PDA

View Full Version : After-Market Car Stereo HELLLLLPPPPPP!

thrillme
11-14-2008, 10:32 AM
WOW...all I want is an auxillary plug (FM transmitters just don't do the job).

I was thinking about a new car stereo, but it's becoming more complicated by the day.

I currently have an XM capable stereo with a CD player. I want all the same features only I want to have an AUX plug. I can control the stero from my steering wheel.

I was estimating about $300 for this but now I'm not sure it's even possible. I'm so confused. XM READY seems to be VERY "misleading" because it sounds like I have to buy and antenna and tuner if I want an XM service (to me it's not very READY if I have to buy $150 worth of stuff to make it work...it seems like READY should mean...I just get a subscription to the service and it will work)...

AND...I don't know if I'll be able to mute and turn up the volume from my steering wheel like I do now.

BigRedDad
11-14-2008, 12:26 PM
I used to install stereos part time for cash. If you want an after market stereo, the best thing to do is go somewhere that installs them. It is not as easy as you may think and it definitely is not inexpensive. You have to buy the stereo, the cable chassis, the this's and that's. It will add up. See what a car stereo shop can offer and do.

thrillme
11-14-2008, 01:01 PM
It oughta be a law that all stereo's come with an AUX port. SIGH

Itchy
11-14-2008, 01:05 PM
If you are thinking after market radios at $300 and want xm radio and still have control from the steering wheel you may want to consider a factory radio upgrade. The steering wheel controls are now linked throught the cars computer. Not knowing how old your vehicle is you may try to go to the dealer where you bought the car and inquire on an upgrade trade.

The other option is to go to an auto recycler where they strip wrecked cars, you can get radios there but with the anti theft protection on them you will need to get it programed to work with your cars computer.

Hope this helps:mickey:

Marilyn Michetti
11-14-2008, 01:31 PM
I have one in my Prius, but I don't know much about using it. My DH is the one in the family that likes playing with all the buttons while he's driving. I'm not that good.:blush:

Ian
11-14-2008, 02:02 PM
I think you have two choices ... you can take it to a car stereo installer, tell them what-all you want, and then pay whatever it takes to get it done (probably pricey ... maybe as much as $1,000) or you can make due with the FM transmitter.

You may (and I stress may) be able to look under your dash at the back of the stereo and find an input you could use there. I'd try that first.

DizneyRox
11-15-2008, 10:32 PM
Your best bet is probably going with the factory upgrade path. Check on what upgraded factory radios had for your car/truck. You can inquire on eBay or a local salvage yard for one. Chances are it will plug into your existing wiring harnes sand work.

If you want to go aftermarket, you're probably going to end up spending much more than you think.

A third option is to maybe add an external amp hooked directly to an aux plug mounted at your location and then hooked up to your existing speakers. Its probably more complicated than that however.

With todays cars, the radio is often an integral part of the electornics package. For example, mine display engine messages as well as works volume on the navigation, which is also hooks to the computer to alert me to low gas, etc. I wouldn't think of being able to raplace the radio with something non factory and still have all those functions work.

BTW - It also does have an aux jack thankfully!

Finally, yes, XM ready means it will control an external (non portable) XM reciever. Those are an additional charge, as is an antenna, although, you can probably use your exisitng antenna. Many card these days already come with an antenna installed though, check online as some hobbyinst sites for your car, you may be able to find a bunch of info.

thrillme
11-17-2008, 10:01 AM
Boy...they sure make it complicated these days.

I stopped into a "speciality" shop to check into what I could do. (Since my car's a 2007 they don't have a factory upgrade available but I tried).

Well to get everything I want (pretty much what I have PLUS a AUX jack) I'm looking at a minimum of about $600. SIGH.

The alternate solution is a WIRED FM transmitter which will run about $165-185. The sales/tech swore by this as being a great solution to my issue because he said he had the same problem. He said he has a very expensive Boise system in his vehicle and it's all interconnected. To change out the radio would pretty much mean changing out a lot of other things since it was "customized". The FM Transmitters never worked well until he tried the WIRED solution. Since it's directly hooked to your stereo it minimizes interference since it will produce a stronger direct single.

How does this sound to all ya'lls?

DizneyRox
11-18-2008, 07:27 AM
Basically, what a wired FM solution does is feeds the signal directly into the antenna feed into your radio. The signal should be much stronger and therefore not as static laden.

They reccomend those for satellitel radio installations and I hear they work pretty well. I don't have any first hand experience, but the concept seems pretty straight forward.

The price seems a bit high, I would check around at other install shops. A hardwired module for my Sirius radio runs about $15. Installation would probably take about 30 minutes but I'm not ready to take apart my dashboard.