We will be travelling with 4 adults, 2 preschoolers and a toddler. Gardengrocer.com has a $40 minimum and only a $12 fee. I'll be able to get my diet dr. pepper this way and milk for breakfast.

BigRedDad
11-17-2008, 08:12 AM
At that price, I would use GG as well. Shipping would cost more than that and you cannot ship drinks (weighs too much).

damhnade
11-18-2008, 02:33 PM
It was easy to pack the 6 & 8 year olds in one suitcase

You packed your kids!? ;)

wendy*darling
11-19-2008, 09:30 PM
You packed your kids!? ;)

:funny:I was thinking the same thing! :silly:

Back on topic- I, too, think the grocery delivery is the best way to go. :thumbsup:

spoiledraf
11-24-2008, 10:09 PM
It would be an unfair comparison for me on shipping costs. However, a typical package would cost about $25 if it is not extremely heavy. My company has a contract with DHL and we pay less than DHL employees. A 50lb package that is not over-sized will cost me about $20 for second day air.

Unfortunately, DHL's business plan and prices made them a non profit company. They have since discontinued ground and air service in the United States.

UPS.com has a quick time and cost calculator. a 25 pound box from NE Ohio is $17.60 and take 3 days. Should be about the same from anywhere in the midwest.

djbinding
11-25-2008, 08:58 AM
I checked a big igloo cooler with beer and soda at the airline and paid extra for exceeding the 50 lb. weight. It wasn't that much and it arrived with my other bags.:beer: