PDA

View Full Version : Wl & Ecv

ChrisF
11-15-2008, 03:09 PM
Hi, I have been reading about some bad experiences with ECV users and bus transportation. Rude people, comments and hard getting on and off buses.
Due to health problems, medication I am taking, tiring easy, and occasional pain with standing for long periods of time, I was thinking of renting a ECV, just to be on the safe side.
We are staying at WL, being this is a smaller resort, I was thinking the bus lines would not be long which seems to add to resort guests frustration when a ECV is waiting in line to load. Any input would be helpfull. Thank you.
:blush:

TheRustyScupper
11-16-2008, 01:36 PM
1) People are people all over.
2) They do not change because of the resort or park.

NOTE: Based upon the water level, you may be able to get the ECV on the big launch from WL to MK. If the water level is too high or too low, the ramp does not work well enough to load ECV's onto the boat.

TheDuckRocks
11-16-2008, 04:54 PM
NOTE: Based upon the water level, you may be able to get the ECV on the big launch from WL to MK. If the water level is too high or too low, the ramp does not work well enough to load ECV's onto the boat.

We will be staying at WL for the first time in Dec. Is there any way to find out what the water level situation is before "motoring" all the way down to the dock and then have to come back and go out to the bus stop? I'm not worried about me (the ECVer) as my poor hubby who bravely has to keep up with me and my wheels.

BigRedDad
11-16-2008, 04:54 PM
I think some of the peoples "manners" around ECV's is the transportation policy that they are boarded on the buses first. There could be a line of 200 people, an ECV or wheelchair come up and they board first.

Not in your case, but there are many people that have ECVs that do not need them. My feeling for ECVs is maybe unique. Most of them think they have the right of way and can run over who they want. I also see far too many people using ECVs that do not need them. Being overweight is not a need for an ECV, it is the reason not to be in one.

Hammer
11-16-2008, 05:29 PM
I think some of the peoples "manners" around ECV's is the transportation policy that they are boarded on the buses first. There could be a line of 200 people, an ECV or wheelchair come up and they board first.

Not in your case, but there are many people that have ECVs that do not need them. My feeling for ECVs is maybe unique. Most of them think they have the right of way and can run over who they want. I also see far too many people using ECVs that do not need them. Being overweight is not a need for an ECV, it is the reason not to be in one.

You have no way of knowing if a person could have other issues which require them to use an ECV and are making a snap judgment. The person could be overweight due to reaction to medical treatments. Some people have other disabilities which are not evident to an observer. My mother, for example, uses a wheelchair most of the time. She looks perfectly fine and can transfer out of a wheelchair or ECV with little trouble, but we know she had a mild stroke in 2005 which keeps her from standing for extended periods and she does not have the stamina to walk a theme park which necessitates the need for the wheelchair/ECV.

By the way, I'm moving this thread to the Special Needs forum as you will probably get more first hand experiences there.

ElenitaB
11-16-2008, 07:51 PM
I also see far too many people using ECVs that do not need them. Being overweight is not a need for an ECV, it is the reason not to be in one.
I am overweight and I need an ECV... yes, I was overweight when diagnosed with cancer many years ago. It's a battle I've been fighting for a long time, one that I was winning when first diagnosed. However, it's now a battle that has been made triply difficult due to the chemotherapy drugs I receive (contrary to the "opinion" of the uniformed, certain chemo drugs make you gain weight, not lose it), the steroids I receive to allow me to withstand the chemo and the anti-nausea medications I take before and after each treatment. As a result of a negative reaction to one drug, I developed severe neuropathy in my hands and feet, and was semi-paralyzed for several weeks. Three years later (actually to the day), the neuropathy persists but I thank God every day that I can walk and type again. A blood clot that developed after my third multi-hour surgery damaged the blood vessels in my lower right leg together with an enlarged lymph node in my groin have made it such that I now have lymphedema in my right leg. It swells and is painful if I walk on it too much (and by too much, that means something as simple as a trip to the supermarket). I also now have emphysema after three years of being on chemo.

Could you perceive any of that from merely looking at me? No, the only thing you'd be able to say is "look at that fat woman on the ECV." And I'm sure that many do think just that... it's hurtful but I feel no need to explain my physical shortcomings to anyone in the parks (I'm on vacation too, you know).

I can tell you that I would do ANYTHING not to be overweight and NOT to have these ailments, but that is out of my hands. Also out of my hands is the uninformed opinion of people who chose to ridicule and not seek to understand. Try walking a day in my Crocs (which I must use because my right foot is too swollen to fit in a regular shoe), cause I'd sure love to walk a day in anyone's who is healthy enough not to have to use an ECV.

ElenitaB
11-16-2008, 07:54 PM
We will be staying at WL for the first time in Dec. Is there any way to find out what the water level situation is before "motoring" all the way down to the dock and then have to come back and go out to the bus stop? I'm not worried about me (the ECVer) as my poor hubby who bravely has to keep up with me and my wheels.
Kay, we'll be at WL in December as well. I'm planning on calling down to the front desk each morning to see if they can answer that question.

disneydeb
11-17-2008, 06:29 AM
Warning:

I will need a EVC this year.
One may not be able to detect that I have had a stroke and walk with a bit of a drag to my foot, causing stress to my hip , leg and ankle. I am also battling phlebitis in my ankle.
No one will be able to see my health concerns, but you will be able to detect that I am overweight. I hope people are kind to me. I wish them no harm.
I have never used an EVC before, but when you were a babe in your mother's arms at Disney, I may have given her my seat.
I do realize the people here on Intercot are well versed on this subject and I am "preaching to the choir". I just needed to get this off my chest. I am so worried about the bus issue.:(

Have a Disney Day!
God Bless and take care.

TheDuckRocks
11-17-2008, 09:20 AM
1) Thanks Ellen for the hint about calling down to the desk and asking. That sure will beat going down and standing (well, Ok parking) in a line.
2) Ellen, hugs and a double thank you for explaining once again as to why so many of us don't "look" like we need to use an ECV other than being overweight. Due to new medications I take I've once again put back some of the weight I had lost and know I'll be getting the "eye". I would love to be able to go to WDW and not have to use an ECV, that just will never be an option for me again.
3) Disneydeb, you will do fine getting around with an ECV, just be aware at all times that the "normal" people sometimes forget that we are zipping around below their line of sight.
4) I am so thankful for Disney and their understanding and help in making a Magical Place that all of us can enjoy vacationing with our families.